snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 January 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
When I was in high school, some kid brought a jar of Nutella into the lunchroom and a riot broke out.

You must have gone to school in France.
Old 29 January 2018, 03:44 PM

Icon401

My senior class had a group picture taken on the bleachers. Two guys got the bright idea to unzip and air out their assets. They were towards the back with people in front of them, so there really wasn't anything to see.

Yearbooks were given out to seniors at a senior party/gathering, so we got them before the rest of the school. (That practice had been stopped for a few years and had just been reinstated.) The guys couldn't keep their mouth shut and people blabbed.

That resulted in the administration cutting out the pages that contained the picture before distributing yearbooks to the rest of the school. When were were back in class, a day or two after the gathering, they called students who had received the yearbook down to the office to have their pages cut out. One of the girls was in tears because she was on the yearbook committee and had her picture on the other side - she didn't know what would happen until they ripped out the pages.

I was typically a goody-two-shoes, but I refused to have my yearbook altered. I just pretended to go , and some others followed suit. I had the guys in question autograph the picture.

My memory is a bit hazy from there. I believe that the boys weren't allowed to participate in the graduation procession, but they may have still gotten the diploma. I'm curious at how bad the situation was because one of them was related to a local official. I believe that some people thought the prank was funny but most were annoyed at the childish stunt and that it cause the yearbook to be ruined.

I also recall that our school made the news because of drug-related activity, but I'm fuzzy on the details as well. I believe that at least one of the students was either using or dealing on the property.

Last edited by Phantom; 29 January 2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 29 January 2018, 07:41 PM

Junior year a bunch of the rising star players on our football team got expelled for beating the **** out of another high school guy from a neighboring town. The incident took place in the school parking lot at night, where people would go to drink/maybe smoke? and hang out. Apparently the guy was flirting with one of our guys' girlfriends.

In retrospect it's amazing it wasn't swept under the rug. The only guy who was involved and wasn't expelled was the guy who I guess drove them there and was super cooperative afterward with the investigation, etc. So the next year all the big guys on our football team who should have been seniors were pretty much gone.
Old 29 January 2018, 08:09 PM

Sadly, pretty much the same scenario happened where I work this year, and it was more or less swept under the rug. The kids were arrested, but as far as the school angle, they had a suspension of a couple of games each and then were back on the team.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:36 AM

Junior year, I skipped a school wide invitation to what was supposed to be a drama type presentation on making good choices (like not driving drunk). I had an exam I needed to be present for and didn't trust the instructor to excuse me if I went.

That presentation somehow turned into a revival that took over the school for the entire day and attracted a lot of media attention. I was on the receiving end of large amount of crap because I was one of a handful of students who did not attend. Most of the school administration failed to see the problem with any of this. It was not a fun time.
Old 12 February 2018, 03:17 PM

Icon22

Astra, was it something like this?
Old 12 February 2018, 05:10 PM

Just speaking for myself, I would pay cash money to attend that kind of revival.
Old 12 February 2018, 05:56 PM

Squirrel

I knew where that link went before I clicked on it.
Old 12 February 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Astra, was it something like this?
No, involving squirrels would have been a massive improvement. I loved that song as a kid.