snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 18 January 2018, 12:40 PM

The original Godzilla vs. King Kong, a scene where Kong is running across the landscape with his arms waving in the air. There is no kaiju movie of any description or national origin that has ever done anything worse than bore me (I'm looking at you, Varan), but that one scene was actually kind of terrifying to me.

The second pilot show for an unsold series back in the late 1970's, The World Beyond. And it's on YouTube, and watching a chunk of it a few months back, it's still pretty creepy. Hey, Hollywood - this could be a good source for a remake!

That show aired opposite a cult classic, The Bermuda Depths. I know this because I was switching back and forth between the two, wrapping up with The Bermuda Depths since that was a movie and The World Beyond was a one-hour TV show. Both of these creeped me out big time, and as I was kind-of-watching them both at the same time, they are closely linked in my head.

Beyond that... not much stuff in TV or movies ever really bothered me. Heck, when I was very young - about 5 or 6 - I had to stay up late in preparation for a sleep test, and my dad had me watch a 1950's B-movie sci-fi/horror flick Monster on the Campus, which features a wolfman-like monster throwing an axe into another guy's head. It was a vivid image that stuck with me for many years, but it never bothered me. I was more upset with the Shirley Temple version of Heidi.
Old 18 January 2018, 01:56 PM

The first time I saw Psycho and Norman's mother slowly turned toward the camera in that chair.
Old 18 January 2018, 02:07 PM

Glasses

The mechanical hound from Fahrenheit 451 gave me nightmares when I was in high school.

The scene in Oliver! where Bill Sykes kills Nancy made a big impression, although it didn't give me nightmares (which is weird because I was very nightmare prone and only 8 when I saw it). I've always thought Oliver Reed's performance in that movie was superb.

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2018, 02:17 PM

Fright

A lot of things scared me when I was very young: Captain Kangaroo and Tony the Tiger come to mind. (They both had loud deep voices and I had sensitive ears, so that might have something to do with it. I later learned to love them both. But I digress...)

Once I was past these tiny tot irrational fears, I do remember one very strange moment. It was, I believe, an episode of Boris Karloff's Thriller. A man is injured in a car crash (I think) and the skin started to peel back from his wrist. I believe the point was to show he was artificial under the skin, but it was presented in such a creepy, revolting way that all the adults in the room - along with me - turned their heads in horror before we really saw anything.

If anyone can help me pinpoint the episode, I'd appreciate it.
Old 18 January 2018, 02:40 PM

Smoky the Bear scared me, I think because of the exceptionally deep voice.
Old 18 January 2018, 02:58 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Smoky the Bear scared me, I think because of the exceptionally deep voice.
Yeah, Smokey did it to me, too! I got over it quickly, though, when I learned of the story of the "real" Smokey from a kid's storybook. I was so excited I sent away to become a junior forest ranger, with the badge and everything.
Old 18 January 2018, 03:18 PM

[hyper-pedantic nitpick]

His official name is Smokey Bear, no "the".

[/hyper-pedantic nitpick]
Old 18 January 2018, 05:03 PM

Soapbox

I remember catching the end of a Doctor Who episode (I believe in the Tom Baker era) which featured a gigantic Kraken/squid-creature destroying a civilisation...

it scared me out of watching Doctor Who for a long, long while, but I can safely say, my Doctor, David Tennant, gave me a thorough check-up and cured me of my Whophobia!
Old 18 January 2018, 05:38 PM

What a coincidence. I was just talking about this at work.

Ironically, one movie that scared me as a child was Airplane! Suddenly everyone on the plane started vomiting at once, and then this woman had eggs repeatedly come out of her mouth. In one of the movies (the sequel?) two guys get sucked out of the plane.

I also recall seeing a snippet of a movie with a clock oozing blood, and that terrified me. (I think a Snopester here may have identified it as A Clockwork Orange?)
Old 18 January 2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I remember catching the end of a Doctor Who episode (I believe in the Tom Baker era) which featured a gigantic Kraken/squid-creature destroying a civilisation...
That was probably The Power of Kroll.
Old 18 January 2018, 05:52 PM

This seems kind of silly now, but there was Canadian children's show that aired on Nickelodeon in the 1980s called Today's Special. Set in a department store, one of the characters was a talking computer that resided in the store's security office. One episode was about a storm or something, during which the roof leaked and water got onto that computer causing it to catch fire. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe it just emitted some sparks or something, but it seemed like fire to me at the time. Anyway, at the time I found that part incredibly scary. It literally kept me awake at night. I was afraid of things catching fire for a long time after that.
Old 18 January 2018, 05:54 PM

^^^^
Ha ha ha you just beat me to it. I spent too long finding a video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post

it scared me out of watching Doctor Who for a long, long while, but I can safely say, my Doctor, David Tennant, gave me a thorough check-up and cured me of my Whophobia!
Hmm, I'm trying to figure out which story that might have been. Probably The Power of Kroll?
Old 18 January 2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
[hyper-pedantic nitpick]

His official name is Smokey Bear, no "the".

[/hyper-pedantic nitpick]
To be fair there was a whole bunch of books and comics and even animated TV specials that called him "Smokey the Bear"

Also his original name was Hotfoot Teddy, Smokey is just his stage name.
Old 18 January 2018, 06:16 PM

Just remembered a thing that affected me as a child, but seems to have been partially false impression. An episode of Night Gallery had a segment based on H. P. Lovecraft's "Cool Air"; the segment featured the male lead dying from being too warm (as happens in the short story, sorry if that's a spoiler for g-you). My recollection was that he fell through a suddenly-opened door and literally fell apart, body parts tumbling out of his bathrobe across the floor. However, I tracked the episode down a few years ago and watched it; nothing that vivid happened (unless I saw an edited version). Whatever the case, it prevented me from falling asleep easily for several nights, and had me convinced that the steam radiators in the house were actually someone breathing heavily under my bed.
Old 18 January 2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
That was probably The Power of Kroll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
^^^^
Ha ha ha you just beat me to it. I spent too long finding a video

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out which story that might have been. Probably The Power of Kroll?
I would watch it, except my Doctor recommends I only watch the episodes with him in it. Strangely, I thought I saw my Doctor in a show based in New York a few years ago, but it turned out to be someone else, who likes to dress in purple.
Old 18 January 2018, 06:40 PM

Re: Captain Kangaroo. The good Captain used to have the Banana Man as an occasional guest star. I was not afraid of clowns, but this wailing, screeching hobgoblin seriously disturbed me.
Old 18 January 2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I remember actually screaming in the cinema when I was very young, during The Swiss Family Robinson I think. There was a scene where the heroes were being chased down a beach by a horde of people and want to hide in the undergrowth, and suddenly a tiger appears and pokes its head out of a bush. The tiger made me scream. I can't remember how old I was, but I remember that I was old enough to be slightly embarrassed afterwards. (I assume it was the 1960 Disney version of the film, which doesn't help narrow down the date, since this would have been in the mid-70s).
I was curious so I went and tracked down a copy of the 1960 Disney movie on youtube and there's a scene about 45 minutes in with people running away from pirates along the beach and then hiding in undergrowth but there's no tiger there. A tiger does show up at about 21 minutes and then again at 1:25 but it doesn't seem to appear suddenly at any point (unless I missed it).

Wikipedia says there was another film released in 1976 but that seems to have been a re-release of the 1960 film.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 18 January 2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 18 January 2018, 07:43 PM

I'm also inexplicably freaked out by the old Paramount sound that was the outtro to many shows in the 80s. I'm guessing that the jarring sound startled me when I was young or something unpleasant happened in conjunction to it.
Old 18 January 2018, 07:47 PM

Not me but my sister was negatively impacted by Romper Room as a child. There was always a scene where the teacher would look through her mirror and say "Romper, stomper, bomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?" (thank you wiki, I did not remember this exactly right ) anyway she would then say the names of the children she could "see" who were watching the show. With a name like Susan back in the '60s I got "seen" a lot. My sister with a name like Bianca, not so much! She still resents this, it came up again over Christmas.
Old 18 January 2018, 07:52 PM

These probably aren't the ones you're thinking of, Phantom(they're from 1969-70), but I've always thought them pretty freaky, especially following a fluffy sitcom like The Brady Bunch.

Closet Killer!