snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 February 2018, 04:00 PM

In the summer I will frequently just a t-shirt although it has to have printing on it so I don't think I'm wearing my underwear in public. However, it I am going to be outside in the sun for any length of time, I will wear a loose fitting long sleeve shirt over the t-shirt as I find this is cooler than just a t-shirt alone. Well that and as I am blond, I avoid the sun a lot.
Old 12 February 2018, 04:14 PM

Dawn, I am sorry, but that is because he is old, like I am. Veruca was just asking about young people.
Old 12 February 2018, 04:34 PM

The thing is, I'm not even sure what the cutoff age is in the Great Undershirt Generational Divide. My question was inspired by a throwaway comment on a TV show, so it doesn't have very clear parameters.
Old 12 February 2018, 05:32 PM

I wear an undershirt under my button-down, only if there is risk of sweat stains (Although, wearing an undershirt in hot weather increases the risk of sweat, so ymmv, really. At least it wont soak through.)
Also, when wearing a barong as the traditional ones tend to be a bit on the transparent side.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:57 AM

I've been watching a lot of cooking shows lately and the one word that gets pronounced differently time and time again is "worcestershire" as in Worcestershire sauce. Is there a one correct way to pronounce this word?
Old 13 February 2018, 01:11 PM

When it's the county, it's "woostersher". The "shire" part depends on accent, though - some regional accents would say it more like "shoire", including the accent of the place itself, I think.

Sometimes the sauce just gets called "wooster" (that's what I call it) even though it's named after the county not the town. But others call it "woostersher" like the county, which makes more sense since that's what it says on the label.

(eta) I suppose I have to clarify how to pronounce that "oo" as well. It's a short "oo" not a long one. Like "book" if you're from the south of England, as opposed to "book" if you're from the north of England. It would be much easier if I just knew the international phonetic alphabet.
Old 13 February 2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(eta) I suppose I have to clarify how to pronounce that "oo" as well. It's a short "oo" not a long one. Like "book" if you're from the south of England, as opposed to "book" if you're from the north of England.
Yeah, that didn't clarify it at all.
Old 13 February 2018, 02:28 PM

It's like the difference between "tomato" and "tomato", except with an "oo" sound.
Old 13 February 2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Yeah, that didn't clarify it at all.
The proper way to pronounce it is with a tonal diphthong note between the two Os

Wu *click*ustasher

Old 13 February 2018, 07:31 PM

Wusster.

I accept no other substitute.
Old 13 February 2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I've been watching a lot of cooking shows lately and the one word that gets pronounced differently time and time again is "worcestershire" as in Worcestershire sauce. Is there a one correct way to pronounce this word?
There was a humorous television commercial many years ago in which a cartoon character couldn't seem to pronounce it. At about the 46 or 47 second mark he gets it right.

The character addresses his pitch at "ladies," assuming that at the time the lady of the house would be the person making purchase decisions for food items.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...B&&FORM=VRDGAR

Thanks.

Bill
Old 13 February 2018, 09:41 PM

Stupid question: Suppose you're buying lunch at what is essentially a fast food type place. Not one of the big chains but an independent restaurant in a food court where you order at the counter, pick your food up at the counter, and take your food to your table on a tray. You pay with a card and the receipt has a line for a tip on it. Should you leave a tip? The place also has a tip jar on the counter.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:00 PM

At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate I don't think I've ever tipped in a fast food court.
Old 13 February 2018, 10:48 PM

I don't tip at places like that.

Years ago, I was picking up takeout at the local Chinese place. I was very happy with the food and service, so on the last couple occasions I'd added a small tip when I paid. Apparently, management/the proprietors had noticed, because that day, before the guy handed me the slip to sign, he put a big mark across the tip line. It's the only time a restaurant employee has actively tried to prevent me from tipping them.
Old 13 February 2018, 11:04 PM

United Kingdom

Thanks to all who responded to my Worcestershire sauce question - and Bill a big thank you for that commercial! Loved it .
Old 13 February 2018, 11:11 PM

I concur with the not tipping. I see tip jars out in a lot of places where they don't really serve. Maybe I should put one out at work?
Old 14 February 2018, 02:08 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I'm wondering if this isn't something the Brits came up with as a part of their Odd Brand of Revenge campaign. They realized after the War of 1812 that they weren't going to get their colonies back, and decided they would battle us on two other fronts. One, they will beat us with style, and two, well, it's like Harry S Truman once said: If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Though I thought the fact we helped 'em out in two World Wars would have smoothed things over a bit.
Old 14 February 2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Not one of the big chains but an independent restaurant in a food court where you order at the counter, pick your food up at the counter, and take your food to your table on a tray.
Tip jars are pretty much always a case by case basis. It's OK not to, and nobody will judge you. I'll tip a dollar or two at some places, but it depends on the specific circumstances.

If it's at an actual food court, best described as "fast food", and you not only order it at the counter but pick up the tray with your order yourself, then all of those signs point to no. There are other places that you order at a counter where it might make more sense than a place like you describe.
Old 14 February 2018, 05:12 AM

I would tip in a place like that if a) I had a very special order that was prepared without fuss and/or b) the staff is smiling, the sun is shining and I just feel like it.

Option b) may be relevant in other tipping/no tipping situations.
Old 14 February 2018, 10:26 AM

Interesting video on the manufacture of Worcestershire sauce.

https://youtu.be/vAdAgHJ0aqI

TRIGGER WARNING: The narrater cannot pronounce (amongst other things)

Worcestershire

Anchovies

Maturation.