snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 04 January 2011, 06:43 PM

No

I had a boyfriend who swore that if you heavily taped the very end of a dollar bill on both sides and had the tape extending like a flat tail about a foot off the end you could feed the bill, non-taped end first, into the machine while still holding the tape tail, get your drink and change, then pull the dollar bill by the "tail" and get your dollar back. I never did see him try it, mainly because he was always so broke he couldn't afford to have a dollar that he wouldn't spend. Anyway. There was no point to this post, but the original post made me think of all the stupid ways he tried to con change out of people. Sooooooooo glad I'm not with him anymore.
Old 04 January 2011, 06:55 PM

The coffee machine in our office got left in 'free coffee mode' for a while, it would give free double espresso if you held down 2 buttons for 5 seconds, but you could only get a double of whatever it was. A double coffee wasn't very good.
One day it got serviced and the free coffee mode went away, probably the service guy noticed that it had made the usual amount of coffee but had collected a lot less money than it should have.

With the vending machines we played around with key combinations until we found some interesting modes. The only useful thing we found was the temperature display. The least useful mode made the SW reset and go through a self test of everything, meaning several minutes before we could get anything out of the machine. We never managed to find any free product mode.

We liked to joke how we like to hide easter eggs and back doors in embedded software, but it always turns out that our back door for the vending machine software only lets you get free coca-cola from your DVD player, or dispenses all the $100 bills in your microwave oven.
Old 05 January 2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
If you read my post above, what you said is inaccurate. The newer soda machines sort the coins and will stack them properly in the change making device, and those coins will be used when buying with a dollar bill (or with a higher amount than the price of the soda). However, when the change making device is filled, the new coins go to the hopper and can't be accessed (that part is like a pinball machine).
OK. We don't have bill vending machines here, as the smallest coins are large enough, so those mechanisms are not needed here. Our largest bill is roughly $3. So, here it's even money or you will lose the change.
Old 13 January 2011, 09:47 PM

I did have an experience once with a soda vending machine where it dispensed change every time that I hit the coin return. I did it a couple of times out of curiosity and then stopped because I do not like to steal. I am sure someone else with fewer compunctions came along later.

Also, when I was in college in the '70s there was a young gentleman who learned that you could drill a hole in a spot in a pay phone and insert a paper clip and all the change would come out. This was when phone calls were a dime and he got impatient collecting dimes so he put a sign on the phone "Quarters only". This was what eventually got him caught. And no, I do not absolutedly know that the story is true but I did see the phone with the hole and have always wanted to believe it was true.

dewey
Old 13 January 2011, 10:37 PM

When I was a kid, some days there wasn't much else to do other than hang out at the local pinball parlour. The bigger kids insisted they had a way to score free games on certain machines by zapping the machine with a pizo igniter. I never tried it, so I don't know if it worked, but many people my age know of the trick.
Old 14 January 2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
OK. We don't have bill vending machines here, as the smallest coins are large enough, so those mechanisms are not needed here. Our largest bill is roughly $3. So, here it's even money or you will lose the change.
And, of course, I meant that our smallest bill is roughly $3, our economy isn't that bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
When I was a kid, some days there wasn't much else to do other than hang out at the local pinball parlour. The bigger kids insisted they had a way to score free games on certain machines by zapping the machine with a pizo igniter. I never tried it, so I don't know if it worked, but many people my age know of the trick.
That works, just zap the coin door and sometimes it'll register a free coin. Machine operators do not like it though, as sometimes, it will zap the electronics, so don't do it.
Old 27 January 2011, 04:53 PM
Jiveman

My father owns a laundromat accompanied by several cola vending machines. While each one is different, they all work about the same way. In order to access the funds, a key must be used.

While it is possible to access a vending machines options by pressing the buttons 4-2-3-1. This usually leads to nothing more than finding useless information such as how many beverages remain, how much money is in the machine, internal temperature and so on. I have heard though that if a machine is set up with the proper settings, a person could type in the code and navigate their way through the options to receive a free cola.
Old 30 September 2013, 09:49 PM

Jaded

Comment: If you go to a vending machine and enter the code 432112311 and
immediately push the coin return and coins will fall into the tray?
Old 01 October 2013, 04:44 AM

When I was a teen (1970's) I remember something like if you put a quarter halfway through the slot of a vending machine with your finger on the edge then spun it as it dropped in it would credit a purchase regardless what the price was - probably 50 cents back then. I remember it working on multiple machines but maybe 5% of the time at best. A friend of mine would stand there, spin a quarter in, not get credit, hit the change lever, try again, etc. until he got a credit or got tired of trying and put the full amount in.
Old 01 October 2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: If you go to a vending machine and enter the code 432112311 and
immediately push the coin return and coins will fall into the tray?
I strongly doubt it. Why? Because once the purchase is done, the money are dropped into a container of some sort. Not uncommonly, this is just any box that happened to be nearby, in the case of my pinball machine, a plastic cookie box in the bottom of the machine.

There simply isn't any way for the machine to retrieve them and hand them out, once they are deposited, they are unreachable.

For machines that can return change, it's usually done with preloaded change, so that the machine won't have to sort the collected money into some kind of dispenser magazine. The money paid still goes to the "bank".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoitoider View Post
When I was a teen (1970's) I remember something like if you put a quarter halfway through the slot of a vending machine with your finger on the edge then spun it as it dropped in it would credit a purchase regardless what the price was - probably 50 cents back then. I remember it working on multiple machines but maybe 5% of the time at best. A friend of mine would stand there, spin a quarter in, not get credit, hit the change lever, try again, etc. until he got a credit or got tired of trying and put the full amount in.
Could possibly work, but I doubt it. Why?

Well, the mechanism has the coin roll through a channel which measures the size (diameter, and, sometimes, thickness) using carefully calibrated switches. Theoretically, enough backspin could make the coin roll back, then down again, counting as two extra coins.

Why do I doubt it?

Well, the channel the coin rolls down is pretty steep and shaped a bit like a flat funnel (or, if you prefer, a wedge). A spinning coin would probably either just slide down, with insufficient friction to go back up, or bounce until the spin is lost.

Examples of a coin sieve (Correct word? Just a straight translation from Swedish...). Not perfect photos, but some of the mechanism can be gleamed:
http://www.arcadegames.se/sv/produkt...etall-cpu.html
http://flipperskroten.shop.textalk.s...ur-framat.html
http://flipperskroten.shop.textalk.s...i-kartong.html
http://flipperskroten.shop.textalk.s...0&fullheight=0
Old 02 October 2013, 08:38 AM

Icon605

Quote:
There simply isn't any way for the machine to retrieve them and hand them out, once they are deposited, they are unreachable.
The commenter didn't say they came from the deposited cash. They could easily come from the change coins. (Not that I think any of these things work but your reasoning is flawed.)
Quote:
[...]
Why do I doubt it?
Because of your extensive experience with one or two contemporary coin machine designs (on pinball games??), which probably have nothing at all to do with the machines he's talking about.
Old 02 October 2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:

For machines that can return change, it's usually done with preloaded change, so that the machine won't have to sort the collected money into some kind of dispenser magazine. The money paid still goes to the "bank".

I've not been in coin mechanisms used by the more modern drink vending boxes, but years ago, the coin mechanisms gave change (remember, this was a long time ago) in only nickels and it was refilled as customers used nickels for purchases.

The mechanism would divert nickels from customers into the change tube. If the tube was empty, it would not accept payment which required change, and if the tube was full, the extra nickels went into the general coin box.

Today's machines? Dunno. Don't have access to them.
Old 02 October 2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
I've not been in coin mechanisms used by the more modern drink vending boxes, but years ago, the coin mechanisms gave change (remember, this was a long time ago) in only nickels and it was refilled as customers used nickels for purchases.

The mechanism would divert nickels from customers into the change tube. If the tube was empty, it would not accept payment which required change, and if the tube was full, the extra nickels went into the general coin box.

That was my experience about 10 years ago (except it wasn't just nickles that were held). The machine held several of each type of coin (quarter, dime, nickle) to use for change, but the rest went into a large container that couldn't be accessed unless you opened the machine with a key and then, on some machines, used a separate key to open the container. There was no mechanism for the change to be removed from the container other than manually removing it.

I think this is still true, at least of the machine that was at the apartment complex that I just moved from. After you put so many of a certain coin in, you could hear them hit the lower container.
Old 02 October 2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Dixie Narco, model 440, coin changer.

OY
Old 03 October 2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
The commenter didn't say they came from the deposited cash. They could easily come from the change coins. (Not that I think any of these things work but your reasoning is flawed.) Because of your extensive experience with one or two contemporary coin machine designs (on pinball games??), which probably have nothing at all to do with the machines he's talking about.
Actually, I do have some insight. I took a deep dive into the knowledge about coin operated machines around the time when Sweden was about to vote on the Euro, as it was predicted to kill off the entire industry if we joined (because the there was no good exchange rate that matched the coins, so prices would drop by 10%, essentially removing the profit margins). I both read up on the subject, and had a long discussion about it with a service technician as I bought some spare parts for my game. Also, since I'm interested in these machines, I often take the chance to watch and chat when one is being serviced.

I've also done my bit of vending machine hacking.

One trick that will work on some coffee machines of older models is to repeatedly push the button as fast as you can. If you manage to get two clicks in within a certain time, the software bugs out, and it goes into some selftest mode which, among other things, makes a cup of coffee. It only works on straight coffee, other variants don't work.

My gut feeling is that the buttons are interrupt driven, and if you manage to get another interrupt before you leave the code for the first, something bad happens which is detected by watchdog code.

Saved me a shitload of money when I went to university...

Quote:

Doesn't work like that here. Perhaps it's because our coins are in denominations that are unpractical for a single coin type change. Here, the operator simply takes some money from the "bank" and stocks up the change tubes when the machine is restocked. Cheaper than a coin sorter mechanism, and one less mechanical mechanism that has to be serviced.
Old 15 October 2013, 03:48 AM

Roll eyes

Comment: I stumbled onto a YouTube video that claimed to show the viewer
how to obtain free gasoline by using the pump handle as a sort of Morse
Code device. According to videographer, U.S. President Nixon authorized
government agents involved in fighting mafia activities to obtain free
gasoline at many stations---some of which still exist (no specifics re:
location are given.) These persons were given a "code" with which they
could "trick" the pump into releasing gasoline. The method by which this
was done is demonstrated in said video. A man having not paid for the
fuel places the pump handle into his gas tank then squeezes the pump
handle in a series of short and long bursts. The claim is that after this
sequence (3 short pumps- 2 Long-1 short- 2 long- 3 short), the pump will
(as it is apparently programmed to do) allow the flow of gasoline.
Sounds a little crazy, and "too good to be true."
The name if the video is "How to Get Free Gas" and the poster is "Rayan
Hazam. It was posted on November 27, 2008.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Old 15 October 2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Saved me a shitload of money when I went to university...
Right. I think this puts your comments about copyright infringement in perspective. Even straight up stealing isn't stealing to you.
Old 15 October 2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Doesn't work like that here. Perhaps it's because our coins are in denominations that are unpractical for a single coin type change. Here, the operator simply takes some money from the "bank" and stocks up the change tubes when the machine is restocked. Cheaper than a coin sorter mechanism, and one less mechanical mechanism that has to be serviced.

overyonder posted a photo which appears to have three change tubes - guessing, nickels, dimes and quarters.

Unless the vending machine, at least in the US, has some oddball pricing, nickel coin change would cover every purchase. Of course, that could be something of a problem for a 50 cents purchase in a machine that takes five dollar or larger bills, for the change would be a pocketful of nickels, but I understand the idea.
Old 15 October 2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Right. I think this puts your comments about copyright infringement in perspective. Even straight up stealing isn't stealing to you.
The newspaper vending machines don't usually have smart coin mechanisms and I learned mahcines which vended my favorite stateside big city paper would take a Philippines one peso coin as a quarter. The peso rate has been in the 40 to 1 USD range, so each peso was about 2.5 cents.

I used to put the pesos in, just for grins, get a paper and close the machine, then I'd put in the right change and open and close the machine.

Assuming no one stole a paper that day, the machine had more coins than it should have, but the excess coins were pesos, not quarters.
Old 16 October 2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It was a technical university. We were supposed to hack and tinker with machines, and have a basic curiosity about how they worked. It's the best way to learn.