snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 December 2017, 02:34 PM

Glasses

If you don't want layers or bangs, you're really pretty much limited to growing your bangs out until they're the same length as everything else. At which point you can tuck them behind your ears, hold them back with clips, or just study life from behind a curtain of hair.

Seaboe
Old 18 December 2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Define "short." I find that my idea of short is much shorter than other people's.
Anything shoulder length or shorter.

I've resigned myself to wearing a head band--I don't feel like spending money on a perm.
Old 18 December 2017, 06:43 PM

If you don't want layers, there's always a bob.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:47 AM

Icon220

I will ask about that the next time I get my hair cut. Thanks Lainie!

Sometimes it's tempting to ask the hair stylist to just shave my head.
Old 22 January 2018, 04:59 PM

I'm getting my first IUD this week and I'm kind of nervous. I'm very grateful that it's covered by my work health insurance, so at least finances aren't an issue. I'm slightly terrified about the after effects though as my co-worker just got hers a few months ago and is still having a fair amount of spotting and bad cramps.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:46 PM

Good luck, Keket. As I've said on here before, I love mine and am going on 9 years with an IUD (this is my second).

It did take some adjustment, but all of that is going to be individual. Some people do fine, others take a while. For me, the day it was first inserted was very crampy, but I felt good the next day. However, for the next few months, I would get crampy if I tried to exercise past a certain limit. I spotted for what would have been my first period after insertion, but then didn't again until my 5 years was almost up.

Second insertion was just as bad, if not worse, than the first because I was also dealing with the removal of the first (which hurt more than I anticipated).

My suggestions for you for tomorrow are:

Be sure to eat something before your appointment.
Take some ibuprofen if you can just before the appointment.

Good luck!
Old 22 January 2018, 08:50 PM

Appointment is on Thursday in the evening after work, and definitely eating beforehand. I have ibuprofen, acetaminophen and buscopan on hand (and will be taking the ibuprofen before) and my boyfriend is driving me home as I understand some women have vasovagal reactions and I have low blood pressure as it is.

Last edited by Keket; 22 January 2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 26 January 2018, 12:01 PM

Well insertion wasn't too bad and I'm doing okay this morning. Some people say it's the worst pain they've ever felt, I wasn't bad; maybe a 6/10. I got a bit faint on the insertion but stayed lying down and the doctor got me a cold cloth and I was all right after a few minutes. SO picked me up and took me home (after a stop at Dairy Queen for chicken strips and a blizzard) and I stayed curled up with him on the sofa all night watching anime with a heating pad. I've got buscopan and ibuprofen on board this morning because I'm working a 9-8 shift at work. Also had to get pantyliners (for the spotting) which I haven't had to use in 10+ years and they are still just as annoying as I remember them to be!
Old 27 January 2018, 10:25 PM

I've been going to the same hair stylist since I was a kid; he's been doing my highlights since I was 13. I occasionally had to see someone else while I was living in Boston, and I never liked anyone else enough to go back a second time. Six months ago, my guy went back east to take care of his mom and never returned. I tried a salon in my neighborhood that had good reviews and photos of the hair color I wanted (golden blonde; I have warm/yellow undertones) on their Yelp page. I pointed the stylist to one of those photos, and instead I got a cool, ashy blonde that made me look half-dead. I did some Googling and found that's apparently the in thing now; golden is considered "brassy" and unattractive. Should I keep searching, or just learn to do my own damn foils? I still see people on the streets and in photos who have the hair color I want, and I can tell by their eyebrows they didn't come by it honestly. How do I find where they got it without being one of those creepy people who chases down strangers to ask about their hairdresser?
Old 27 January 2018, 10:50 PM

You can absolutely still get warm blonde highlights (as opposed to cool or ashy), and a good stylist can do it without brassiness. You could try it your own, but I think it’s really, really risky and you’ll probably have some major fails before you get what you want, because you’ll not only be trying to learn the application, but to find the exact product that reacts right with your hair.

I would suggest instead that you contact your old stylist, if possible, and ask what products and formula he was using on you. Colors are usually custom mixed. After that, research individual stylists, not just the salon they work at. I chose a new one by checking out salons and then going through their stylists’ personal Instagram photos to see how their clients hair came out. In the end I found someone I liked even better than the guy I had been with for years.

Good luck! Having the wrong color sucks. Been there, looked like a zombie.

ETA-I don’t think someone asking me who does my hair is creepy. It’s a compliment. So there’s that.
Old 28 January 2018, 12:32 AM

I don't think it's creepy, either. My stylist gives me business cards for exactly that reason. If one comes back to her with my name on the back, I get a discount.
Old 29 January 2018, 01:57 PM

Get them to bring out the sample books. My colourist has books with loops of hair in various colours. Any place I've ever had colour done has these books from their suppliers.
Old 29 January 2018, 02:40 PM

Glasses

I definitely wouldn't go back to a stylist who didn't listen to me.

I am another who doesn't think it's nosy to ask who does one's color. My bangs are blue; I can't say I get asked about them all the time, but frequently, yes. I usually just say I have them done professionally, though, because most people seem to want to know if they can get this color at home.

Seaboe
Old 05 February 2018, 12:35 AM

Anyone else had problems with urine leakage? I noticed it during the last year. It's not huge, but still noticeable. I can't go without underwear at night anymore. Is it common with women who have had kids and/or are overweight?

I think my uterus is kind of lopsided, based on what I was told during my last pap smear and the way my period blood goes on my pads on mostly one side

MG
Old 05 February 2018, 11:51 AM

IDK about weight, but having prior prregnancy(ies) a factor, AIUI.

Is it stress leakage, like when you sneeze or cough? Or positional? I have issues with both - an example of the latter would be thinking you've emptied your bladder, then experiencing a leak when you stand up (or, bonus! after you've pulled up your pants!).
Old 05 February 2018, 04:58 PM

Being overweight correlates with it too, from what I've read. You might look into physical therapy with an electrostimulation component. If you lived near me, I'd recommend my physical therapist, who worked miracles for me with an unrelated down-there issue (overly tight pelvic floor muscles causing pain during sex.) Your gyn might know someone good near you. Good luck!
Old 27 March 2018, 04:16 PM

Icon220

Reviving this thread to ask the following: where can I donate packages of monthly protection? The unopened ones, no problem, but the opened packages... I just don't want to throw everything away. I just read a story about the problem women prisoners have with getting monthly protection, but will any donation center take unopened packages? Each pad is individually wrapped, so it's not they're contaminated.
Old 27 March 2018, 06:45 PM

Glasses

You should call around, DS. And if you find out, let the rest of us know.

Seaboe
Old 27 March 2018, 07:05 PM

Battered women's shelters. Homeless shelters. Food banks.
Old 19 July 2018, 03:32 PM

Yow!

Resurrecting this because it looks like I need those pads after all. After one year (last June to this past June) of no periods, I've suddenly gotten one.
I left a message with a nurse at my gyno's office, but could someone here please tell me what the hell is going on??