snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 October 2017, 04:52 PM

Default Odd thing you saw today

Yesterday evening I saw a car with a fake foot, like from a mannequin or something, tied below the rear bumper. It was just low enough that the toes would drag along the pavement as the car was driving.
Old 28 October 2017, 10:04 PM

My total at Target came out to exactly $18.00.
Old 28 October 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
L'chaim!

and characters
Old 29 October 2017, 01:20 PM

I've been playing South Park: Stick of Truth, in which the children are playing a fantasy game and are all dressed up as warriors and elves and things.

I was in the pub on Friday, when towards the end of the evening a group of people suddenly appeared from the back (they must have been out in the garden all the time). They were all quite short and on the round side, and the women were dressed in pseudo-medieval corsets and Disney princess type stuff, while the only guy was wearing a slightly tatty green Robin Hood style costume.

They looked exactly like characters from the game... they could even have been cosplaying that, for all I know. It was odd enough suddenly seeing random cosplayers in the pub anyway, but even stranger that they looked like characters from South Park dressed up.
Old 29 October 2017, 03:02 PM

I was out late last night and as I was driving home around midnight, I saw someone doing yard work: looked like they were raking leaves.
Old 30 October 2017, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Mine at Safeway (on the 25, IIRC) came out to exactly $30.00

Seaboe
Old 02 November 2017, 08:15 AM

Whalephant

I was having dinner with my dad at McDonald's tonight-it is right off a busy residential and commercial street. I looked up from my food and saw.... three women on horseback in the parking lot. We think they were in line for the drive-through.

We suspect they rode along the Rillito (the Rillito is a dry stream bed most of the year-about 50 or 75 feet across. Gets full after a rainstorm. It has a very nice walking/riding/jogging/bicycle path alongside most of it.) path to the street then the block or so to the McDonald's.
Old 02 November 2017, 11:27 AM

Driver

Saw one of these yesterday; haven't seen that dust devil in decades!
Old 02 November 2017, 02:40 PM

Glasses

Last night on my way home I saw an Alfa-Romeo Gulia. This time, in my neighborhood instead of on the freeway (as in, on the arterial just before I turned onto my street).

Seaboe
Old 02 November 2017, 04:24 PM

A car with a vanity plate that said "rocky tp".
So there is something worse than 1 ply tp?😂
Old 03 November 2017, 01:57 PM

Glasses

Snow.

I saw in the paper last night that it was supposed to snow, but the elevation given was 3500 feet (I'm less than 500 feet), so imagine my surprise when I got up and it was not only snowing, but there was snow was on the ground as well.

Seabow.
Old 03 November 2017, 03:28 PM

I'd forgotten, I saw my first snow of the year in the mountains in Romania a few weeks ago, on our trip to Transylvania. First we saw a snow-covered mountain in the distance, which felt odd since it was the beginning of October. Then a bit later we drove through a snowstorm, and there was quite a bit of snow by the road. Probably less odd there than it would be to get snow here in October, though!

If we're on nice cars again, I saw a Lamborghini Aventador 750-4 SuperVeloce (I think it was that spec - one of the new ones, and nicer-looking than even the average Aventador) parked outside an ice cream parlour on my way back from town a week or two ago. This is on a fairly grotty road which has all the takeaway pizza places in town. It looked very out of place.

One of my friends has an Alfa Romeo Giulietta - pretty nice, as long as you don't have to sit in the back! Those and Giulias aren't that uncommon round here.
Old 05 November 2017, 03:01 PM

Two fairly tall yucca plants poking over the top of a tall fence in my neighbourhood .... and both were wearing sunglasses

Old 06 November 2017, 12:15 PM

I use GoogleMaps to figure out directions, but never log into it. I don't even have a Google account. I opened googlemaps at work to figure out the best route to a site, and before I typed anything Googlemaps suggested two locations, a restaurant about a half hour from here and a theater in Philly. I have never been to either, never looked at either, but my wife used the Googlemaps on her phone for directions to both places last week. SO, Google now has realized my wife's phone and my work are related. I don't really like that.
Old 06 November 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'd forgotten, I saw my first snow of the year in the mountains in Romania a few weeks ago, on our trip to Transylvania.
I saw my first snow on October 12, when I was driving over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. I also had to drive through a rain/snow mix the next day, between Spokane and Pullman. However, that didn't strike me as odd because a) Snoqualmie is a mountain pass (albeit a low one--3,000 feet) and 2) snow tends to come early to eastern Washington.

Quote:
If we're on nice cars again,
Aren't we always on nice cars?

Seaboe
Old 06 November 2017, 06:40 PM

I saw a Starbucks sign on the way to work.

I grew up in Seattle, but moved to the East Coast in the early 1990s. By the time Starbucks was strengthening its position in the East Coast, I moved to Switzerland. I've never worked or lived within a short walking distance to Starbucks. Most of them are still few and far between, unless you're in Zürich.
Old 08 November 2017, 05:49 AM

Walking home, all the trees in a certain part of town had legal notices posted to them. I read one and it was pseudolegalistic sovereign citizen nonsense about notifying the authorities that someone isn't a freemason. I thought it was odd that there weren't any on lamp posts or walls or mailboxes, only trees, perhaps due to part of their legal theories.
Old 08 November 2017, 02:23 PM

Glasses

In Seattle, if you post a notice on a lamp post or telephone pole, it generally gets ignored by the authorities (unless there are so many notices they're a hazard of one kind or another). But if you post one on a tree, it gets taken down fairly rapidly (I saw this in action once, with a yard sale notice). Perhaps your poster expected something like that.

Seaboe
Old 08 November 2017, 08:28 PM

At the grocery store today, I saw "French Toast Bread" made by Freihofer's(thicker slices). I never knew such a thing existed.
Old 09 November 2017, 02:35 PM

Icon05

A car with the license plate "BMW 1". It was a Mercedes.

and

A grocery store circular with a first page that advertised several meat items at 19 cents a pound, limit one item, with a $100 purchase. On the next page, many of the same items at 99 cents a pound, limit one item, with a $100 purchase.