snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 11 January 2018, 03:32 PM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Fortunately, my wife has a dear friend who works for a major airline, so we were able to arrange for Ana to get to London quickly and inexpensively.
I've been so worried about Ana since I heard a couple weeks ago. I'm so glad you and Elyssa were able to jump in and help ease some of the stress with this.
Old 11 January 2018, 08:59 PM

Last week I was in London and I got some makeup advice and was thinking of Ana and her makeup knowledge. I am sorry for her loss.
Old 12 January 2018, 01:46 PM

Ah hell. Too young.

Salud, old sport.
Old 12 January 2018, 11:18 PM

Baseball

Jay Tea was a great poster. I once had a position on an issue (long since forgotten) and in one five word post he completely changed my position and mind. And it was a straightforward, clear post that was not confrontational and highly effective.

RIP Jay Tea

The list of snopesters I've known over the past 17 years who have passed is growing... and it is sad. It feels like I've lost real friends.
Old 13 January 2018, 03:14 PM

I don't remember having many direct interactions with Jay Tea, but I enjoyed reading his comments.

Forty-three is much too soon, and I feel for Ana Ng.

My thoughts are with them both.

~Psihala
Old 16 January 2018, 05:20 PM

Rest in Peace, Jay Tea

My thoughts are with Ana and his family.
Old 01 May 2018, 06:21 PM

Icon105

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I stumbled onto it while I was looking for an old page!

This is the first time I saw this post and I wanted to say thank you to everyone for your very kind messages. As snopes mentioned, the chaotic chain of events sort of complicated things, but he cared about this community very much and would not mind me saying so. People from here would often say things like they thought he didn't know who they were or he forgot them but I promise he did not- he was extraordinarily shy, but always lamented losing touch with people. He was just too shy to reach out himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
That makes sense now. I was wondering why Ana Ng was being covert.
Thanks.
To clarify, we had a stable of reasons we were quiet about things- we got together in 2006 and because we never knew how things would turn out, we sort of painted ourselves into a corner of non-disclosure. But please feel free to ask me anything, nothing is a secret per se- a lot of times it came down to it feeling weird to "announce" something that had been going on for over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I don't know how much of the story Ana wants to tell on her own (or not at all). Suffice it to say that Jay Tea was with his family in the UK when he passed away, and unfortunately his family didn't know there was reason for them to contact Ana back here in the U.S. with that information immediately.

Fortunately, my wife has a dear friend who works for a major airline, so we were able to arrange for Ana to get to London quickly and inexpensively. You can imagine how even more heartbreaking it would have been to have had to deal with that situation from thousands of miles away.
And snopes and his wife essentially walked me through the most difficult days of my life, before I left for the UK. I could barely speak and certainly could not have handled making arrangements even in autopilot shock. Obviously it was imperative for me to get there as soon as possible, and they managed to arrange that for me (they're also really the only people I've seen since I got back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I didn't know either - I just got a private message asking if I had talked with [Ana Ng] before posting, and was a bit puzzled. I apologize for what must seem like an incredibly insensitive sharing of information; my only intent was to pass along the information from Facebook in lieu of an obituary.

Jay Tea and Ana Ng were among my favorite people on the old boards - they both brought a fun, quirky vibe to any thread in which they were posting. I kind of lost track of Ana once she stopped posting regularly (although I knew she was working for the main site), and only kept in touch with Jay casually through Facebook - I had no idea that they were married. I'm sorry again for any hurt I may have caused; snopes, please extend my deepest condolences to Ana.
Musicgeek, thank you so much and no need to apologize- it's only very recently I've sort of started to be aware of the world around me, and while this thread was active I was in another country with people I just met (who were amazing). Definitely no hurt caused, it was very sweet to see everyone's comments and I was not in a place where I was communicating readily.

As snopes and jw alluded, I was a mixture of speechless (that persists) and away and the timing of everything did not help. I only discovered last week that one of my closest friends was unaware because he'd missed my over-the-holiday mention of it, that I'd been away at all, and what happened. So timing and my absence exacerbated the confusion among our mutual friends. That said, nothing is a secret and I don't mind questions.

One of the reasons I've been personally quiet was that our families were in different countries, so I didn't want anyone to find out through me. Another thing was completely my thing- I didn't want my husband to be harassed by internet jerks. So after we got married I was really mindful of creating any easily findable links between us. I think for his part he wanted to make sure everything worked out (we'd just gotten approval for his green card days earlier) before he said anything. It seems odd, but very like him to do so. He was extremely cautious about saying one thing and doing another, and we'd literally just received approval status. Neither of us had any clue this would happen, so we didn't make any arrangements.

He had just turned 43 a few weeks earlier, and went home two days after his birthday. He was experiencing nosebleeds but not otherwise ill. Thank you again and sorry I missed this post the first time around.

I'm going to try to share some pics but I don't know if I have to resize them:

When we got married (there's also horribly jumpy photo videos):

At our wedding:

Us at snopes' wedding and after:

Him hugging our niece:

Tattoos I got on our anniversary:

Because of our shared love of folklore, I wear a red bracelet (the red string of fate):

Old 01 May 2018, 06:51 PM

Glasses

Thank you, Ana.

Seaboe
Old 02 May 2018, 11:46 AM

Yes, Ana Ng, thank you so much for sharing these with us.
Old 03 May 2018, 05:30 AM

Goldfish

I think in this case it's okay to repeat the others.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 05 May 2018, 04:18 PM

Baseball

I'm glad you share with us.

Many good memories there.