snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 23 January 2015, 06:40 PM

Default Hypnotic memory recovery and criminal investigations

I'm reading a book right now (Spider Woman's Daughter, by Anne Hillerman, daughter of famous Navaho crime mystery author Tony Hillerman), and as a plot point the main character is hypnotized during an FBI investigation into the crime she witnessed in an attempt to help recover details.

From my understanding, hypnotic memory recovery isn't regarded as a valid investigation technique anymore due to how easy it is for false memories to get implanted during the hypnotic session. Did the author just make this up (or have a research failure), or are there actually law enforcement agencies in the US that still use this?
Old 23 January 2015, 06:59 PM

How recently was the book written? As recently as the 90s it was commonly used. I'd imagine that in po-dunk police departments it probably still is.
Old 23 January 2015, 08:38 PM

In a majority of jurisdictions in the US, including federal courts, a witness can't testify about something they learned under hypnosis. So I don't think the FBI likely uses hypnosis much from anyone they expect to have to testify later, although there are ways that the prehypnosis knowledge can be documented, if they really are desperate to try it for other purposes, like maybe to aid evidence recovery. https://books.google.com/books?id=Ng...otized&f=false
Old 24 January 2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
How recently was the book written? As recently as the 90s it was commonly used. I'd imagine that in po-dunk police departments it probably still is.
It was written last year. I'm not sure precisely when it's supposed to be set, but some time in the 21 Century.
Old 30 January 2015, 10:04 PM

I'm going with not so much a "research" failure as a "don't care, it 'll make for a good story that sells novels" success. Happens all the time with military-themed fiction (and with journalism and with things that are supposed to be factual) so it stands to reason it happens with crime novels too.
Old 31 January 2015, 12:11 AM

I suppose. It was a funny scene since it was a pretty big deal but ultimately pointless in helping to solve the case.