snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 18 January 2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
The first time I saw Psycho and Norman's mother slowly turned toward the camera in that chair.
For me it was the scene at the end where Norman is sitting and a fly is on his arm and he says something like "I wouldn't even hurt a fly" in that creepy voice of his. For some reason the rest of the movie I could cope with, but that scene just stayed with me. I wasn't a child though when I saw it - I must have been somewhere in my late teens - I can only imagine what I would have thought had I seen this movie at a younger age!
Old 18 January 2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I have a very vivid memory of a scene in what I think was a movie (might have been a TV show) in which a guy is reaching carefully into a garbage disposal to fish something out when... well, you can guess what happens. I've never been the same.
I remember a movie(?) where a guy puts his hand in the disposal and gets it stuck. A bratty kid then comes over to turn it on, and he jerks his hand back just in time. He yells at the kid, and the mother comes over to scold him. The scene made me anxious. Sounds much better than what you saw, though.
Old 18 January 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Not me but my sister was negatively impacted by Romper Room as a child. There was always a scene where the teacher would look through her mirror and say "Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?" (thank you wiki, I did not remember this exactly right ) anyway she would then say the names of the children she could "see" who were watching the show. With a name like Susan back in the '60s I got "seen" a lot. My sister with a name like Bianca, not so much! She still resents this, it came up again over Christmas.
Me too, *lol*! My name is more of a nickname, and it's not uncommon, but I never heard it. Made me a bit sad.
Old 18 January 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
These probably aren't the ones you're thinking of, Phantom(they're from 1969-70), but I've always thought them pretty freaky, especially following a fluffy sitcom like The Brady Bunch.

Closet Killer!
Not quite, but close enough to be freaky! That probably would have scared me even more.
Old 18 January 2018, 10:14 PM

I can't really remember any shows or scenes having a lasting effect on me as a kid. I had to have my bedroom pitch black at night to sleep, so I guess I wasn't afraid of anything lingering in the dark.

I did have to sleep with my sister the night I saw the movie, The Manitou - Woman has a growth on her back that ends up being a reborn Native American shaman. Not sure what exactly scared me. And it was only one night, then I was back in my own bed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKU9hzRq6k
Old 18 January 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
[hyper-pedantic nitpick]

His official name is Smokey Bear, no "the".

[/hyper-pedantic nitpick]
Is he a bear? Is his name Smokey? Then it's reasonable to call him Smokey the Bear, even if it isn't his full name. Jabba's name isn't Jabba the Hutt, either - he's a Hutt named Jabba.

I don't really have any for me that fit this. My wife does - she was so scared of Jaws that she won't fly over water. She worries that she will survive the plane crashing and get eaten by sharks.
One thing that has stayed with me is a friend's reaction to Alien. We were 12, watching it on video at my parent's house. When the chest bursting scene happened, he stood up, said no, and left. It was so abrupt I wasn't sure he had left the house at first.
Old 18 January 2018, 10:38 PM

Wolf

Quote:
For me it was the scene at the end where Norman is sitting and a fly is on his arm and he says something like "I wouldn't even hurt a fly" in that creepy voice of his. For some reason the rest of the movie I could cope with, but that scene just stayed with me.
That scene's always been extra creepy to me, as they slightly superimpose his mother's skull over his face, just for a few seconds, and then the car comes up from the muck.
Old 18 January 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Jabba's name isn't Jabba the Hutt, either - he's a Hutt named Jabba.
I always thought Jabba the Hutt was a gangster nickname, like "Jack the Whack" Rizzocascio or Benjamin "The Fang" Castellazzo. So maybe he should really be called Jabba Desilijic "The Hutt" Tiure. Supposedly that's his actual name according to this fan Wiki I found.
Old 18 January 2018, 11:23 PM

Canada

Very few movies or TV shows had any lingering effect on me. Werewolf movies used to make me watch out for full moons in case I turned into a werewolf and the villagers killed me.

Scary (sorta) movie description.

There is one movie, though. It was before 1966 and it was a sword and sorcery film. In one scene, there is a pool set on a rocky hill. The pool turns to blood and starts boiling and then a skull floats to the surface. I can remember the scene vividly but I have no idea what the movie is.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I also remember quite clearly a religious film that my friend's parents took a few of us to. [...]The rest of the film - at least, in my memory - was the little boy being blamed and punished and lectured for the sin of pride. It was wrong of him to have been so proud of his wooden boat, and God was punishing him for it.
That is messed up! I went to Sunday school for a minute when I was a kid, and they were very warm fuzzy Jesus loves all the little children. I eventually realized I didn't believe the stories but for years I went on thinking Christianity was just something that made people nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Once I was past these tiny tot irrational fears, I do remember one very strange moment. It was, I believe, an episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller. A man is injured in a car crash (I think) and the skin started to peel back from his wrist. I believe the point was to show he was artificial under the skin, but it was presented in such a creepy, revolting way that all the adults in the room - along with me - turned their heads in horror before we really saw anything.
Can't help with identifying, but that reminds me of another one. That scene in The Rescuers where Medusa is pulling off her fake eyelashes--I had never seen those before and couldn't figure out why she would do that, and it was a little upsetting!
Old 19 January 2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
for years I went on thinking Christianity was just something that made people nicer.
I know some people who believe their Christian faith is supposed to do exactly that. Then there’s those guys who made the Thief in the Night movie that left me terrified every time the house went quiet that everyone had been raptured but me.
Old 19 January 2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
That scene in The Rescuers where Medusa is pulling off her fake eyelashes--I had never seen those before and couldn't figure out why she would do that, and it was a little upsetting!
Aaah, yess!!!! I think of this any time I wear fake eyelashes. I remember thinking about it when I started tweezing my eyebrows, too.
Old 19 January 2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Wikipedia says there was another film released in 1976 but that seems to have been a re-release of the 1960 film.
1976 would probably be about the right time, so I guess I saw it on that re-release. I would have been four years old, so I'm not surprised that the film doesn't exactly match my memory, but if it had some people being chased down a beach and hiding in bushes, and then a tiger, it's definitely the right film and I was pretty close! The tiger scared me, whether it appeared suddenly or not...
Old 19 January 2018, 02:44 AM

I'm reminded of one that other people freak out to - I can't recall the title but it was an Australian movie (cartoon) and apparently it's all nice and normal and then there's a song about "The Bunyip" and it all goes downhill for 4 minutes and gives everyone nightmares.
Old 19 January 2018, 02:51 AM

Dot and the Red Kangaroo. And yes, the Bunyip song is terrifying.

Old 19 January 2018, 05:05 AM

The TV movie Miracle Landing, about the explosive decompression of Aloha Airlines flight 243, terrified me for years, because it was based on a true event. It was directly responsible for my fear of flying -- I had never been afraid of airplanes until then. I became terrified that not only would any plane I was on experience something similar, but that planes at any time could explode and crash into my house. (Flight 243 didn't crash, but that didn't matter when it came to terrifying me.) I couldn't get on a plane without sweating profusely or throwing up. Even getting to the airport sent me into a panic. And I was too afraid to tell anyone, because I knew adults would all laugh at me and tell me that such a thing was extraordinarily rare and wouldn't happen to the plane I was on. But I knew it could. It's the reason that, to this day, I never sit near a door or window. I always take an aisle seat as close to the center of the plane as possible, to minimize my risk of being sucked out should part of the plane suddenly be ripped off.

(Now that I'm writing about it, I wonder why I sat and watched the entire movie when it was terrifying me so much.)

Last edited by Cervus; 19 January 2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Not me but my sister was negatively impacted by Romper Room as a child. There was always a scene where the teacher would look through her mirror and say "Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?" (thank you wiki, I did not remember this exactly right ) anyway she would then say the names of the children she could "see" who were watching the show. With a name like Susan back in the '60s I got "seen" a lot. My sister with a name like Bianca, not so much! She still resents this, it came up again over Christmas.
They didn't show Romper Room in the town I grew up in but on occasions, when we came to Brisbane, I saw it. With a name like D'Arne, I was never seen. But by then I had figured out how un usual D'Arne* was and therefore, how they "saw" people. I would have been more effected or at least surprised if they had seen me.

*There was another D'Arne at kindergarten but even by then I think I had worked it out.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:44 AM

Whalephant

When I was either 4 or 5 one of the local theaters showed one of the old Lassie movies, although I have no memory of which. There was something in the movie that had me bawling so hard I tried to leave the theater.

The early 1970s TV show the Sixth Sense had an episode with a man on a motorcycle killing people. When they finally show the motorcyclist his face plate is frosted over. This bothered me for years.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:49 AM

This thread is reminding me that this is one of the few message forums I'm on where I'm still in the younger side of the membership.
Old 19 January 2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I also remember quite clearly a religious film that my friend's parents took a few of us to. (Unusually for the UK, they were evangelical Christians). I must have been nine or ten, I think. The film was about a little boy who made a fantastic wooden ark with all the animals, and wanted to give it as a present to a girl that he liked. The film showed how long he'd spent on it and how nice it was. On his way to give it to the girl, he got stopped by the local bully who smashed it up in the mud. This was upsetting (as somebody who got picked on rather) but I assumed that, as in a conventional film, eventually it would turn out OK and the bully would be punished and perhaps he'd manage to rebuild his ship.

However, the point of the film turned out to be the exact opposite. If the bully was punished, they didn't make a big deal of it. The rest of the film - at least, in my memory - was the little boy being blamed and punished and lectured for the sin of pride. It was wrong of him to have been so proud of his wooden boat, and God was punishing him for it.

I wasn't at all religious before that (I don't think I've ever actually believed in God, which seems to me to be the default position unless taught otherwise) but that film certainly didn't have its intended effect on me... it made me realise how utterly cruel and stupid religion can be!
Could this have been a misremembering/misunderstanding of Treasures of the Snow? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasures_of_the_Snow . I've never seen the movie but I had the book as a kid. It was a religious novel about forgiveness. The bully had crippled a boy by accident and he made the wooden boat as an apology, but the boy's older sister smashed it because she didn't want the bully to be forgiven. Everyone was redeemed in the end and the boy's leg was fixed.