snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 19 January 2018, 11:06 AM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
The early 1970s TV show the Sixth Sense had an episode with a man on a motorcycle killing people. When they finally show the motorcyclist his face plate is frosted over. This bothered me for years.
That was the episode Face Of Ice! It's on youtube here. You can see the creepy ice helmet scene here.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:49 AM

The 1980 interaction of Quatermass. There is a scene when one of the Pay Cops is shot and blood covers the inside of his helmet's visor. Can still visualise it now.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:00 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
That was the episode Face Of Ice! It's on youtube here. You can see the creepy ice helmet scene here.
That's it! I can't believe someone besides me remembers that show!
Old 19 January 2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Dot and the Red Kangaroo. And yes, the Bunyip song is terrifying.
Suddenly I understand Nick Cave a whole lot better...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Could this have been a misremembering/misunderstanding of Treasures of the Snow? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasures_of_the_Snow . I've never seen the movie but I had the book as a kid. It was a religious novel about forgiveness. The bully had crippled a boy by accident and he made the wooden boat as an apology, but the boy's older sister smashed it because she didn't want the bully to be forgiven. Everyone was redeemed in the end and the boy's leg was fixed.
I've never been able to work out what it was, but yes, that does sound pretty similar and if the film came out in 1980 it would have been the right time as well (I would probably have been 8 when I saw it, then). Thanks - I had often wondered what film it was.

But although I recognise a lot of the description of the plot, that certainly isn't the message I got from it! I wonder if the film changed the emphasis a bit? I definitely remember that the sin of pride was brought into it, with relation to the boat. (Also, in that plot summary, it's the initial "bully" who builds the boat, which in my memory it's not).

On the other hand, I can also see that if this boy had been repeatedly bullied throughout the film, but the message at the end was all about "forgiveness" and nothing was actually done about the bullying, that I would not have been impressed by that either.
Old 19 January 2018, 01:59 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
To be fair there was a whole bunch of books and comics and even animated TV specials that called him "Smokey the Bear"
Also his original name was Hotfoot Teddy, Smokey is just his stage name.
According to that pillar of accuracy, Wikipedia, the "the" was used in a song about Smokey (for the sake of the rhythm of the song) and thereafter "Smokey Bear" and "Smokey the Bear" were both used. I used to hear a joke that "The" was his middle name.

Also from Wikipedia: the ad campaign character was always called Smokey. Hotfoot Teddy was the real life bear rescued from a fire who was renamed after the character and became the "real life" Smokey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Re: Captain Kangaroo. The good Captain used to have the Banana Man as an occasional guest star. I was not afraid of clowns, but this wailing, screeching hobgoblin seriously disturbed me.
Despite my initial fear of the Captain, I LOVED the Banana Man. Go figure.
Old 19 January 2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I don't really have any for me that fit this. My wife does - she was so scared of Jaws that she won't fly over water. She worries that she will survive the plane crashing and get eaten by sharks.
Tell her Julia Childs took care of that when she invented Shark repellant while working for the OSS in 1942 during WWII
Old 19 January 2018, 03:28 PM

The 1953 movie Invaders from Mars.

There were scenes of the swirling sand pits in the movie and at my tender age, I would wake up at night and carefully look outside the window to make sure there were no vast areas of white sand in the yard.
Old 20 January 2018, 09:59 AM

My husband thinks it might be from The Electric Company, but I don't find it.

It's an animation of "I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly" and it was a black and white sketch-style animation. It really freaked me out and just thinking about it, sort of unnerves me. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering the Muppet show version. *shudders*
Old 20 January 2018, 12:42 PM

Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
My husband thinks it might be from The Electric Company, but I don't find it.

It's an animation of "I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly" and it was a black and white sketch-style animation. It really freaked me out and just thinking about it, sort of unnerves me. Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering the Muppet show version. *shudders*
Are you sure it wasn't this 1964 colour short but you maybe saw it on a B&W TV? From googling around it seems that a LOT of people remember being unnerved by the creepy horse at the end when they were kids.

Old 20 January 2018, 01:27 PM

I think I recall a shadow puppet b&w version of the song on TV in the 1980s.
Old 20 January 2018, 02:32 PM

I remember watching the Secret of NIHM when I was way too young for it, as my much older brother had picked it up at a rental place and I watched it along side him. I don't know if he put the notion in my head (as teasing little sisters is part of the older brother job description and all) or if I came up with it on my own, but by the end I was convinced that the Brisby home was being moved to the other side of a specific rock because that rock marked where the farmer's septic tank was. Why else would the farmer avoid it with his heavy machinery and not just dig it out of his field when it wasn't a terribly large stone? I recall a line near the end where one of the children, trapped in the rapidly sinking brick/house asking something like "What is all this black stuff?" Surely even a young child would recognize something as common as mud in the rain? So my mind settled on the notion that the family was about to drown in- well- what you find in a cesspit and made an already dark ending absolutely horrifying to me. I refused to play or even cross the far end of our lawn where a stone actually did mark the cap to our septic tank for years after that, absolutely positive I'd fall in and die. Imagine my horror many years later when, as an adult, I found that that septic tank collapse is a very real thing.
Old 20 January 2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Bear In the Big Blue House did the song as one of their "shadow" segments.
Old 20 January 2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
This guy's too young, but this video is creeping me out. In contrast to the Muppet show, his show shows the animals wiggling inside.
Old 20 January 2018, 11:25 PM

That's very much like the one I remember.
Old 21 January 2018, 03:40 PM

Slight hijack but the first version of that song I ever heard was Pete Seeger and the Muppets on an album I had called "Pete Seeger & Brother Kirk Visit Sesame Street". (What a nice album that was.)
Old 12 February 2018, 08:12 AM

Fright

While writing my post I realized hadn't noticed before. Two of my top scariest scenes involve actor Laurence Harvey. Here are mine in chronological order.

1. "The Sphinx" episode of Astro Boy. Astro Boy is not only the earliest show I can remember watching but it's also the first show I can remember that would every once and a while totally freak me out. This episode freaked me out for days and gave my nightmares. However, when I saw it again as an adult I had a chuckle at how not scary it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
The M-113 creature from the original Star Trek episode Man Trap. It sent me into a fit when I saw it for the first time. I had to run and hide and couldn't finish watching it!
2. Ditto.

3. The brainwashing scene in The Manchurian Candidate. Although this came out in 1962 I saw it the first time on television in the late '60s. That scene was, by far, the most disturbing scene I saw as a kid. In particular, when Colonel Shaw (Laurence Harvey) kills two of his men. However, as disturbing as it was to me it grew on me and it's now one of my all-time favorite movies. (I bought the Criterion edition as soon as it came out.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Just remembered a thing that affected me as a child, but seems to have been partially false impression. An episode of Night Gallery had a segment based on H. P. Lovecraft's "Cool Air";
I fondly remember that episode and "Pickman's Model" since they were my introduction to H.P. Lovecraft.

4. Anyway, for me, the scariest Night Gallery episode was "The Caterpillar". (Don't click the link if you're squeamish about insects.) At the end when Laurence Harvey's character realizes what will happen to him -- Yikes!

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 12 February 2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12 February 2018, 11:03 AM

Whalephant

Don't be Afraid of the Dark. I no longer remember what spooked me, but that movie definitely did.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:22 PM

I have a few. I think most of mine can generally be described as "What do you mean, it's not for kids?" i.e. movies or shows that I was really too young for, but for which that may not have been readily apparent given the subject matter.

1. Return to Oz in general has a reputation for being a rude surprise to anyone who watched it expecting more of the original film's lighthearted tone. Personally, I found the electrotherapy scene particularly frightening. As I was just a child when I saw the movie, I took the descriptions of the treatment to mean that they were literally trying to erase Dorothy's brain. To this day, I still dread any instance of that sort of plot device - I have no desire to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for example, and actually...

1a. "Stay with the Dead", an episode of Space: Above and Beyond that involves one of the characters facing brain surgery when others think he's crazy, is an episode I've still only seen once, despite the show being one of my favorites growing up.

2. *Batteries not Included - A story about a group of tenants who want to stay in their old apartment building despite pressure from developers to leave, and the little alien robots who take a liking to them and lend their assistance. Rated PG, categorized under comedy, family, and fantasy on Imdb... but the developers use increasingly violent tactics to get the tenants to leave, culminating in an act of arson that sends an elderly resident to the hospital. Scary stuff even for an adult.