snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 22 September 2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
Oh, forgot to share this one before. After the aformentioned 5th grade "puberty" class, the girls were all given a free pad. A bunch ran to the bathroom right after the class to put it on. () I heard them talking later about how it kind of hurt... they had put them on sticky side up! I actually knew how you were supposed to use it and when I asked why they did that, they said "how else is it going to stay on?" Oh well, if they were going to be snarky with me, I wasn't going to help.
Why the rolly eyes? Maybe they just wanted to practice? (Probably a good thing in that case.) And I don't think they were being snarky; I think they genuinely just didn't know.
Old 22 September 2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
(And her boyfriend thought girls did pee out the anus!)
Now that's just weird. I can understand that he didn't understand the girlie parts and all that, but guys have anuses, too. He honestly thought it performed a different function? Wow.
Old 22 September 2009, 07:54 PM
Azzizi

Quote:
I knew a girl who believed that in college. (And her boyfriend thought girls did pee out the anus!)
I had an argument with a guy in the eighth grade about this same subject! He thought girls peed out of their rears also. I wasn't the most-informed person in the class, but I knew better than that. To his own peril, he made a big deal out of how stupid I was in front of other guys who didn't know any better, either.
Old 22 September 2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiguana View Post
Now that's just weird. I can understand that he didn't understand the girlie parts and all that, but guys have anuses, too. He honestly thought it performed a different function? Wow.
Yep, the convo went like this:

Girl: My boyfriend was so dumb! He thought girls peed out of their asses. Isn't that weird?

Me: Wow.

Girl: I know! I told him we peed out of our clits.

Me: ....
Old 24 September 2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiguana View Post
I thought this myself until I was at least 18. I want to say I'd been told this by an adult, but I might have extrapolated the idea after I learned that girls didn't have penises, but before I learned they had anything else, so the anus (in my mind) would have been the only possible exit point.

At any rate, it was something I'd "known" for so long that it never really occurred to me to question it until one day I had a certain conversation with someone that indicated otherwise (fortunately it didn't require me to expose my own ignorance on the matter).
Old 12 October 2009, 11:39 PM

Fright

Quote:
Yep, the convo went like this:

Girl: My boyfriend was so dumb! He thought girls peed out of their asses. Isn't that weird?

Me: Wow.

Girl: I know! I told him we peed out of our clits.

Me: ....
You mean she knew the name of the structure and didn't know what it did? By the time I figured out women didn't urinate out of the clitoris I knew what its name was.

Sister "i was in ninth grade when I realized that, if you want me to be honest" Ray
Old 13 October 2009, 07:11 PM

To add to the list of possible questions/stuff you didn't know about when young, DD1 was complaining about the fact that she'd have to learn about how boys bodies change when they hit puberty. I told her that it was important that she know how they work so that she didn't get taken advantage of in her ignorance and pointed out a couple of things that a girl wouldn't think of to ask about male anatomy. I also pointed out that a single mom of a boy or a single dad of a girl would need to know about the opposite body to distinguish between normal growing up and a horrible problem. It had never occurred to her that the penis changed from squishy to firm and the whole air conditioning system for the testicles was clearly both interesting and horribly disgusting at the same time. I also told her that a single dad of a girl who was ignorant of female puberty might not react sanely when his daughter announced her first period. A bit exaggerated, I know, but it did make the point.
Old 16 December 2009, 03:41 PM
CalicoMoon

Alligator

I just have to add that in 5th grade we were separated the girls from the boys to watch our own films. The only thing I really remember was a series of drawings depicting the flaccid penis and the hard very red penis with explanations of how blood flow caused this.

Later on at lunch, I kid you not, we had hotdogs. They were the cheap brand that were infused with horrible red dye. We all giggled our heads off and no one took a bite. I remember the boys looking at us strangely from the next table and that just sent us into more fits of laughter.

Also, when my husband was young his uncle told him to never have sex because women had teeth in their vaginas. He held on to that peice of knowledge for a lot longer than he'll publicly admit. Every now and then I ask him if he wants to help me brush my teeth.
Old 20 December 2009, 08:30 AM

Frying Pan

Oh, dear. Now I don't feel so alone.

Mind you, I grew up in the 1950s and ......

My Mom's hand-wringing, I-can-hardly-get-the-words-out explanation of sex left me not educated but with a huge social problem. She did that "the egg travels from the mommy to the daddy" business which I understood as the sperm flying through the air like a bee until zap! you're pregnant. Putting that together with how my dog went through heat I could not imagine how one delicately told a boy, "I can't go out with you; I'm menstruating and I don't want to get pregnant."

As for the notion of getting pregnant from being kissed, I understand Anne of Cleves was puzzled why she wasn't with child because "the king always kisses me goodnight."

ETA:

As far as condoms go, even after having a worldly-wise date tell me that "if you didn't know how to use a condom, a prostitute would put it on for you," I thought they were inserted into the guy's penis, or they were some kind of lotion dispenser where you poured the lotion straight into the guy's urethra.

Oh, and I didn't really understand sex until my second year of college. I stole my roommate's human physiology textbook and took really good notes.

Last edited by rosa who else; 20 December 2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 20 December 2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post
As for the notion of getting pregnant from being kissed, I understand Anne of Cleves was puzzled why she wasn't with child because "the king always kisses me goodnight."
And on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have today's FailBlog.
Old 21 December 2009, 05:37 PM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoMoon View Post
I just have to add that in 5th grade ....

Also, when my husband was young his uncle told him to never have sex because women had teeth in their vaginas. He held on to that peice of knowledge for a lot longer than he'll publicly admit. Every now and then I ask him if he wants to help me brush my teeth.
OK, here's a bad 5th grade joke...

A boy is playing doctor with a neighbor girl, and his mother catches them. Mom says "Don't touch girls down there - they have teeth." Being a good son, he believes her, and never touches a girl "down there". He goes to college and becomes a dentist, still believing that girls have teeth "down there". On his wedding night, his wife puts on a sexy nightie; he puts on flanel PJs and turns over. His wife says "Darling, don't you want to consomate the mariage?" "What do you mean?" At which point, she tells him about the birds and the bees. "You want me to put my.... in there? But you have teeth down there!" "No I don't. Take a look." He looks. "Well it's no wonder your teeth fell out - you have terrible gum disease down there!"

Hey, I warned you it was bad and on a 5th grade level.
Old 16 April 2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBarbarella View Post
In my defense, I was only in 6th grade, but I once (anonymously) asked my teacher if one could get pregnant having anal sex (we were just discussing how it could damage that area of your body).

But then again, I was raised by a mother who believed tampons caused you to lose your virginity.
Regarding the whole pregnancy via anal sex is something which I find interesting as I work with a lot of girls who are utterly convinced that they don't need to wear condoms for anal sex, yet are still getting pregnant...

I've recently started working with young women in East London, largely a religious and ethnic back ground which forbids sex before marriage and virginity is very, very important so... As a way getting around this, the girls are having anal sex.

It's not my place to say what they should or shouldn't be doing with their bodies however I do always mentions condoms, condoms, condoms. Recently I've seen some girls talking to female nurses who have discussed in group supervision the following problems, these girls are getting pregnant yet are only having anal sex so... What we understand is happening is this.

Unprotected anal sex done quickly at school/youth group/back of shed and the resulting goo isn't cleared up quickly. In some cases the semen will collect in the young womens underwear and "absorbed" by the vagina if it's that right time of the month, or you get some girls who swipe rear to front placing the semen into direct contact with the vagina. Suddenly 3/4 months later these girls are preggers despite never having vaginal sex.

Lawd, to be a fly on the wall when their family found out their daughter is a technical virgin and a mother to be...

Oh, and the tampon thing? From my understands most people I work with believe virgnity is lost via the breaking of the hyman, so that includes while playing tennis, horse back riding or using a tampon.

At least it makes for an interesting anedote that you lost your virginity while riding a horse ladys...
Old 16 April 2010, 01:01 PM

My parents got off pretty easily with me. I knew babies grew in mummy's tummy, but it never dawned on me to ask how they came out. Mummy went into hospital with a big tummy and came home with a baby. It was obvious to me that the doctor took the baby out! (My mum, in her childhood when more babies were born in the home, believed the baby arrived in the big black bag the midwife carried).

By 8 or 9 I was reading science books and Reader's Digests (I was a precocious reader) and between that and growing up in a rural area where people had and bred equines, I had a fairly good idea of what went where and how the offspring got out. So the only real surprise to me was that people did it face to face (in the sex education programmes where it was coyly called "the love position") and not bending over to do it horsey-style.

I was also confused when I asked mum what it meant when a horse was gelded. She said "so he can't reproduce his own kind". Which made me wonder what kind he was producing - maybe a different colour or a horse could only produce ponies. If mum had said "so he can't get a mare pregnant" I'd have understood. Unfortunately mum hadn't realised I was working my way through dad's entire collection of Reader's Digests with the "I am Jane's/John's" series) as well as some science books I bought at a school jumble sale. By the time I got to 2ndary school I was better informed than most of my peer group on the mechanics of reproductive sex.

After the primary school sex education programmes, the rumour went round the playground that if the man lay the other way round it must be the "hate position". We were a few years too young to understand about oral!

My favourite sex ed joke was about little Johnny who asked him mum where babies came from. His mum stripped off and pointed to all the relevant bits of anatomy and told him how babies were born. "That was a close thing," said little Johnny, "another few inches and I'd have been born a turd!"

Or the snooker player on honeymoon who wasn't sure whether to go for the easy pink or the tight brown!
Old 16 April 2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoMoon View Post
OMG, now I know where our euphemism for sex comes from! One night I went to BIL's to pick up his GF for a girls night out. When I knocked on the door, they yelled for me to come on in and then both came out of the bedroom. "Oh, we were just brushing our teeth!" Riiiiight... I had no idea they were brushing THOSE teeth!
Old 16 April 2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
IAnd her boyfriend thought girls did pee out the anus!)
I thought that when I was a kid.
Old 01 June 2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
Wow, FormicaArchonis, that's actually really sad. I mean, if that's all you're going to do, just skip it altogether. Geez.

Oh, forgot to share this one before. After the aformentioned 5th grade "puberty" class, the girls were all given a free pad. A bunch ran to the bathroom right after the class to put it on. () I heard them talking later about how it kind of hurt... they had put them on sticky side up! I actually knew how you were supposed to use it and when I asked why they did that, they said "how else is it going to stay on?" Oh well, if they were going to be snarky with me, I wasn't going to help.
I take it that your class did not see these...
(((((Hemophobia or Hemaphobia, Hematophobia, or Menophobia Warning!)))))

Old 01 June 2010, 09:26 PM

I don't say this often, but: Thank goddess for menopause.
Old 06 April 2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post
And of course there is the spoof 'gender' education film in a certain episode of the Goodies that leaves the impression you get pregnant by holding hands...
Old 06 April 2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
And of course there is the spoof 'gender' education film in a certain episode of the Goodies that leaves the impression you get pregnant by holding hands...
My mum used to work with chaps who regularly sent wind-up letters to agony pages along the lines of:

"I held my girlfriend's hand while we were at the cinema. Will she get pregnant?"

Sometimes it was holding hands, sometimes it was French kissing, sometimes it was hand on knee. It was long enough ago that at least some of the letters were mistaken for genuine naivete (or found amusing enough?) and printed.
Old 06 April 2011, 07:04 PM

I remember a skit by a couple of Brits playing father and son where the father is giving The Talk, except that he is explaining to his adolescent son that it is very wrong to sit in a seat still warm from his mother's body heat, as that is how babies are made (or maybe it was that he should not sit in her chair, lest she sit while his body heat is still there). I have a vague recollection that it might have been Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, but that's been nearly 40 years ago, so I cannot be sure.