Old 25 September 2011, 01:00 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Napoleon?
Not just Napoleon...Napoleon XIV
Old 28 September 2011, 02:51 AM
qmechan

No matter what, "The Ripperologists" is a fantastic band name.
Old 03 November 2011, 07:28 PM

Icon402 Is this six-inch knife used by Victorian serial killer?

A six-inch blade recently discovered could be the one used by Victorian serial killer Jack the Ripper, it has emerged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...al-killer.html
Old 03 November 2011, 09:19 PM

Okay, so a guy finds a surgeon's knife from a distant uncle, who was a surgeon and glass slides from uterus material. I don't see any reason why this is a big breakthrough.
Perhaps if the author had done DNA testing on any of these, I might be more interested. This article is not compelling unless I collected books on the case.
Why is it suddenly chic to claim a relationship to a serial killer?

Ali
Old 04 November 2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peneshaw View Post
Fascinating. I visit the Toowong Cemetery every so often as an archaeological exercise. Next time, I am going to look for that grave.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...013016,00.html
I really should get my butt into gear and do that walk in Toowong Cemetery one of these days.
Old 04 November 2011, 03:05 AM

Ok apart from the fact he was in the Uk at the time and the murders stopped when he moved to Australia there is no other evidence. Why did he stop when he moved here?

I can't the name the suspect or the source but I book I read years ago claimed the man the police at the time suspected (but had no proof on) died and then the murders stopped.

I agree we will never really know. If it was one person or several, if he did more then he was credited with or it the letters actually came from the real killer.

From the little I have read on the matter, that area of London was pretty dangerous at that time. Only reason we still talk about him today is because of the name and the letters.
Old 04 November 2011, 02:29 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I can't the name the suspect or the source but a book I read years ago claimed the man the police at the time suspected (but had no proof on) died and then the murders stopped.
I think that's Montague John Druitt (or John Montague Druitt--I've seen it both ways).

Seaboe
Old 09 November 2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks Seaboe.
Old 09 November 2011, 12:18 PM

Seaboe was that the one that was found drown in the river. It was speculated that he drowned himself, either through guilt or his insanity finally caused him to kill himself rather then others.
Old 09 November 2011, 12:41 PM

I've seen only "Montague John Druitt." The primary evidence for his being JTR was the fact that the murders stopped.

Basically, what happened, according to the memoirs of a police detective who didn't even come on to the scene about 18 months after the investigation.

It seems that after Druitt's body was found, an investigation into the circumstances of his life right before his death revealed that he'd been fired in disgrace from a teaching position, and that he was "sexually insane." I gather from this that he was gay, and possibly had had an affair with an older student, or someone who lived in the area, and been caught. It's also possible he was caught molesting on of the boys in the school. At any rate, Sexual perversion was all one thing to Victorians, and someone who would enter in a perfectly normal gay relationship, by 21st century standards, was also someone who was capable of sexual murder, even of opposite-sex victims. Child molesters were equally capable of violent adult rape, bestiality, etc. So, whatever happened to Druitt, which almost certainly involved another male person, although whether it was a teenager, and non-consensual, or someone older, and consensual, we don't know, it probably was not a violent crime toward a woman, but like I said, to the police, it was all the same.

Also, Druitt had said to one of his brothers, and, IIRC, written in a note some place, that he "was afraid he was becoming like mother." His mother had been institutionalized. We don't know exactly why, but it sounds like some kind of psychosis. She might have been schizophrenic, or she might have had an extreme manifestation of bipolar disorder, which is hard to distinguish from schizophrenia, just from reading clinical descriptions written before about 1930, at least according to a person I know who has a Ph.D in psychology, and has actually read some things like that. He was 31 when he died, which is a little old for the onset of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, but not impossible, and considering the stress he was under, could have made a subclinical case blow up. Plus the fact that just because he "thought he was becoming like mother," doesn't mean it was true.

At any rate, the police thought they had an insane man, who was educated and generally of a class a little higher than the usual people floating around Whitechapel, who, after losing his job found himself living in the East End, not in Whitechapel, but very close, about the time the murders started. He would have been better-dressed, and better-spoken than most clients prostitutes encountered, and made them inclined to trust him even when they were being extra cautious. He was "sexually insane," and died right after the murders ended. He was thought to have started out in medical school and left it, as well, but that turned out not to be true.

He seemed like a great candidate, and a great excuse to close the books and withdraw the extra manpower in the East End.

The obvious problem from our perspective is that gay men who are serial killers murdering for sexual thrill don't kill women. Plus, there don't seem to have been any murders around the area he lived before he moved to the East End. There's no written record anyone can find regarding his firing, so it's all still a bit of a mystery.

Most people whose books I've read, that study the case seriously (ie, aren't trying to make a case for some odd famous person from the time as the killer), don't think Druitt is a real candidate.
Old 09 November 2011, 12:52 PM

thanks RivkahChaya. I am assuming that is the one I was thinking of. Like I said I have only read the one chapter (I think it was a chapter) of one book. It didn't go into the details you gave just gave the usually thing about maybe he was Jewish, maybe he had medical training etc.
Old 09 November 2011, 06:10 PM

The Jewish thing has to do with the fact that there was a witness named something really obviously Jewish, like Lepinsky, or Lewinsky (I'd have to look it up to find out exactly what the name was, and my couple of JTR books are in storage), or something, who apparently got a really good look at the last person seen with Mary Kelly (other people saw the same person, in that the gave details of the location, and what he was wearing, but only the Jewish witness got a good look at his face).

The source that discusses the Jewish suspect (IIRC, it was second-hand, but contemporary) says that this witness was taken to look at a suspect who was incarcerated in a place for the criminally insane shortly after the murders stopped (I want to name a band "Shortly after the Murders Stopped"), and said that yes, it was the person he saw with Mary Kelly, but he would not testify to that in court, because he would not be responsible for the execution of another Jew. FWIW, there's no point of Jewish law against that, which the source of the information seems to think there was, although that doesn't mean that the particular witness might not have personally felt that way.

Now, police records to report the arrest of someone named David Cohen, and later someone named that seems to have shown up at Broadmoor (IIRC, but I didn't look it up, so don't quote me), and for a long time, people assumed that was the same person, and probably the person Lepinsky/Lewinsky was taken to look at. No one could find a David Cohen in any census, though, who was the right age, at the right time. Apparently, it came out later, that "David Cohen" was the "John Doe" name police used for any Jewish person (well, man, anyway) whose name they did not know. I'm not sure what the "David Cohen" was arrested for, nor whether it had anything to do with the JTR murders.

At any rate, JTR researchers, the serious ones, anyway, turned up someone named Aaron Kosminski, whose family did have him institutionalized sometime after the murders, but it was more like 18 months after. And he seems to have been pretty seriously psychotic, not someone really capable of soliciting a prostitute with the intent to kill her, nor bringing a knife with him for that purpose, or even deliberately eluding police. Also, probably someone a prostitute was not likely to go with in the first place, when she was especially on the lookout for crazy people.
Old 09 November 2011, 06:18 PM

Anyone else watching (or watched) Whitechapel? It's a British show, and I guess from a few years ago, but it just started airing here, and I just caught the first two episodes On Demand.

I'm curious about something. They seem to use a lot of authentic pictures in the forms of police drawings and things from the time, but the photographs of the original victims from 1888 don't look like the original photographs. I mean, they look different enough to be noticably not the real photos. It doesn't seem to have been done to make them look more like the modern-day victims, because they don't even show the modern-day victims that much.

What would be the reason for not using the original photos? They're in public domain, I'm pretty sure, and have been reprinted in hundreds of books-- often enough that I noticed. Or maybe I'm wrong. I didn't get a book and pause the TV, for a side-by-side comparison, but it seems funny that my first reaction would be "That's not the real photo."
Old 26 September 2013, 06:53 PM

Vanishing Was Jack the Ripper an urban myth?

A new book contends that Jack the Ripper, the notorious Victorian serial killer that has become the stuff of scary stories and nightmares, never existed.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...173122861.html
Old 27 September 2013, 05:08 AM

Now that's one JTR theory that actually sounds plausible.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:11 PM

Reading

I'd agree except one of the Amazon reviews says part of the speculations for the theory is that morgue attendants stole the missing uteri to sell to collectors. That sounds as crazypants to me as the theory it was Edward VII*. Maybe if there were a record of morgue thefts occurring like that it would make sense?

*Setting aside the direct evidence against that.
Old 07 September 2014, 05:20 PM

DNA tests ‘prove’ that Jack the Ripper was a Polish immigrant named Aaron Kosminski

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/w...752548b5744a3a
Old 07 September 2014, 06:28 PM

The Daily Mail article indicates that there's no solid provenance for the shawl ... but I don't know how reliable the Daily Mail is.

For a claim like this, we'd need solid evidence that the shawl sold in 2007 really belonged to Catherine Eddowes and really was worn by her when she was murdered.
Old 07 September 2014, 07:20 PM

This article has a lot more information. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-murders.html

Assuming the science is legitimate, it sounds pretty convincing to me, but I don't know if there are flaws that I don't pick up on.

ETA: Spanked on the article. The shawl has plausible authenticity, but no, it's not like it was booked into evidence and stored under seal and lock and key all this time.
Old 07 September 2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
DNA tests ‘prove’ that Jack the Ripper was a Polish immigrant named Aaron Kosminski

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/w...752548b5744a3a
So we can expect an arrest soon eh?