snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 09 November 2017, 04:57 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post

A grocery store circular with a first page that advertised several meat items at 19 cents a pound, limit one item, with a $100 purchase. On the next page, many of the same items at 99 cents a pound, limit one item, with a $100 purchase.
Someone needs to hire a proofreader! I'm sure the store will post notices at the meat counter that say Oops! We goofed! Big time!
Old 09 November 2017, 05:01 PM

Bacon

Quote:
A car with the license plate "BMW 1". It was a Mercedes.

and

A grocery store circular with a first page that advertised several meat items at 19 cents a pound, limit one item, with a $100 purchase. On the next page, many of the same items at 99 cents a pound, limit one item, with a $100 purchase.
Is it you have to buy $100 worth of it at the special price to get the price, or you only get the price if you buy other stuff worth $100?

Because $100 worth of $0.19/LB meat is a looooooooooootttt of meat.
Old 09 November 2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
A car with the license plate "BMW 1". It was a Mercedes.
I'm guessing either: 1) The owner used to drive a BMW and kept the same plate when they switched to a Mercedes. B) The owner has an odd sense of humor. Perhaps they're making fun of BMW owners who want to advertise to the world that they have a BMW through personalized plates.

The fact that it's got that 1 on the end of it reminds me of a guy I knew in high school. He had a Ford F250 with the license plate "TRUCK2". That was his third choice. TRUCK and TRUCK1 were already taken.
Old 09 November 2017, 06:36 PM

Presumably once he got that plate, he was annoyed at having to buy a second truck to put it on!
Old 09 November 2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Is it you have to buy $100 worth of it at the special price to get the price, or you only get the price if you buy other stuff worth $100?

Because $100 worth of $0.19/LB meat is a looooooooooootttt of meat.
With a $100 purchase would indicate that your entire grocery bill is at least $100, which is not an uncommonly large total amount to spend on grocery shopping for a household.

The "limit one item" bit is hard to parse for something that you can buy a variable amount of and pay by the pound. If it's already parceled out into discrete packages maybe it would make sense, but if it's just normal meat that you'd ask for as much as you want from the meat section, I'm not sure where you draw the line at one item of X pounds of meat (limit one cow?)

20 cents for a pound of meat is way below the normal market price even for a deep discount. However, if you're buying $100 worth of stuff, and there is some interpretation of "limit one item" that makes sense in the intended context, then they could afford a promotion to give you some limited amount of meat basically for free, in the same way that they could afford to give away a free thing in a buy two get one free type discount.
Old 10 November 2017, 05:16 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
1) The owner used to drive a BMW and kept the same plate when they switched to a Mercedes. B) The owner has an odd sense of humor.
III) The owner's name is Bernhard Michael Wetherspoon.
Old 10 November 2017, 04:43 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The "limit one item" bit is hard to parse for something that you can buy a variable amount of and pay by the pound. If it's already parceled out into discrete packages maybe it would make sense...
These were packaged things: turkeys, hams, whole pork shoulders, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Bernhard Michael Wetherspoon the first!
Old 10 November 2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
It was an acronym for "Better Make Way" #1
Because someone who drives a car like a battering ram, surely needs more than 1...
Old 10 November 2017, 05:22 PM

I saw a car with a vanity plate that said "fatpat7". The person driving wasn't what I would call a fat person. But the driver could have been just borrowing the car though.
Old 11 November 2017, 11:58 PM

While out walking today I saw a pile of what I'm pretty sure was horse manure on the sidewalk. It was way too much to have come from a dog, and it had bits of grass/hay in it. Just to be clear, it had obviously been deposited there by the animal directly; it's wasn't like someone had spilled some organic fertilizer or something. This is a typical suburban neighborhood; there aren't any horse farms nearby and this isn't the sort of area where people would typically ride horses.
Old 12 November 2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
While out walking today I saw a pile of what I'm pretty sure was horse manure on the sidewalk. It was way too much to have come from a dog, and it had bits of grass/hay in it. Just to be clear, it had obviously been deposited there by the animal directly; it's wasn't like someone had spilled some organic fertilizer or something. This is a typical suburban neighborhood; there aren't any horse farms nearby and this isn't the sort of area where people would typically ride horses.
Maybe someone hired a pony for a kid's party?
Old 13 November 2017, 02:04 PM

Ambulance

Yesterday I saw a professionally printed sign on a telephone pole that simply said "Cash for diabetic test strips" and a phone number. I don't understand.
Old 13 November 2017, 02:11 PM

Sometimes, because a diabetic has passed away or for other reasons, people have extra, unused test strips. There's a market for them, I'm guessing because people who don't need them anymore sell them for less than retail.
Old 13 November 2017, 05:37 PM

Ambulance

I just did a little research. What Lainie says is true, but apparently diabetics with good insurance buy extra, then sell them to companies like this for a profit. The companies then sell them to uninsured folks for an additional profit, but for less than regular retail.

One more reason to hate US health insurance.

Last edited by ChasFink; 13 November 2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 13 November 2017, 05:55 PM

I did say, ". . . or for other reasons. . ."
Old 13 November 2017, 08:26 PM

Theme Icon

I stand corrected.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:07 PM

Police

At midnight last Saturday-Sunday, I was awakened by someone pounding and saying 'open the door!' Who's knocking on my door at midnight? Must be an accident. I look out the window and see 2-3 police cruisers at the corner; they'd pulled someone over and presumably proceeded to give the driver a sobriety test. I got tired of waiting for the driver to walk the straight line, so I went back to bed. In other words: a normal weekend at Dawn's Corner.
Old 25 November 2017, 02:28 AM

While I was driving earlier there was a car in one of the two left turn lanes at an intersection where was turning left with its four-way flashers on, apparently with some sort of mechanical problem. So I went around it in the other left turn lane. While I was sitting there waiting for the light to change I saw another car coming from the other direction, in the the corresponding left turn lane, also with its four-way flashers on.
Old 26 November 2017, 03:37 PM

Yow!

Just got back from a vacation in Orlando, and during the vacation and the drive down, I saw the following:
1. Many people either walking or jogging down either a US Route or an Interstate (biggest WTF ever--someone jogging southbound along I95 North)
2. A Hindu Temple in Cary, North Carolina
3. A Venus Fly Trap sculpture in Fayetteville, North Carolina (guess who clean forgot to take a photo of it? )
4. A Hindu temple in Fayetteville North Carolina
5. A Christian motorcycle gang and their bad-ass Harleys.

Those are the ones I remember.
Old 26 November 2017, 09:05 PM

"Bumper" sticker on a pick-up with side tool boxes:

God bless America and the Farmer who feeds your fat ass