snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 25 August 2008, 10:21 AM

Default Crane counterweight crushing car

My searches here found nothing, although google found some discussions claiming it was fake - has this been covered before?

Crane counterweight falls and crushes a vehicle - lucky cameraman, or cgi?

Whilst I found a few news references to similar incidents in the UK and US, they all seemed to limit the damage to workers on a construction site.
Old 25 August 2008, 11:25 AM

Australia

The low quality of the video does make it rather hard to tell as to what is real and what is fake.

Here are some of the things that tell me that it is fake:

1) There is sound -- how many people do you know could witness something like that and not make a single utterance? There is not even a sharp intake of breath.
2) The driver is one calm cookie. The car on the other side of the road gets pulverised and he or she doesn't brake, swerve or do anything other than casually continue down the road.
3) The debris from the crushed car spreads across to the other side of the road (in the direct path of the camera car) yet there is no noise? Having driven over the remnants of a car crash (broken glass and some small bits of metal), I can tell you it makes a fairly decent amount of noise.
4) How lucky that the right-hand counterweight doesn't move at all. The left-hand one falls over but the other remains completely upright (convenient, otherwise it would have toppled into the path of the camera car).
5) On sound again, for two weights of that size to fall that distance there is simply not enough noise. In fact I'd very much think there would have been a significant shockwave -- enought to have rattled the camera (yet no such thing happens).
Old 25 August 2008, 11:54 AM

The big giveaway for me was the location of the crane vs the tree the weights fell through. As the vehicle is approaching the trees, the crane can be seen well off in the distance, well behind the trees. Then we see the weights hit the car after falling either between the trees, or through one of them.

I'd say it is a fake.

(And that's before I get out my calculator and do the trigonometry to determine the distance to the crane)
Old 25 August 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
The big giveaway for me was the location of the crane vs the tree the weights fell through. As the vehicle is approaching the trees, the crane can be seen well off in the distance, well behind the trees. Then we see the weights hit the car after falling either between the trees, or through one of them.
Um yeah, are we really supposed to think that it was the crane in the distance that fell on the car? I don't get that.

Surely all that had to be done was for the creator to make enough passes before he got a car on film that was in the right spot....
Old 26 August 2008, 12:04 PM

Jaded

And, based on the way it seemed to hit, there would have almost certainly been a fatality. That means world wide 'weird fatal news' coverage.
Old 09 September 2008, 09:11 AM

Don't construction sites use protective systems to prevent this?

I mean, quite apart from all the checks and balances that should prevent the thing from disengaging and actually falling in the first place, don't they keep the crane and counterweight inside their construction zone? I'm just not sure I could picture them dangling such a heavy object out over a road - checks and balances bedamned.
Old 09 September 2008, 03:25 PM
Gadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
...don't they keep the crane and counterweight inside their construction zone? I'm just not sure I could picture them dangling such a heavy object out over a road...
Maybe that's why it drops so much quicker than would be plausible if the car hit was actually beneath the weight. Perhaps the videographer realized that if he waited until he was close enough to have a car genuinely beneath the weights, it would reveal that the construction zone prevents cars from driving beneath it. So he may have just hoped that the distance to the crane would be hard to determine.

And I agree with UEL. It seems pretty evident that the crane is too far off for the weight to have dropped where it did.

Gadon,
Old 09 September 2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
don't they keep the crane and counterweight inside their construction zone? I'm just not sure I could picture them dangling such a heavy object out over a road .
Not always, come to Manhattan and I'll show you a whole bunch.
Old 10 September 2008, 07:27 AM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
Not always, come to Manhattan and I'll show you a whole bunch.
Or Kungsholmen in Stockholm. Sometimes it seems I'm living in a construction site.
Old 10 September 2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Don't construction sites use protective systems to prevent this?

I mean, quite apart from all the checks and balances that should prevent the thing from disengaging and actually falling in the first place, don't they keep the crane and counterweight inside their construction zone? I'm just not sure I could picture them dangling such a heavy object out over a road - checks and balances bedamned.

I would imagine that some areas of the world might well be a little less regulated in this area.
Old 12 September 2008, 10:16 PM
Ezri

I'm not buying it, it seems that the crane is too far in the distance to be the one dropping the weight. In fact while watching the video I was thinking, "How is that thing going to get to a car?"