snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 December 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
That is kind of funny. "American Pie" was the song I was listening to when I thought of this.
I have the biggest problem with "Gangster's Paradise." I'll hear the opening chords and start singing along "As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain... Oh, it's not that version..."
Old 15 December 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
GenYus, that is really cool. I had no idea that he had written The Martian, mainly due to a lack of sexy Satan in the book and movie.
The Casey and Andy site is still up; if you move up to the galactanet.com site, you can find his other, short-lived webcomic "Cheshire Crossing" (still waiting for the next update!), and a bunch of his early short fiction, some of which hints at future greatness ("Theft of Pride" might be the best of the lot, though of course YMMV). He also had a whiteboard program called Gametable that he took down some years ago, right when I had an interest in a whiteboard program

Oh, I see he uploaded a new short story last year. Still active-ish. A-mat.
Old 05 January 2018, 11:39 PM

The fact that "local oscillator leakage" is sometimes abbreviated LOL in technical documents makes me LOL.
Old 08 January 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
Dang it Weird Al, I can't listen to a song you have parodied without wanting to "sing" your version of the song. Sometimes his version of a song is actually better than the original.
With me, I'll hear a song and think, oh so that's the original! All the while singing Weird Al's lyrics.
Old 10 January 2018, 02:50 PM

Dog

Pearl doesn't really mix it up with other dogs at dog park, but she will bark at dogs that are wrestling--from a safe distance. *
She may run with dogs, but only on the outside, and any large dog that gets in her face will get a nice view of her pearly whites.
She really goes to get petted by as many people as possible because otherwise her life would be like a V.C. Andrews novel.

*[this caution is actually a good thing--if she was rough and tumble, she sure as hell wouldn't step foot in a dog park ever again]
Old 10 January 2018, 03:06 PM

My 5 year old put two toy light sabers up his sleeves and was running around with the blades sticking out. My husband said "Edward Lightsaber-hands." We were giggling over this and making jokes about using the bathroom and our kids were all like "what?".
Old 11 January 2018, 03:46 PM

The notice on the door of the local Petco: "pets, please make sure your parents stay leashed. thanks."
Old 06 March 2018, 03:27 PM

Resurrecting this thread to share Local Talk Show Host's take on the president: A five year old playing with dynamite.
Old 06 March 2018, 04:31 PM

My coworker's poor handwriting made one of our client's names look like "Harry Penis" and I'm not sure if I'll be able to think of him as anything else now.
Old 16 March 2018, 03:26 AM

When I got home and my husband hadn't actually started dinner as he'd said he would because his new gaming PC had just arrived and he was thoroughly engrossed in Luftrousers, he apologized and reassured me, "don't worry; I'll start cooking as soon as I die."

(Die in the game, of course, but he didn't realize how it sounded until I started laughing.)
Old 16 March 2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The notice on the door of the local Petco: "pets, please make sure your parents stay leashed. thanks."
In the downtown area of my hometown, there are a couple signs warning the dogs need to be leashed. Lower on the pole, there's a sign reminding dogs to keep their people under control.
Old 09 April 2018, 04:05 PM

I somehow got on the email list for a local restaurant and nightclub. One of their emails was in my inbox this morning, except the way I had my browser window sized the sender got truncated to "Harlow's Restaurant and Ni". So now I'm just imagining it being said by the Knights Who Say Ni.

What dark times we live in where random email lists can say "Ni" to unsuspecting recipients.
Old 09 April 2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
My coworker's poor handwriting made one of our client's names look like "Harry Penis" and I'm not sure if I'll be able to think of him as anything else now.
At a call centre where I used to work, the ladies spoke in hushed tones of having had to call "Mr. Harry Dick" without giggling.

Old 10 April 2018, 05:40 AM

My ex-wife once had professional contact with a lady called "Rosa Höschen", which translates to "Pink Panties". She did pronounce it differently ("Hö-schen" instead of "Hös-chen"), but that's not what you read.

You wonder what made her parents think that Rosa was a good choice for a given name...
Old 10 April 2018, 01:02 PM

One of my teachers at school was called Richard Koch, pronounced cock or pretty close to that. It was a Lutheran school and a lot of the teachers had German names. His wife used to also teach at the school but by the time I was there she was a stay at home Mum. She was pregnant with their first child when she was still teaching, and teaching sex education or all things. The students would have him for science the next lesson and he said he got some looks.

They were pretty good natured about it. Although she was being a stay at home mum she did run an after school drama group which I was a member of and we called it "The Dicky Drama Group"
Old 10 April 2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
One of my teachers at school was called Richard Koch,
Huh. I've heard the name pronounced as 'coke'.

Anyway, what makes me giggle is that I can tell which sink in the workplace restroom gets the most use. The one with the empty soap dispenser. Considering how sloppy some people are, this is a good thing, but it is a FWP because until the dispenser is refilled, I have the use the center or left-most sink.
Old 13 April 2018, 02:00 PM

I've been watching the sitcom "One Day at a Time" on Netflix. One of the characters just sarcastically laughed, but she was speaking Spanish (or Spanglish, I guess) at the time, so the closed captioning translated her laughter: "Ja ja ja."
Old 13 April 2018, 05:13 PM

Not exactly a things that makes me giggle, but your post reminded me of this. A few weeks ago I was watching the "Ministry of Silly Walks" sketch on YouTube, except since I was at work and my headphone jack on my computer doesn't seem to work I had the sound muted and YouTube's closed captioning turned on. I don't know if it has trouble with the accents or what, but it never once got the phrase "silly walk" correct. It became "city walls" or "city walk" or "city wok".
Old 13 April 2018, 06:13 PM

IME, YouTube's CC tends to be...interesting.
Old 23 April 2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
IME, YouTube's CC tends to be...interesting.
I just tried YouTube's CC on another Python sketch, the Spam sketch this time. It produced the line "mistake boobies honey bun mylord intestine is full of spam eggs bacon." I know Monty Python was silly, but I don't think that line was in the sketch.

ETA: Upon further research that actually wasn't as far off from the actual line as I thought...

Last edited by WildaBeast; 23 April 2018 at 09:56 PM.