snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 26 August 2009, 01:47 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
I would imagine that we would have figured out "sex = babies" pretty early on after the evolution of somewhat more sophisticated brains, even if the exact mechanism was unknown.
That's one of the things that annoys me about Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series: the Cro-Magnons have a pretty advanced society but somehow haven't figured out that sex has anything to do with babies. Ayla suggests that the two may be connected but is met with general skepticism.

Quote:
(I've heard interesting theories of Greek philosophers, including the idea that every woman has a dozen teeny, tiny [but fully-formed] babies inside her, and all those female teeny, tiny babies have even teenier, tinier babies inside them, and on and on forever. Which is sort of creepy, actually.)
Maybe that's where those Russian nesting dolls come from!
Old 26 August 2009, 05:30 PM

Icon97

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I work in a swimming pool type place and between the chlorine and ozone and how quickly sperm die, no way in hell she got pregnant in the pool.
Oh, I disagree. She could easily have gotten pregnant in the pool; it would have involved having sex in the pool, not from random sperm floating in the pool, but she easily could have gotten pregnant in the pool.
Old 27 August 2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Oh, I disagree. She could easily have gotten pregnant in the pool; it would have involved having sex in the pool, not from random sperm floating in the pool, but she easily could have gotten pregnant in the pool.

I'm guesing that is more along the lines of what actually happened.
Old 27 August 2009, 04:09 PM

Whalephant

That's a wooly mammoth icon above.....

Quote:
That's one of the things that annoys me about Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series: the Cro-Magnons have a pretty advanced society but somehow haven't figured out that sex has anything to do with babies. Ayla suggests that the two may be connected but is met with general skepticism.
I didn't find that so hard to believe due to the cause and effect. There was no immediate consequense from sex, coupled (he, he) with the seasonal child bearing of the animals they observed. Typically there is little to no mating during the delivery season.

BB&S
Old 27 August 2009, 04:27 PM

Plus, lots of times people have sex and there's no baby. I don't find it so hard to believe that people wouldn't realize.
Old 27 August 2009, 05:18 PM

I thought it was generally accepted that it wasn't until domestication of animals began that people got a real handle on sex=babies.

Hard to know for sure what prehistoric people thought or believed though. Knowing how idiotic religion makes many people today behave, whether they might consider the possibility that sex led to pregnancy might depend on how indoctrinated they were and what their religion had to say about it.
Old 10 September 2009, 08:41 AM
The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Well, yes, you're correct about that.