snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 31 January 2007, 11:05 PM
Trixie Tang

A dude I work with, when his grandmother died, someone robbed her house during the funeral. I know it's FOAF, but I really don't think he would lie about something like that.
Old 01 February 2007, 12:09 AM

DH's grandma's house didn't get robbed--until 2 days after the funeral when her brother went back home to Florida. It still steams me that I was totally ignored when I suggested taking her jewelry out of the house the day before the robbery, but what can be done now? In our case a random thief would have had to know where she lived--not very likely because her phone number wasn't listed, and even if they did know her number a quick google search brought up just a zip code. Our vote was someone in the neighborhood knew where she lived and that she had died.

4K, what you are doing is so admirable. Good for you
Old 01 February 2007, 01:53 AM
iam1funnychick

WHen my uncle died, there was a HUGE write-up in his hometown newspaper, where my parents and I still resided. They went on a day before his funeral, while my friend and I were going to come up the next day after some event. That night, I saw people looking in the windows in the backyard. In the 40 years that my parents had lived there, there was never a break-in or any KNOWN attempt.

We called police who came right away - saying that "this happens".

When my father died, two of the family friends stayed at the house and babysat my 3 children and my nephew. That was the sweetest gift ever - peace of mind.
Old 01 February 2007, 02:02 PM

When I was very young the son of our neighbor (and family friend) died in a car accident. I have a vague memory of the house being burgularized while the funeral was taking place. It seems very real to me but I was very young and have no way of knowing if it actually happened or if they were telling stories of other people that it happened too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
I went to a Protestant wedding once where people who were 20 minutes late arrived just in time to see the bride and groom getting into the limo to go to the reception. It ain't right, I tell ya!

Four Kitties
Of course it's right! Spending less time at the ceremony leaves more time for the party! Priorities!

Gibbie
Old 02 February 2007, 01:55 AM

First I would like to say, what a wonderful friend you are 4K. I remember after my dad died, I was lost. My friend stepped in and took care of everything , including stopping by in the morning with some juice and staying to make sure I drank it.

Anyway, somewhat different but when I was 13 our house burned completely to the ground, the only thing that was pulled out was a smallish tv that someone grabbed from a window. Now, the wonderful small town we lived in all turned out to watch the spectacle, while everyone was watching our misfortune, someone stole the tv that was salvaged from the house and even dumped the trash out of the trashbins and stole them.

So yes, I can believe it happens.
Old 02 February 2007, 05:11 PM
Rehcsif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Friendly View Post
they got a phone call from a Sergeant Whoozis, from a city way across town.
My mind just imploded trying to figure out what that meant...

-Tim
Old 05 February 2007, 09:19 AM
Banquo's Ghost

About a year ago or so I remember just such a case coming across my desk. 60 something year old defendant scanned the papers for funerals and the burglarized the homes. Most often, he took guns. If I'm, remembering correctly he operated out of Lancaster County.
Old 05 February 2007, 03:36 PM
Howard

This happened to my step-mother's brother during their father's funeral. I was there (not robbing the house!), so it's not FOAF.
Old 07 June 2007, 02:55 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Home of relative burgled during Hill funeral

Four Kitties
Old 07 June 2007, 03:24 PM

At age 5, I missed a day of kindergarten because my mother and I had to house-sit at my aunt's house. (Okay, she wasn't my aunt yet, but married my uncle that summer.) Her grandmother had passed away and the house was burglarized the previous day - there was a visitation at the funeral home from 7-9pm, including the recitation of the rosary, and this was clearly posted in the paper, not to mention that it had been announced in church on the Sunday just before. That was more than enough time for the burglars to do their dirty work. The funeral was at 9am, and after the funeral mass, drive to the cemetery, internment, and wake, people did not come back to the house until about 3pm. The burglars did not take much - probably never having even turned on the lights - but people were genuinely afraid that they would come back the next day. My mother and I stayed in the house with the doors locked, and watched TV very loudly.

I think it is a legitimate fear - people who are planning funerals are not in their normal frame of mind. They forget about routine items like, say, locking the back door. Each year there is a reminder before the big All Saints Day memorial mass at the cemetry, to lock your car and keep valuables out of sight. Many purses and valuables are stolen from unlocked cars during the few minutes that people spend at a grave site, never mind the hour-plus for the memorial mass. There are clever thieves everywhere...
Old 07 June 2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Why does this not surprise me?
Old 13 December 2013, 12:34 AM

Icon22 Desmond Tutu's Home Robbed While He Was Attending Mandela Memorial

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Police in South Africa say retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu's home was robbed while he was away to attend a memorial honoring Nelson Mandela.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4425343.html
Old 13 December 2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
It did happen to a collegue of mine. Do not post funeral time in the obituary, and if possible, don't leave the house empty.

Even better, leave someone with a nasty temper and a shotgun in the house to give these vultures what they deserve.
I minded my uncle's farm house once when his daughter married. (Small wedding, late in life decision, just immediate family). There had been a rash of burglaries in remote areas targeting funerals, and he figured a wedding could just as easily been a target.
Actually, there was a rifle in the house, but I didn't know where the key to the safe was. But just having someone there, switching lights off and on occasionally seemed to help. It gave them a chance to relax.