snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 12 February 2018, 09:48 PM

I once had a housemate bring a young cat home late at night, without telling me about it first. I was already in bed, and she went to bed, leaving the cat loose in the house. I got up first, and, when I came downstairs, I thought a neighborhood cat had gotten into the house -- we were in the middle of a small town where nearly everybody let their cats run loose. I nearly put the poor kit outside, under the presumption that it lived very close and could find its own way home; but luckily I thought to wake up the housemate and check.

(That cat, which looked to be about four or at most six months old, turned out to be already pregnant. She had two kittens, one of whom didn't survive. The other one wasn't entirely sane; but I loved him for the next nineteen plus years anyway. The housemate eventually moved out and took the mother cat/kitten. I hope that worked out all right.)
Old 12 February 2018, 10:08 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I know it was just a typo but now I want to know how to bailar Obamba.
Why did cucaracha music suddenly come in to my head.
Old 13 February 2018, 01:40 PM

Glasses

When my BIL was in college, one of his roommates adopted a puppy. The lack of responsibility taken for the puppy annoyed my BIL to the point that he took the puppy home for spring break and gave it to his parents (whose current dog was very elderly). It worked out well for my BIL, his parents and--most importantly--Odie, who had a long and well cared for life of indulgence.

Seaboe
Old 15 February 2018, 11:04 AM

Flame

Watch where you toss your cigarette butts!
https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2...-fire/slide/1/
Old 16 February 2018, 01:08 PM

Teacher

The green bin is for garden waste. Cardboard is not garden waste. Cardboard goes in the yellow recycling bin! If you fill the green bin up with cardboard then I won't have anywhere to put my garden waste.
Old 16 February 2018, 02:25 PM

Glasses

I think everyone who deals with separating waste (usually into waste, recyclable, compostable) feels your pain, GM.

Seaboe
Old 17 February 2018, 10:19 AM

Whalephant

If you tell me to "get a f-cking clue" twice in three minutes because I was unaware of a minor issue with your room 3 days previously (housekeeping only left 3 hand towels, not four) twice in two minutes, you should not be surprised the next morning that I am not going to go the extra mile for you.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:33 PM

Jaded

Drivers on the Beltway, the two cars involved in the accident were on the shoulder, thus not blocking any lane; the only thing left was for the State Trooper to write his report and summon some tow trucks. There was no reason whatsoever to creep along like slugs until you passed the accident! We've all seen wrecked cars before, so what's with the rubbernecking? Don't tell me you've never seen accidents on the Beltway or any interstate because I won't believe it! Eyes forward fools!
Old 20 February 2018, 06:07 PM

What I wanted to say Sunday: Guys the stores are only going to be closed for one day. One day. Relax. There is really no need to race frantically up and down the aisles stocking up for the End of the World as we know it !
Old 20 February 2018, 07:01 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
There was no reason whatsoever to creep along like slugs until you passed the accident!
Actually, Dawn, there was. In many states, if you are in the lane adjacent to the stopped cop car, the speed limit drops to 20 in that lane. Even where it doesn't, there may be debris in the road and/or pedestrians nearby.

Sure, most people slow down because they're rubbernecking. That doesn't mean there aren't good reasons to slow down even if you never turn your head to see what happened.

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2018, 10:37 PM

Fellow alumni often post requests for attorney recommendations in our law school's Facebook group, and they are often maddeningly vague. Most fail to specify which jurisdiction their problem is in; I could forgive that in those who are still local and forget that not everyone else stuck around after graduation, but a lot of them turn out to be dealing with an issue in a different state. You're attorneys, for God's sake; you all know licensing is state-by-state! But what's worse to my mind is how few of them state whether they're looking to hire someone, looking for pro bono representation, or just looking to pick someone's brain. It becomes extremely awkward when I do know someone who is available for hire but I can't tell if that's what the poster is prepared to do. Conversely, the terms of my employment do not allow me to take on clients on my own, but I'm happy to provide information and resources in my areas of knowledge if someone just has general questions. Recently someone posted a request that not only lacked both those pieces of info, but used an inscrutable acronym in referring to the area of practice he was looking for (based on the comments, I can tell I wasn't the only one who was confused.)

TYSHTTLawyers: we need that kind of info before we can help with a referral!
Old 21 February 2018, 05:24 PM

If the data in question is not stored in System X, it cannot be included in a data feed from System X.
Old 21 February 2018, 09:39 PM

What I really wish I could tell people right now:

1.) It is not my NFBSKing problem.

2.) It is not my NFBSKing job to train you how to do yours. I am neither your manager nor even in your department. Go to somebody who *should* be training you.

3.) I cannot be involved in every NFBSKing dispute. Nor *should* I be.

4.) If you have been told something 5 NFBSKing times by not just myself, but by my manager, the technician, and the sales guy, then you might want to consider that you either 1.) Need to listen to us, or 2.) You need to impart a vital piece of information that you are privy to and the rest of us are not.

5.) If I have told you that it is something my department doesn't handle, then going up the ladder and complaining about it isn't going to resolve the NFBSKing issue.

Hacked off,
Magdalene
Old 22 February 2018, 01:55 PM

Glasses

Magdalene, is that all the same person?

A thing I think YSHTTP: If it's early morning, and you're riding the elevator to the 4th or 5th floors (of 5 floors), send it back down to the lobby when you reach your destination.

Seaboe
Old 22 February 2018, 02:44 PM

Does that really do anything for modern elevators? I mean, yeah, I know it sends the elevator back to floor L. But by you statement you seem to imply that there is almost always someone who needs the car on floor L in the early morning*, so the car would head down when they pushed the button and take what, 15 seconds? If it is so busy, then in that time more people who need the elevator would arrive so a full load could go up to floor 4 or 5.

If it is so busy that you have more than capacity waiting, then those people left behind can/should push the call button as soon as teh previous car leaves (but not before! that just gums up the works.)

tl/dr: I don't see how the person riding the car to 4 or 5 hitting L before they get off is necessary or helpful.

*If by early morning you meant that it is so early that very few people have arrived at work yet, then who cares where the elevator car sits?
Old 22 February 2018, 03:53 PM

From what I understand, many modern elevators are smart enough to figure out where they're most likely to be needed during certain times of day and will just go there on their own without a human needing to send them there.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:15 PM

They're updating the elevators in some of our buildings. With the new ones, instead of pushing an up or down button, you use a touchpad to select the floor you want to go to, and the touchpad tells you which elevator to get in. On the backend, it's evaluating all the elevator requests and figuring out optimal routing for each car.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
They're updating the elevators in some of our buildings. With the new ones, instead of pushing an up or down button, you use a touchpad to select the floor you want to go to, and the touchpad tells you which elevator to get in. On the backend, it's evaluating all the elevator requests and figuring out optimal routing for each car.
I was in one of those recently. We were going to the restaurant on the top floor of the building for lunch and ended up in cab full of people all going to the restaurant. Better than the previous time I had been there, pre-elevator reno, when it stopped on a bunch of floors before getting to the top. Not a huge deal, but I bet it saves on elevator mechanical wear and tear.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:20 PM

I was in a hotel that had that- can't remember where, maybe Tel Aviv. I found it confusing but I'm not the quickest on the uptake when it comes to tech

One thing that was a bit unsettling (in the "takes getting used to" sense) was getting into the elevator car and there being nothing to push. I'd walk in and reflexively reach for a panel that was not there. It gave the interior an unfamiliar feel. (But see disclaimer about me above!)
Old 22 February 2018, 04:43 PM

Was there no emergency system, or changed-my-mind system, or I-need-to-get-out-of-here-faster-than-that system, inside the elevator?

I'd be less comfortable getting in an elevator that was only going to take me where the computer originally intended, no matter what -- including, potentially, trouble inside the elevator.
Closed Thread