snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 03 October 2015, 04:46 PM

Defiantly a racist film,whites are rich and do not spend time with their children rising them, with some becoming uncivilized brats. Then we see blacks as poor, have strong families and communities with their children learning good moral values.
Old 03 October 2015, 05:09 PM

PBS did a documentary about Walt Disney a couple weeks ago. Song of the South was discussed on it- Walt actually hired some consultants before making the film. They gave him a list of things to make sure he didn't do in the film.

And he completely ignored it.
Old 03 October 2015, 05:22 PM

There was actually a number of progressive elements to the film for the time but yeah, there's a whoooole lot about it that's problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Defiantly a racist film,whites are rich and do not spend time with their children rising them, with some becoming uncivilized brats. Then we see blacks as poor, have strong families and communities with their children learning good moral values.
It was those stories about Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Fox that turned Johnny into an uncivilized Brat, stealing that puppy and lying about it. Miss Sally had to have words with Uncle Remus over that and order him not to tell Johnny any more stories. Uncle Remus was mighty chastened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
I guess that many people don't understand that it took place after slavery was abolished, so that Uncle Remus was a free man. But still...
The movie makes a few oblique references that it's set in the Reconstruction era but the former slaves are so ridiculously obsequious and servile to the plantation owners that many people assumed it was set pre- Civil War.
The fact that they were all perfectly happy to stay and do the same work on the plantation really feeds into that whole "But some slave owners treated their slaves well and it was a pretty good life for many of them" slippery slope argument that always seems to be brought up by pro-South history revisionists.
Old 03 October 2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Okay, now it makes more sense to me. But I have already stated many times, that I don't defend slavery. I don't see though how showing an ex-slave being satisfied with his life is so offensive, that people would complain already when the movie was made back in the 1940s. I guess that many people don't understand that it took place after slavery was abolished, so that Uncle Remus was a free man. But still...
First of all, in the two posts of yours that I quoted when making the reply that you just replied to, you were explicitly referring to slaves, not to ex-slaves. So whether or not the movie does so doesn't really affect what I was saying.

Second of all, or maybe it ought to be first: ending slavery didn't immediately make everything fine. The masssive cultural destruction and individual damage that slavery had caused is still working its way out today, let alone back in the 1940's -- not to mention in the 1870's.
Old 03 October 2015, 09:49 PM

I'm wondering if we'll even hear from Furienna again within the next couple of years.