snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 09 February 2018, 01:10 PM

dfresh, if it's in the budget I'd get several more of those fishys while you can still find them.

(Admittedly, you may find all the old ones sometime if you have to move the refrigerator, or something of that sort.)
Old 09 February 2018, 01:15 PM

Yup. I'm always having to look under stuff to retrieve lost toys. Sometimes I've even seen Ash purposefully push something under the sofa or entertainment center and then look directly at me.

Little brat knows exactly what he is doing...
Old 09 February 2018, 02:12 PM

Iris will bat things under the china cabinet and then look at me pitifully until I come get them out.
Old 09 February 2018, 04:07 PM

Asta the poodly pup, will lose things under a chair, ignore it for a day or 2, then go stand in front of the chair and bark until we retrieve the lost toy.
Old 10 February 2018, 07:47 PM

Because I didn't sleep at home last night, my morning routine today didn't unfold as normal and I forgot to have any coffee. Didn't realize it until around 2 p.m. when I was wondering why I had such a terrible headache despite having eaten and had enough sleep and water. The LTTMMH is that I had a cup of coffee, exercised a little, had some water and half of one of those 5 hour energies and the headache is pretty much all gone and I can enjoy the rest of my afternoon and evening.
Old 11 February 2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Yup. I'm always having to look under stuff to retrieve lost toys. Sometimes I've even seen Ash purposefully push something under the sofa or entertainment center and then look directly at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Iris will bat things under the china cabinet and then look at me pitifully until I come get them out.
You do know who really is in charge here don't you.
Old 11 February 2018, 05:53 AM

Whalephant

My sister and I were house/cat sitting for our folks and one of the cats batted a toy under dad's recliner then looked at us. So we tipped the recliner back, found about thirty toys, removed all of them then set the recliner back down. She promptly batted one right back under the recliner.
Old 11 February 2018, 06:33 AM

My mom's dog did that so much that Mom finally stuck a big pillow under the sofa so that the dog couldn't anymore.
Old 11 February 2018, 07:12 AM

Our Labrador could open the sliding screen door if was opened a little but only if she didn't think we were around. If we were near that was our job.
Old 11 February 2018, 09:42 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
My mom's dog did that so much that Mom finally stuck a big pillow under the sofa so that the dog couldn't anymore.
My sister-who otherwise is a sane and rational person- tried to reason with the cat.
Old 11 February 2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
You do know who really is in charge here don't you.
With Iris, in particular, there has never been any question.
Old 12 February 2018, 06:58 AM

Icon605

I was at Target last Friday buying a bottle of juice when the woman behind me said to the cashier "let me scan that for him." She then passed her smartphone to the cashier who scanned some app and I got 25% off.

Brian
Old 21 February 2018, 01:36 AM

Some friends of ours are using the week-long school vacation time to travel out west to visit family. Yesterday, they texted me to note that they were in a used book store, and was there anything I was looking for? I almost said no... and then offhandedly mentioned I was still looking to fill in some gaps in a book series I have been sporadically collecting for the last 35 years.

Ten minutes later, they had found 25 books in the series, confirmed they were ones I did not own, and gotten the ball rolling to having them shipped to me.

They are very, very good friends, and I am very, very happy.
Old 21 February 2018, 11:00 AM

Bonsai Kitten

When I get home from work, there is always a cat waiting for me in the picture window. When I walk through the door, said cat will be on top of the scratching post waiting for head scritchies. Yesterday it was Steely Dan.
Old 21 February 2018, 01:15 PM

One has to ask how big a book series is when 25 books are considered "some gaps".
Old 21 February 2018, 01:51 PM

I'm imagining one of those very long-running series with a million ghost writers, like Sweet Valley. Except it's probably not actually Sweet Valley. (You can admit it if it is, Crius! No one will judge you. )
Old 21 February 2018, 02:05 PM

Glasses

Men's adventure series often have hundreds of books in their series. Maybe that's what Crius is reading.

I have a friend who keeps an eye out for mysteries for me, when I'm trying to collect books that are fairly obscure these days (e.g., The Baron books by Anthony Creasey). It's a wonderful feeling when he finds one. Congratulations, Crius.

Seaboe
Old 21 February 2018, 07:35 PM

A few years ago, as part of my Christmas gift, my boyfriend bought me three books from the "Murder She Wrote" series that is based off the TV show. He got them for maybe 75 cents each. Since then he'll randomly surprise me with another as gifts for holidays. I adore them and really want to reach out to the author at some point because reading them feels like watching an actual episode and they're perfect for comfort reading.
Old 21 February 2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Men's adventure series often have hundreds of books in their series. Maybe that's what Crius is reading.

I have a friend who keeps an eye out for mysteries for me, when I'm trying to collect books that are fairly obscure these days (e.g., The Baron books by Anthony Creasey). It's a wonderful feeling when he finds one. Congratulations, Crius.

Seaboe
Bingo! The Destroyer series, by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir (and loads of ghost writers). I have about 75 of what is now 145 paper novels (not including spin-off series, fanfic, comic books, e-novels and novellas). Some may know this series via the movie Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, starring Gus Grissom and Captain Janeway. Or perhaps the TV show pilot that never went anywhere.

Depending on who is writing the series at any particular time, the books range from schlocky fun to occasionally actual solid action, and usually have some interesting concepts involved. It's my guilty pleasure, I suppose.

And thank you; my collection has been moribund for years, thanks to the decline of the used book store in my area.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:51 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post

I had to remove the tchotkes from my mantle because certain grey tomcats named Steely Dan would jump up on the mantle for the expressed purpose of knocking them over. I started putting cat toys on the mantle, and suddenly it's not so fun anymore.
Closed Thread