snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 03 November 2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
ganz, I don't follow what distinction you're trying to make there. A traitor is one who commits treason, no?
Well, OK. I plead ignorance. You're right about that. (I thought they were different.)

The point I was questioning is why someone has to pledge allegiance to commit treason or what that has to do with the comparison. Any subject or citizen can commit treason without ever having sworn an oath.

The lesser (but more interesting, IMO) is arguably a bit of a nitpick: Is it the case that most of the revolutionary leaders never swore allegiance to the crown? Even if they didn't, they were certainly legally bound to that allegiance as subjects of the King. Parliament had made that quite clear to the colonists and its immigrants. Many of them (if perhaps not quite most) had indeed taken such oaths and paid to have their oaths registered so that they would be considered subjects.
Quote:
The statues to Lee in effect honor him specifically for defending slavery. That's the way of life, that's the heritage that Lee was fighting for.
100% agree.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 03 November 2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03 November 2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
TYSHTTP:

Please don't walk into our clinic and ask the veterinarian to diagnose your skin infection or whatever the hell you've got on your arm. That's what human doctors are for. Also please don't ask the receptionist what she thinks it is. I think you should take your nasty rash out of my office and over to the walk-in clinic, because I am not a human nurse, and frankly you are a weird creepy dude. Thanks.
Maybe he had the mange?
Old 03 November 2017, 03:45 PM

Doesn't sound like Cervus thought he was foxy, though.
Old 05 November 2017, 09:08 PM

If you wouldn't talk to your other colleagues like that, don't talk to the cleaner like that.

Also, don't scold the cleaner like a recalcitrant child in front of your client. It's unprofessional and it may, as in this case, result in the client being reticent to ask said cleaner to mop up a puddly mess on the floor.

Definitely don't moan about your cleaner to the other cleaner. We are capable of communicating to each other.

And last but not least, you can put up with the sound of a heavy vacuum cleaner being trundled across the floor for a few seconds. Yes, I *could* lift it and carry it to the corridor, but it's heavier than a standard upright vacuum cleaner. It's not as if I was actually vacuuming while you were talking and as the cleaning cupboard is in the same area as you are working then I will have to cross your path while trying to do my job. My apologies, but I haven't been trained in either teleportation of levitation yet. You will see me and maybe even hear me. Stop glowering at me whenever I enter the room, please!

ETA: this same person also once complained that 'all the tables are sticky!'. When I politely asked which ones she was forced to admit it was just one table, in a different room. I pointed out I hadn't been able to clean that room yet because there had been people using it when I first arrived. She snapped 'there was nobody there when *I* arrived!' which makes me suspect that she genuinely believes the cleaner just magically appears the moment a room is emptied. Also, apparently, one table is now all the tables.

Last edited by Blatherskite; 05 November 2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12 November 2017, 02:50 PM

Don't tell me you need my help for an hour when you know what you're really asking is for me to help you out for the whole afternoon. One does not equal four and there is a big difference to me in committing an hour of my day versus the entire afternoon!
Old 12 November 2017, 03:06 PM

Third parties aren't responsible for your spouse's failure to honor marriage vows. If they knew your spouse was married, yeah IMO they should have laid off. But that doesn't give your spouse a pass.
Old 13 November 2017, 11:46 AM

Whalephant

You're at Disney World. Your texting/emails can wait the two minutes while you ride an attraction.
Old 13 November 2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Third parties aren't responsible for your spouse's failure to honor marriage vows.
I've had that discussion/argument with others so many times. It is a lot easier to blame the third party, but unless you are involved with someone who is not able to make decisions on their own, your partner is the guilty one. (And if your partner is not capable of making their own decisions, ick.)
Old 13 November 2017, 08:48 PM

I think it's a compartmentalization attempt. If you make it the third party's fault, you don't have to change anything. If you acknowledge that it's your partner's fault, then you have to either change something about your relationship or choose to roll over on the fact that your partner made that choice.
Old 13 November 2017, 11:19 PM

I can understand that. But what inspired the post was a listicle supposedly about people who "got revenge on a cheater." In a couple of the items, though, the cheated-on took revenge on the cheater's side-piece (always, I'm sad to say, straight women taking revenge on the straight women their male partner had cheated with).
Old 13 November 2017, 11:37 PM

My niece was the "other woman" when her husband's first marriage ended. Now a few years later she is the wronged wife as his second marriage crumbles. I'd have a lot more sympathy for her now if she'd behaved differently the first time around. Not that this means she's at fault for her husband having an affair, but I don't see her as the innocent bystander the first time around and, well let's just say it's really hard not to point out "what goes around, comes around".
Old 14 November 2017, 01:45 AM

"If he'll cheat with you, he'll cheat on you."
Old 14 November 2017, 02:13 PM

Tsk, Tsk

To everyone out there: This is not a good idea!
Old 14 November 2017, 11:18 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
To everyone out there: This is not a good idea!
Hey! That's my story for tomorrow's "News from the World of Stupid" radio feature!
Old 16 November 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
Hey! That's my story for tomorrow's "News from the World of Stupid" radio feature!
I'm sure you'll have no problem finding another story.
Old 19 November 2017, 12:01 AM

While it is rarely, if ever, appropriate to tease someone about their name you do realise you're not actually insulting them but rather you are insulting their parents? At least in most circumstances anyway!
Old 19 November 2017, 06:26 AM

Icon02

Who the heck started this urban legend about Santa only giving gifts to children who have been good during the year? Pernicious nonsense.
Old 19 November 2017, 08:39 AM

Have you been naughty Ganz.
Old 19 November 2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Who the heck started this urban legend about Santa only giving gifts to children who have been good during the year? Pernicious nonsense.
Coal. if given, is still technically a gift, and under the proper circumstances may be a superior gift to other items.
Old 19 November 2017, 12:37 PM

Clean coal?

I quote L Frank Baum, who knew as much about Santa as any mortal ever did:
Quote:
And, afterward, when a child was naughty or disobedient, its mother would say:
"You must pray to the good Santa Claus for forgiveness. He does not like naughty children, and, unless you repent, he will bring you no more pretty toys."
But Santa Claus himself would not have approved this speech. He brought toys to the children because they were little and helpless, and because he loved them. He knew that the best of children were sometimes naughty, and that the naughty ones were often good. It is the way with children, the world over, and he would not have changed their natures had he possessed the power to do so.
Closed Thread