snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 30 January 2018, 02:06 PM

Cheer

And, another -- Happy Birthday DawnStorm!!
Old 30 January 2018, 02:52 PM

Me three -- DawnStorm, happy birthday!
Old 30 January 2018, 03:01 PM

Me four!
Happy date of entrance into the world, DawnStorm!
Old 30 January 2018, 03:08 PM

Dear management:
There's 15cm of snow down already and it's changing to freezing rain. We're supposed to get freezing rain all afternoon. Likely very few clients are gling to brave the roads. You probably aren't even going to make enough sales to cover staff costs. So why in the heck are you so determined to open today?? We have two emergency clinics in the city!!

- Keket
Old 30 January 2018, 03:46 PM

Happy birthday, DawnStorm!
Old 07 February 2018, 01:50 PM

Dear big brother Steve,

I love you very much, so I'll be cruel only to be kind.

If a doctor advises you to take medication, it is most likely for the good of your health. Refusing a medication to save your life (in this most recent case, diabetes) is nothing but stubborness. I h thought you were worried about how you'd afford the meds. Now I hear the reason is because you "don't want to be on those pills for life".

Now, look here, big brother. I take 12 pills a day, 10 of them having to do with my mental health. I have to take them the rest of my life, or else I'll be all messed up. You know in what ways, you never visited me in the hospital on those occasions. I'm sure you're reminded of how Da had to take a boatload of medicines and the problems they presented. I can tell you that there's no problems with using a CPAP, and it helps your health.

So really, stop being a stubborn stupidhead and take the meds. You'll be better for it.

~ you little sister, Trish Da Dish Fulla Fish
Old 07 February 2018, 02:08 PM

Dear Trish --

I'm sorry your brother is being like that. One of mine has diabetes and still smokes, drinks and eats junk (pick one vice, dummy, and you might be able to keep what's left of your feet).

I understand the feeling; the first time I heard "You'll need to take these for the rest of your life," I instinctively rebelled. But then I reminded myself how lucky I was that there was a pill I could take for the rest of my life, to avoid the alternative. And I put on my big girl panties and swallowed the damn pills.

I hope your brother will come around.

Lainie
Old 07 February 2018, 05:21 PM

D'oh!

Dear Steve- So you have to take pills the rest of your life--big deal! Be glad that medicine has advanced to the point that you actually have a chance at a life! It's not the end of the world that daily meds are now a part of your life, and yes, there may be side effects, but that is something you need to speak to your doctor about.

An imaginary friend of your sister
Old 07 February 2018, 06:44 PM

Of course if you don't take the pills, it is the end of the world. At least for one person.
Old 07 February 2018, 07:50 PM

Glasses

[piling on]
Dear Steve,
Would you rather take a pill every day, or give yourself a shot multiple times a day? Since this is diabetes we're talking about, not doing the former can lead to having to do the latter.

Seaboe, also an imaginary friend of your sister's.
Old 09 February 2018, 03:56 PM

Tantrum

Dear Neighborhood Health Plan Integrity Of Rhode Island,

(Ahem)

*BIG LOUD RASPBERRY*

Thanks for the LOADS of help. Now I don't have a doctor OR dentist. And for postponing a (minor) surgery to determine if I have a (major) problem.

Signed frustrated
Old 12 February 2018, 04:14 PM

Jaded

Dear Trump Fan Boys: Stop acting like Local Talk Show Host doesn't know what he's talking about. Porter et al will have his due process in a court of law. Due process doesn't count for squat in the court of public opinion. Furthermore, Porter et al is no longer representing just himself--he's representing the president. This is true across the board. Therefore, he must step down/be suspended until the mess can be sorted out.
F'rinstance, Local Talk Show Host was a state senator, and if one of his staff did any wrongdoing, the news report will not say: Joe Schmuckatelli suspected of wrongdoing, no the report will say Senator So and So's staff suspected of wrongdoing. Your name will be mentioned in the first paragraph (Joe Schmuckatelli, a member of Senator So and So's staff...), but certainly not in the headline and most people will not read further to get more information.
Funny how you sputter when LTSH calls you out on something, and yes, he calls out people on other side as well. It's called being an independent. If you don't like that, there are plenty of other shows to listen to that will say exactly what you want to hear.

Fellow Talk Show Listener

Last edited by DawnStorm; 12 February 2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Cleared something up-thanks GenYus!
Old 12 February 2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
F'rinstance, Local Talk Show Host was a state senator, and if one of his staff did any wrongdoing, the news report will not say: Joe Schmuckatelli suspected of wrongdoing, no the report will say Senator So and So suspected of wrongdoing.
If that's the case, it is a very poor new organization as they are accidentally or deliberately reporting false key information. At the least, the report should say A member of Senator So and So's staff suspected of wrongdoing.
Old 12 February 2018, 04:28 PM

I may have misheard, but the point the host was trying to make is that people will see the official's name and not the underling's name.
ETA: straightened it up! Thanks!
Old 13 February 2018, 05:36 PM

Dear S and N,

We've had this discussion before, you, me, Dr Z, Dr M and the PA. Stop asking for drug screens every damn visit! They will be ordered when medically indicated. I never get them first visit, neither do Z and M, and we've explained exactly why. I get them once a quarter at most.

We've settled this. They'll be done when we need to and not before.

I'm also in the PA's corner when he got mad after you said "We have to do..." No. There is no clinic policy stating we have to do anything. We get what is needed.

Same with the CTs. Not every patient with a headache needs a CT. Not every patient with a backache needs an MRI. We get what we need.

It's my name on the order, not yours. It's mine to defend when the attorney for the insurance company asks, not yours. It's my neck on the line, not yours.

Please, back up. We'll get what we need.

Ca "frustrated" sey

----------------------------------------

Dear A,

Stop promising patients I'll refill their narcotics if they come in. I know you saw the legislation from the state regarding narcotics. We are not a pain clinic. I simply can't do it, in most cases. If that's a problem, call Lansing.

Ca "Sorry, no norco" sey
Old 13 February 2018, 05:40 PM

Dear Casey: You may want to have this on a continuous loop in your office.
Old 13 February 2018, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I'm strongly considering a Trumanesque "The Buck Stops Here" sign on my desk. They don't seem to grasp that if we order a $3000 MRI series that I can't justify, that's my head in the noose, not theirs.
Old 13 February 2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Dear Casey: You may want to have this on a continuous loop in your office.
Pardon me....

*inhale*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! !!!

*exhale*

I'm good. I'm good. Just going to boop S on the head. With a hammer.

Patient comes in with potential surgical emergency issues. I order a stat MRI. It isn't done for a month.

My office manager (who's in charge of coordinating stat orders and results) says he'll find it. He can't.

Then he has the gall to ask why I'm irritated. Now, normally, I'm smooth as ice. Not a problem in the world. It takes a ton to get me more than mildly annoyed.

That patient had findings consistent with a possible neurosurgical emergency. I ordered it stat and it wasn't done for a month. Now he can't even find the results?

Gee, I wonder if I might be irritated because he can't do his nfbsking job?
Old 13 February 2018, 08:42 PM

But Casey, they did expensive unneeded tests on OTHER patients, so doesn't it all balance out?
Old 13 February 2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
But Casey, they did expensive unneeded tests on OTHER patients, so doesn't it all balance out?

Point given. The PA, one of the other docs and I are all in open rebellion over this idea. We've cut down the number of MRIs and CTs by about half, and considering we get nothing for the order (clinic doesn't get paid for labs ordered unless we do them, like bloodwork), that hurts no one and helps us. Our overall exposure for calling for frivolous testing is now much smaller.

I've a copy of the Canadian CT Rules posted in my office, as well as the somewhat less perfect New Orleans Rules, and today has had a lot of pointing to the algorithm by me and the other ordering staff.