snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 05 February 2018, 10:50 AM

New Zealand

We watched Black Sheep last night, which is perhaps the best New Zealand zombie sheep movie of all time. I never really got how different the Kiwi accent is before this movie. It was a hilarious movie and I am sad it took us 12 years to finally get around to seeing it.
Old 06 February 2018, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Tragic, darkly comic, and very morally complex. I'm not sure precisely what to make of some of it, but it was certainly very engaging from start to finish and I was still thinking about it well after it was over.

When I got home I had to visit IMDb straight away, because it's like a "who's that?" of people you know you've seen before, but can't think of from where or their name (in addition to several big names). There's like 20 "oh that's where I know them from"s.
Yeah I saw that yesterday, and I said to Mum later, that I am not sure any character was particularly likeable. But they were interesting. Like you I am not sure what to make of it.

I was also thinking it is interesting to see Woody Harrelson playing a bad guy. But that is also quite simplistic. And you had to pay attention.

There is a new movie theatre complex that has opened up down the road from me. And they have really cheap movies if you are a member and go on Monday. So I have seen a movie every Monday for the last three weeks.

The first was "The Greatest Showman". Which hasn't been getting great reviews but hey, Hugh Jackman sings, Hugh Jackman dances and well Hugh Jackman. I enjoyed it anyway.

Then Mum and I saw "The Post". One of the critics here said that while Streep's performance was good* it was an Oscar worthy performance. I can't really comment on that but Mum and I enjoyed it.

*As they always are.
Old 08 February 2018, 01:02 PM

I watched Mad Max 2 today for the first time since a half-asleep viewing in the 90s. I did enjoy it, although probably not as much as if I’d been wide-awake and 15 at the time of first viewing.

Then I watched Beyond Thunderdome. I’d say this is the furthest away from Mad Max as you can get while keeping Max and the general aesthetic (although, it should be noted that the conflict in the first movie is a couple of cars VS a motorcycle gang. The scavenger world didn’t come up until the second movie). Overall, I didn’t enjoy it as much as the others (it’s also the least violent, being rated M where the others are R and MA). I did however like the gibberish the kids spoke.
Old 08 February 2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
. I did however like the gibberish the kids spoke.
When they grew up they became the Trash Pandas in The Walking Dead.
Old 09 February 2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
When they grew up they became the Trash Pandas in The Walking Dead.
I will in longtime find the knowings of that show. But I didnít find the knowings of Captain Walker until this weekÖsoÖ
Old 13 February 2018, 04:08 PM

Disney

(From an earlier manifestation of this thread, where I mistakenly posted my comments earlier today.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Watched Escape from Tomorrow...
I just got around to seeing this one (trailer here) and liked it a lot. I do know a lot of people have complained the scenes don't quite hold together as a complete film, but I disagree. And while I respect JoeBentley's perspective, I think the film is far more accessible than Eraserhead or Begotten - although it would appeal to the same audiences - and the ending not all that Gainax. To me the film's major weakness is that some of the humor derails the creepiness, especially in the third act.

I found myself talking a lot about the picture after watching it, which must mean they did something right.
Old 17 February 2018, 03:57 PM

I watched Green Room. After that, I felt I needed to come down…so I finally sat through Follow That Bird. That’s TWO! TWO MOVIES WITH RACIST VILLAINS! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *thunderclap*

(For those not following, the villains in Green Room are criminal skinheads—led by Patrick Stewart of all people—while Miss Finch in Follow That Bird espouses the rather racist viewpoint that Big Bird should only be happy in a bird environment)
Old 18 February 2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
(For those not following, the villains in Green Room are criminal skinheadsóled by Patrick Stewart of all peopleó
Yeah I get that some actors want to play against type and push their range but it is hard to see some people as the bad guy.

Quote:
while Miss Finch in Follow That Bird espouses the rather racist viewpoint that Big Bird should only be happy in a bird environment)
Gasp!! In this day and age.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:15 AM

Mouse

Iím not sure if I can picture Patrick Stewart as a skinhead: his persona just seems too urbane and sophisticated. While itís possible for him to play a racist, Stewart just has too much class to be the leader of criminal skinheads. He would be the type of racist found hobnobbing at country clubs and in the corridors of power, rather than brawling with lowlifes in the streets.

Iím reminded of Roger Ebertís scathing review of Hard Rain. He felt that one of the movieís weaknesses was having Morgan Freeman play the villain. To quote:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Freeman's character is too darned nice. He keeps trying to avoid violence while still trying to steal the money. This plot requires a mad dog like Dennis Hopper. Freeman's character specializes in popping up suddenly from the edge of the screen and scaring the other characters, even though it is probably pretty hard to sneak up on somebody in a powerboat. Freeman is good at looking wise and insightful, but the wiser and more insightful he looks, the more I wanted him to check into a motel and order himself some hot chocolate.
Which seems about the size of it. Iíd have a hard time accepting Morgan Freeman as a villain, myself. He just projects this image of a wise, all-knowing guru, the kind who has long transcended foolish desires for wealth or power. Since most villains are seeking wealth or power in some form, I think you can see where Iím going with this point.

I saw Black Panther. It is pretty much impossible to discuss this film without getting into the political implications of it, especially given the current POTUS, but all art is political in some way.

Like it or not, by writing a book, orcreating a movie, TV show, or record, the artist is conveying some kind of message about whatever it is theyíre writing about. All those idiots who get all pissy about stuff like artists at the Grammys saying political stuff, are missing the point of art in general. Having art without some kind of message, is like having water that isnít made up of H2O. Plus, they only seem to whine about political messages when it comes to the Left. I donít recall them throwing hissies about Toby Keithís song ďRed, White, and BlueĒ which has insightful lyrics like ďWeíll put a boot in your ass/ Itís the American Way!Ē

Anyway, this film could easily rank up with the Thor films and the Guardians of the Galaxy films in terms of visuals, because it is just stunning. As a White Girl, I probably wouldnít be affected the same way a PoC might be, by the Afrofuturism aesthetics. Part of the privilege of being White, is that most films and TV shows are dominated by White people and I donít have to go too far out of the way to see complex, well-written characters of my race, who have actual agency and arenít just archetypes like the wisecracking sidekick who exists to follow the White Hero around. What we have here, is a story about African characters who serve as the major drivers of the plot. Given how often PoC seem to serve as a colorful backdrop for White heroes, I canít imagine how refreshing a movie like this is.

What I found to be really refreshing, was the number of great female characters in this movie. While Iím not sure if this movie passes the Bechdel Test, It easily passes the Sexy Lamp and Mako Mori Test. The women in this movie are strong, smart, and funny. They arenít merely there to serve as backups to the Male Protagonist. They are actively fighting and striving to save and rescue their homeland because itís THEIR land and not just because itís the Male Heroís goal. They are not the soulless, corporate Strong Female Characterô that Iíve complained about; they are actual characters with actual agency in the story. There are times when they are more competent than the main character. Said male character shows them nothing but respect, more than willing to acknowledge their advice and criticisms.

It is a reoccurring problem in the MCU that the villains, with the possible exception of Loki, tend to be bland and boring. I generally agree with these criticisms. The people involved with the MCU decided that they were going to focus the bulk of the story on the heroes and as such, they let the villains fall by the wayside. The MCU manages to work because while the villains are bland, the heroes are interesting, unlike the DCEU, which struggles mostly because both the heroes and the villains are boring, with the exception of Wonder Woman.

The villain for this movie is interesting in that he may have something of a point. How much could Wakanda have done regarding issues like the Slave Trade or Imperialist era, if they had used their awesome, advanced tech to alter the playing field?

Though this movie does bring up another reoccurring meme in the MCU: dads being dicks. I wonder if the Avengers ought to be called the My Dadís a Dick Club. Weíve already seen ample proof of Howard Starkís dickishness and Odinís, but if we opt to add in Harold Barton, Brian Banner, based on what is known about the comics...seriously, does everyone involved with Marvel Comics from the Golden Age onward, have Daddy issues? Though TíChaka admits that he majorly screwed up, but still
Old 18 February 2018, 03:10 AM

The real problem with Wakanda is that it's still running with the "hereditary male ruler who gets his throne via single combat," which was a holdover from the country's creation back in the 50s.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I am not sure any character was particularly likeable.
You have to dig into the very minor characters, for sure, and even then I hesitate to suggest one because they're so minor I don't recall enough detail about them. Like maybe the sign painter? I found Dinklage likable, but I think that's just his charisma. His character covered for an arsonist that he had a crush on, which isn't OK.
Old 19 February 2018, 04:49 AM

Decided to watch Who Framed Rodger Rabbit on Netflix last night.

You know, I really doubt that a PG movie would be allowed to get away with some of those jokes today.
Old 19 February 2018, 09:15 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post

You know, I really doubt that a PG movie would be allowed to get away with some of those jokes today.
Look at what Airplane! got away with.
Old 19 February 2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:

I happened to see a bit of this film on regular broadcast TV. It's not unusual for films to have a cleaned-up version of the dialogue recorded for when the film makes it to television (at least, it used to be common; as broadcast TV is a pretty small part of the movie revenue picture, I don't know if they bother any more). One example I recall, from The Blues Brothers, occurred when Jake told the nun that she was "up s**t creek," it changed for TV to just "up the creek."

In Roger Rabbit,, I saw one of the oddest and most annoying example of this. It occurs when one of the weasels is searching Jessica Rabbit, sticking an arm elbow-deep into her cleavage, whereupon a animal-trap snaps shut on his hand. As he yelps in pain, Eddie Valiant leans over and says to Jessica, "Nice booby trap."

In broadcast TV, the visuals of the scene are intact, but Valiant's line is "Nice going, Jess."

I was like....What? OK, they needed something that 'scanned' with the original line so as to more-or-less synch up with the lip movement. But it's so...not even remotely funny. It falls so flat, I think they'd have been better off just snipping those couple of seconds out of the film.

This, aside from the disconnect between it being perfectly OK to show the weasel sticking his arm down her dress, but not being able to say "booby trap."

Sorry, side rant.

More on topic: I was not surprised to learn that Black Panther broke box-office records. I went to a showing 6:30 Saturday evening, and it was the fullest theater I have been in in a long time (not to mention it took me about 10 minutes to find a parking place). I enjoyed it, but for me it fell somewhat short of the "amazing" buzz it was getting.
Old 19 February 2018, 05:59 PM

Yeah, I first saw Roger Rabbit on the Disney Channel when I was a kid, and while I wouldn't have picked up on some of the sexual innuendo then anyway, I'm certain that there was a lot of stuff that was left out of that broadcast.
Old 20 February 2018, 01:15 AM

Mouse

Quote:

To be fair, when that movie was made, a PG rating actually meant something, not just G-ish or a Live Action Kids Movie.

You do have a point though. As said in another thread, when it comes to the climax where they confront Judge Doom, I think the creators were in some kind of competition, where they wanted to see how many traumatizing moments they could cram into one scene. Seriously, Disney and everyone else involved with that movie, WTF?!
Old 20 February 2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
You have to dig into the very minor characters, for sure, and even then I hesitate to suggest one because they're so minor I don't recall enough detail about them. Like maybe the sign painter? I found Dinklage likable, but I think that's just his charisma. His character covered for an arsonist that he had a crush on, which isn't OK.
Yeah you are right. The sign writer was pretty decent.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:21 PM

Saw Black Panther this morning (9:30 a.m. 3D showing; it's what fit into our schedules best and the place was blessedly quiet despite this being school vacation week thanks to the early hour). I agree with what's been said: visually awesome, the action scenes were quite good, story was pretty solid but this wasn't overall the most exciting Marvel movie by far.

3D: quite good for outdoors scenes and tight action sequences. Terrible for CGI long shots, as it makes futuristic cities and vehicles look like toys, and falling sequences look very CGI. Overall, would not recommend the 3D experience in this movie, as it didn't really add to the experience as much as it subtracted.

Quote:
The real problem with Wakanda is that it's still running with the "hereditary male ruler who gets his throne via single combat," which was a holdover from the country's creation back in the 50s.
Yet I think that's probably the most realistic aspect of this fictional country and peoples, in a way; after all, [/sarcasm] politics and sociology always advance at least as quickly as technology does throughout human cultures and history [/end sarcasm].
Old 20 February 2018, 06:37 PM

Well, Wakanda is a fictional country, but having that element stuck in its government carries some nasty implications involving the way black people have traditionally been played in media.
Old 20 February 2018, 08:53 PM

CRACKED.COM did a fun piece a while back about how Black Panther is really (though unintentionally) the biggest villain in the Marvel Universe; apart from the whole isolationist policy, and what the existence of the country might have done to regional politics (according to some material released, Wakanda is approximately where Tanzania is in our universe -- suggesting that Ugandan refugees in the era of Idi Amin would have had nowhere to run), there's the fact that Black Panther would be a role model for would-be autocrats: a hereditary king with superpowers, ruling over a country that's actually doing spectacularly well. As the article notes, "Black Panther actually is who Kim-Jon Un thinks he is."

Of course, one could ask similar questions about many aspects of any superhero universe. (For example, in the Marvel universe, while the 9/11 attacks might still have happened, I'm convinced the second plane would not have hit the towers -- with all the superheroes in New York, several would have been on the scene by then and seen it coming.) (Also, Osama bin Laden might have been ready to take on the United States, but do you really want to piss off the Kingpin that much...?)

On the general topic: revisited Silverado last night. Still loads of fun, and a nice collection of really fine actors seeming to have a good time.
Closed Thread