snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 14 November 2017, 05:03 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
If we could talk about Bill Clinton's issues without it taking away from the issues of everyone else, especially conservatives like Moore or O'Reiley, then it might be a conversation worth having. Or if we could have a good, helpful conversation about sexual harassment in general.

But most of the conservatives that would bring it up wouldn't be interested in actually addressing sexual harassment by Bill Clinton or anyone else, they just want to deflect attention away from their own issues. IOW, they aren't bringing this up to begin a conversation about sexual harassment, they are bringing this up to start a conversation about starting a conversation.

Just like they (pretty successfully) deflected the NFL protests against biases in police activities into a conversation about the protesting.
Tell me about it! I always wonder what that has to do with the here and now.
Local Talk Show Host has been discussing the Moore allegations and yes, some people have been calling in and saying what about Bill Clinton....? LTSH's response: what about him? He then goes on to point out that the topic currently under discussion is so-and-so's bad behavior that is happening right now or just recently, not something that Someone Else did two decades ago.
Old 14 November 2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Tell me about it! I always wonder what that has to do with the here and now.
You could just as easily be referring to Ann Coulter's reaction to the Roy Moore accusations.
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...15636431679489
Quote:
Hey Dems! JFK had an extra marital affair with 19-year old Mimi Alford when he was 45 years old.
Old 14 November 2017, 07:22 PM

JFK is an especially interesting one because when Republicans aren't bringing up Mimi they spend a peculiar amount of time trying to claim that he was really a conservative.
Old 14 November 2017, 08:44 PM

Ha, I hadn’t seen that one.

It really shouldn’t be a bipartisan issue. The party or religion or success of a predator has nothing to do with their sickness or crime. I don’t think arguing about it being a long time ago is really relevant either, for any of them. A spade is a spade and we should all be on the same page when it comes to outing them and refusing to victim blame.
Old 14 November 2017, 08:52 PM

Hey, Anne Coulter! JFK has been dead for 54 years. What exactly do you want us to do about it?
Old 14 November 2017, 09:05 PM

"Hey Ann, you want me to smack the corpse up a little?"
Old 15 November 2017, 01:13 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
How long is it going to take before conservatives can talk about sex without invoking Bill Clinton?
I wonder how long before the conservatives can talk about anything without invoking Bill Clinton. It was somewhat understandable during the Bush II years since Clinton was his predecessor, but whatever your opinion of the guy, Bill Clinton hasn't been in the White House for some sixteen years. So can we just stop with discussions that go like this:

Liberal: Republican currently did something bad.

Conservative: But Clinton lied about his extramarital affair!

I'm wondering how long this trend will continue if at some point in 2042 or something, we'll have a discussion that goes like this:

Liberal: President Barron Trump sold us out to the skin-eating lizard monsters to save his own skin. He lives in a crystal palace and regularly romps on a big pile of money, while his constituents die at the hands of the skin-eating lizard monsters created in the wake of the Nuclear Apocalypse, which came about when he got drunk wanted to test if the nuclear launch codes still worked.

Conservative: But Clinton lied about having an affair with a White House intern!

Okay, I freely admit to exaggerating for comedic effect, but still. As the immortal John Oliver puts it, it's all a derailing tactic and we should stop falling for it. While it's generally the right thing to do, assuming someone is acting out of good faith and is merely mistaken/misinformed, it's abundantly clear that's not true about the GOP.

Weird thing is, while the "But Clinton!" defense still has legs, our culture seems to have developed a collective amnesia about the guy who came after him. It's like the only thing any of the pundits remember about the years 2000-2008, is 9/11, and have forgotten anything else. But why would the GOP try to pretend that Bush II never happened? I wonder...
Old 15 November 2017, 01:22 AM

To be fair to Bush II, his marriage seems to be one thing he managed to avoid screwing up.
Old 15 November 2017, 01:36 AM

And, to be fair, the article is not conservative, it’s not about his affair, and no one in this thread is derailing anything.

I can’t stand listening to conservative news so maybe I’m not as wary as people who stay current. But for me, a celebrated liberal who was president and who was accused by 3 women of sexual assault is a very relevant subject in a Weinsteining thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Hey, Anne Coulter! JFK has been dead for 54 years. What exactly do you want us to do about it?
Ok, yeah, I was personally referring to people who were diminishing stuff Moore and Spacey did in the past, and now Clinton. I agree JFK should probably not be on the table.
Old 15 November 2017, 01:59 AM

Default Women on Capitol Hill speak out about sexual harassment

California Democrat Jackie Speier said she knows two sexual harassers -- one a Democrat and one a Republican -- who are still in Congress. She said complaints against them include "victims having their private parts grabbed on the House floor," she said.

Speier herself was assaulted when she was a Hill staffer.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/women-o...al-harassment/

This really stuck out to me:

Quote:
Speier blames a Byzantine reporting process on Capitol Hill that requires victims to wait at least 90 days before they can file a sexual harassment complaint.

"The present system may have been OK for the dark ages; it is not appropriate for the 21st century," Speier said.
It’s discouraging how behind our own lawmakers are.
Old 15 November 2017, 02:09 AM

It's funny, well, not really, but the state senator from my district has been having numerous harassment complaints leveled against him for the past few weeks.

He's also been accused of smoking in his office at the state senate, resulting in the door being removed, and he's been removed from every committee he'd been on. There's currently a petition to have him sacked, since he refuses to resign.

My family has known his family for a long time, and neither my dad nor my aunt are surprised by the accusations: "he's always had bad judgement" was one of the nicer things they had to say about him.
Old 15 November 2017, 10:16 PM

Icon101 Roy Moore lawyer brings up Ali Velshi’s ‘background’ while defending client

Roy Moore lawyer brings up Ali Velshi’s ‘background’ while defending client from underage sex allegations

The lawyer for Roy Moore brought up an MSNBC anchor’s “background” when defending the embattled GOP Alabama Senate candidate over allegations he sexually harassed and pursued romantic and sexual relationships with underage girls.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ground-n821121
Old 16 November 2017, 05:18 PM

Default Sen. Al Franken accused of forcibly kissing, groping L.A. news anchor Leeann Tweeden

Sen. Al Franken accused of forcibly kissing, groping L.A. radio news anchor Leeann Tweeden

A radio news anchor on Thursday accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., of forcibly kissing and groping her a decade ago when they were overseas entertaining U.S. troops.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...-woman-n821381
Old 16 November 2017, 05:43 PM

Gee, I wonder what story Fox News will talk about to the exclusion of every other story?

ETA: Not that this story shouldn't be talked about. Especially since the picture shows that Franken had boundary issues. (Even if he isn't actually touching her, mock groping a sleeping woman is an issue.) But, like Fox News talked to death about the Weinstein mote in Hillary's eye while ignoring the twin logs of Ayers and O'Reilly in their own eye, they will act like this is they only sexual harassment / assault allegation in the entire world.

FETA: "Mote" is not intended to say that Weinstein's alleged actions were minor, but to indicate that Hillary's connection to him was much less than Fox News' connection to their boss and one of their biggest stars.

Last edited by GenYus234; 16 November 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:00 PM

Let's see if Al will do the right thing and resign without having to be forcibly removed from office.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:47 PM

Another woman is accusing Franking of harassing her:
Old 16 November 2017, 06:57 PM

A 16-year old girl accused actor Sylvester Stallone of sexually assaulting her in 1988 while he was shooting a film in Las Vegas, according to a police report written at the time, The Daily Mail reported Thursday.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/16-yea...into-threesome
Old 16 November 2017, 06:59 PM

Default Franken releases new statement, calls for ethics investigation of himself

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...ion-of-himself

He's not quitting, but he did call an investigation into his own behaviour.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:59 PM

I wonder how much of Congress would have to resign, if every one of them who has done such things were to do so.

Maybe we could have a whole new set of elections!

(I don't think most men go around groping women against their will, or did even in the 1960's and 70's. But it may well be, and have been, more common among men in positions of significant power.)
Old 16 November 2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
A 16-year old girl accused actor Sylvester Stallone of sexually assaulting her in 1988 while he was shooting a film in Las Vegas, according to a police report written at the time, The Daily Mail reported Thursday.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/16-yea...into-threesome
I assume that article means that a woman is accusing Stallone of assaulting her when she was 16 and not that a 16 year old is accusing him of assaulting her 13 years before she was born?