snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 January 2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I vaguely recall our school having an edited version of that film, that they'd made by dubbing it from the original VHS cassette. I can't recall if we had to still fill out a permission slip to watch it (wasn't it rated R?).
We saw it too, in the ninth grade, at a special showing at a local theater. The theater gave us a substantial group discount.

Since it was 1968, it might have just gotten in under the wire and not received a rating.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 23 January 2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
When that version was originally released it was rated M, based I believe on a quick glimpse of Olivia Hussey's breasts and a much longer view of Leonard Whiting's behind. My sister saw it under this rating.

When it was re-released, I believe the rating was PG-13. I saw it with this rating.

This is based on personal recollection, so if someone knows better, feel free to chime in.
I don't know what the rating was. I know that in 1968 I was 16 or 17, depending on whether it was the fall or spring semester; and was one of the younger students in the class. So it might not have mattered.

My personal recollection agrees with a quick glimpse of Juliet's breasts and a somewhat longer one of Romeo's buttocks. I was very young and innocent for 16 or 17, and I remember being afraid that he would turn around (though not afraid enough to stop looking!). In 1968 that amount of nudity in a movie was pretty shocking in itself, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Can't say if this happened at your school, but myself and other students did lie and say we were doing drugs when they passed out anonymous surveys. Hopefully it all averaged out with the students that were doing drugs and lied about it the other way.
I don't know whether any specific students told the truth or lied about specific incidents; but I do know that there was certainly some drug use at the school. I think they weren't actually asked about specific incidents, just in general whether drugs were available.

I do clearly remember a long magazine article, in Life I think, about life on hippie communes, in which one of the people interviewed was quoted as straight out telling the reporters to their faces that the commune members often lied to reporters. The rest of the article went right on reporting as if they had no idea that could happen.

-- it might have been this issue, though I'm not curious enough to buy it in order to check.
Old 23 January 2018, 03:18 PM

"The Incident" in junior high happened on the annual trip to San Antonio's Riverwalk. A kid fell in the river. I think horseplay was involved.

In high school, "The Incident" was always something to do with the senior prank. One year, before I was even in high school, the seniors manage to put quotation marks around the "High" in our high school entrance sign. When I was a junior, the seniors broke into the school bus depot and let all of the air out of the bus tires so that kids were late to school all over the district. My senior year, it was when seniors broke into the school, cut locks off of lockers, and dumped everyone's books and papers into one big pile (my locker was just missed in the destruction).

Some pranks were more clever than others. Most of the time, it seems, they caught those involved and wouldn't let them go to prom.

Last edited by Ellestar; 23 January 2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 23 January 2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I do clearly remember a long magazine article, in Life I think, about life on hippie communes, in which one of the people interviewed was quoted as straight out telling the reporters to their faces that the commune members often lied to reporters. The rest of the article went right on reporting as if they had no idea that could happen.

-- it might have been this issue, though I'm not curious enough to buy it in order to check.
This type of thing was soundly mocked in a run on Doonesbury. Reporter Roland Hedley was doing a feature on "the new hedonism," and Zonker winds him up with stories of, among other things, a campus lilac bush being a new, extremely potent strain of marijuana.
Old 23 January 2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
When I was in high school we had a short, stocky, soft-spoken, "everybody's friend" principal, Mr. A--.

Well one day two senior boys got into a big fight in one of the halls, and Mr. A-- grabbed each by the shirt collar and hurled them apart, almost effortlessly.
I'd completely forgotten about this incident until I read this post. The teacher involved in this particular incident certainly didn't have a reputation as everybody's friend, though. "The incident" was when he lost his cool when his class was being particularly unruly, culminating in him yelling and literally throwing a chair at a student. I was not in his classroom when it happened, but I was in the room next door and heard it go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There was also an incident on a school club trip.
This isn't "topic titles you swore you saw...", but in my current caffeine deprived state I misread "school club trip" as "school strip club".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
In my school it was Macbeth, we needed a signed form from our parents to see it not because of the violence but because of the completely gratuitous shot of a nude Lady Macbeth. AFAIK they never showed it again.
My English teacher showed us Macbeth my senior year. Since we were the AP English class she probably figured we were mature enough to handle it.
She did, however, walk over to the TV and "censor" Lady Macbeth with a manila folder or something during the nude scene.

We watched Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade, too. I recall there being a bit of catcalling in response to Juliet's nipple and Romeo's butt, but nothing serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post
One year, before I was even in high school, the seniors manage to put quotation marks around the "High" in our high school entrance sign.
My senior year some of my friends and I made a banner to change the sign in front of our school from "high school" to "trailer park", because they had just put a bunch of those mobile classrooms on the front lawn. Or calculus teacher even liked the idea and let us go out and measure the sign during class time*. I didn't go along to actually put the banner up, but apparently when they got there there was a cop parked in front of the school to stop any pranks from going down, so they weren't able to actually put it up.

*A large portion of the class was gone taking the AP chemistry exam or something that day, so for the few of us that were there it was essentially a free study period. She wasn't teaching an actual lesson that day.
Old 23 January 2018, 06:07 PM

One I forgot about, my high school had a web design class that designed the school district website. One of the sections on the website was for staff of the high schools. Each staff member had a little bio. section with their picture. One of the students in the web design class was able to some what "hide" that they were making fun of the shop teacher. If you put the cursor over a certain spot, something popped up mentioning his comb over with squiggly lines on his head to show the comb over. I think there was also a thought bubble that said something about his name, Cartho. It seems like there was something else drawn, like a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. However, I can't remember for sure. It seems like it was a good spell before it was changed.
Old 23 January 2018, 06:51 PM

Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellestar View Post

In high school, "The Incident" was always something to do with the senior prank. .
There was a horrible "prank" at my high school; it involved a senior class a few years ahead of me. Apparently some of the seniors took over the PA system and said some very hurtful things about some of the teachers and staff. Things that would be libelous if they'd been published in a newspaper. I never got all the details, but I do know that after that only select people had access to the PA system and any announcements had to go through those people.
Old 23 January 2018, 07:02 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I was very young and innocent for 16 or 17, and I remember being afraid that he would turn around (though not afraid enough to stop looking!).
I was only 12 when I saw it, and thought the camera lingered on his back view much longer than necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Things that would be libelous if they'd been published in a newspaper.
Not to derail this thread or anything, but "publication" in libel laws doesn't mean paper publication, it means making it public. So saying it over the PA is just as libelous as printing it in the newspaper.

Seaboe
Old 23 January 2018, 07:53 PM

Old 23 January 2018, 08:30 PM

Icon401

Ah, yes, the "Senior Prank." The year I was a Junior, some of the Senior boys pushed an abandoned car into the Quad (plaza at the center of the school) at great effort and inconvenience, and painted school slogans on it.

Unfortunately, it was discovered that the abandoned car had actually been reported stolen. I know there was some investigation but the boys weren't involved in the theft and the car had been sitting down the street from where one of them lived for a very long time; I don't know why it hadn't been discovered or reported.

The year I was a Senior, some boys (why is it always the boys?) were "hazing" another kid in gym class, and some of them urinated in his gym bag. Unfortunately, of the culprits happened to be our class president. The administration wanted to remove him from the position, but since it was like a month away from graduation, they found some other way to punish him for this indiscretion.
Old 23 January 2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
From my high school days it's a NSFBSK story about a girl discovering her body with wieners while her friends were hidden in the room, waiting to throw her a surprise birthday party...

I never believed it... it sounded like an urban legend, though I did not know the term at the time.
We supposedly had a similar incident at my school; IIRC in our version she was caught because some or all of the hotdog got stuck and she needed medical attention. I can't speak to the story's veracity one way or the other, though a friend of mine did get sent to the principal's office for singing a hot dog ad jingle within earshot of the girl in question.

We also had one teacher who basically vanished overnight. Cool, popular teacher, universally liked, etc. who left in the middle of the school year with no explanation - at least none that ever made it outside the faculty. I don't even recall there being much in the way of rumors among the students and parents, just complete surprise and bewilderment that he'd left.

And not sure how memorable it is to most of my schoolmates, but I witnessed this firsthand: the boys' varsity soccer team incurred the wrath of our principal by referring to him as "First-name First-syllable-of-last-name" on morning announcements. From then on, any address they wanted to make to the student body had to be scripted and approved in advance, and I believe the team members who were there got detention as well, but I mostly remember the principal silently fuming for a good 5-10 seconds before speaking when we cut back to him.

And of course we had the usual spate of kids getting in trouble for drinking. Two I remember in particular were a few of my teammates getting banned from the first cross country meet my senior year* and some kids who were essentially grounded the last day or two of a band/orchestra trip... including the day we spent at Busch Gardens.**

* One was a team captain at the time and lost his captaincy. The remaining captains gave him a "Captain for a Day" gag award at the end of the season party.

** I remember feeling bad for the chaperones who had to miss out because they had to "babysit" the troublemakers.
Old 23 January 2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
And of course we had the usual spate of kids getting in trouble for drinking. Two I remember in particular were a few of my teammates getting banned from the first cross country meet my senior year* and some kids who were essentially grounded the last day or two of a band/orchestra trip... including the day we spent at Busch Gardens.**
My school's band got banned from Disney World for a while because for two visits in a row a member of the band got caught shoplifting from one of the gift shops. So for our trip my sophomore year (the two incidents happened before I got to high school) for out biannual band trip we could only go to Universal Studios and Busch Gardens.

As far as drinking goes, when I was in 8th grade a kid brought a thermos full of beer to school and shared it with his friends during lunch. It wasn't really an "incident" though. I only knew about it because I was friends with some of the kids involved. I don't know if any of the teachers ever actually found out.
Old 23 January 2018, 09:47 PM

The food fight was, essentially, our student prank. The year before, someone released several chickens in the school library. That was funny. My hometown was (and is) surrounded by rural areas on three sides, but it's not a farm town by any means. There might have been a few kids in the school who had experience with chickens, but if so, they weren't in the library at that time. One guy tried to catch one of them by chasing it into a corner, with predictable results. I don't think he realized a chicken could cause him pain.

Just last year, I mentioned the prank on Facebook and a friend from my hometown decided enough time had passed to come clean: they were her chickens (she lived outside town then). ETA: She was an adult at the time, already married with kids, I think.
Old 24 January 2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
We supposedly had a similar incident at my school; IIRC in our version she was caught because some or all of the hotdog got stuck and she needed medical attention. I can't speak to the story's veracity one way or the other, though a friend of mine did get sent to the principal's office for singing a hot dog ad jingle within earshot of the girl in question.
yup, some versions had this too...
In some other versions, it was not a hot dog but peanut butter and a dog...

This is part of the reason I joined the Snopes community. I was trying to understand how these things propagate (why people believe those stories/keep repeating them even when shown they can't be true)
Old 24 January 2018, 01:49 PM

I'm sure you all know that the hot-dog thing (like the batman / wardrobe thing) is indeed an urban legend...
Old 25 January 2018, 12:09 PM

Crash

My senior year was the first year that ninth graders were in high school (prior to that, they'd been in junior high), so my class's prank was to switch out the locks on the freshman's lockers. I was not a part of this particular prank, so I had no idea how they managed that. I still think that was payback for the freshmen class winning Spirit Week.
My class had originally planned to sign out every book from the library and I certainly did my part, but the librarians got suspicious so we had to go to Plan B.
My brother told me that his class's prank was to streak through the halls. This was the mid 70s when streaking was all the rage.
Old 25 January 2018, 03:43 PM

Not such a great prank as others have written - maybe we were a dull school?

In high school, we had morning and afternoon home room period. One afternoon, one of our classmates had laid his head down on his desk and nodded off. So, naturally, we had to do something, so at the end of the this home room period, we very quietly left the room, leaving our classmate soundly asleep. I never heard what time he woke up, or if he woke up on his own or a faculty member woke him up.
Old 26 January 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The actual student whose room it was was a guy called Jason ...
I've been trying but failing to remember this guy's surname since my post. I've just realised that's because his name was Nick, not Jason. Jason was a friend of his, whose surname I was correctly remembering but knew was wrong for Nick.

My sense of neatness compels me to correct this even though it's completely irrelevant to everybody else! I was right that he was in my crew, though - both of them were.
Old 26 January 2018, 08:59 PM

It was mostly a one-and-done deal that I'm not sure other people necessarily remember much- so maybe it doesn't belong in this thread- but when I was in 11th grade we had a fire drill and while outside we could see a small plume of smoke actually coming up off the building. Apparently the roof of the art closet caught fire. We stood out there for a long time before they evacuated half of the school to an elementary school auditorium across the street from one of the HS's fields and the rest had to go all the way up the hill several blocks to the town community center. I can't actually remember if we were dismissed from those locations, or if enough was fixed that we were able to resume the school day. I was glad I wasn't in the group that had to hoof it all the way up to the community center.
Old 26 January 2018, 09:47 PM

When I was in high school, some kid brought a jar of Nutella into the lunchroom and a riot broke out.