snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 25 April 2007, 03:41 PM
8Ball

Deep Purple "Knocking At Your Back Door"

This song was popular in the early 80's. There is no doubt of the meaning when they are sung, but when you read the lyrics there is not one dirty word in there. My favorite line is "So we put her on the hit list of a common cunning linguist, a master of many tongues" Say that one out loud :o
Old 25 April 2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Led Zeppelin's "Lemon Song" had a pretty blatent similar line: "Squueze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg."
Which they "borrowed" from Robert Johnson.
Old 25 April 2007, 04:17 PM

If you can find the live version of Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion featuring Jimmy Page (you can tell it's Page due to the five minute solo after the song finishes) features the line "I've got the garage but I'll park it in the rear" (instead of "I can't say baby where I'll be in a year"). That one's fairly obvious, I'd say.
Old 11 May 2007, 09:21 PM

I always thought the line "I'll take you back stage you can drink from my glass" referred to something besides water...
Old 12 May 2007, 05:15 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
According to Bruuuce's official site, it's "takin'."
I have several, in fact six, different versions of the song sung by Robert Gordon. Five of 'em are recorded live and one is taken off of the album Fresh Fish Special (1978). I listened to 'em all, and he seems to sing it "chasin'" in every one of them.

I still haven't heard Bruce's version of the song, me and hubby are not big fans of his music. I suppose I gotta get my hands on the Bruce's version. It's the original one, right?
Old 12 May 2007, 05:57 PM

He wrote it, but I think the Pointer Sisters recorded it first. Theirs is the best known, anyway. AFAIK, the only Springsteen album with him singing that one is the rather expensive live box set. You can get it cheap enough used these days, but you probably don't really want it if you're not a big fan.
Old 12 May 2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus
Led Zeppelin's "Lemon Song" had a pretty blatent similar line: "Squueze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg."
Which they "borrowed" from Robert Johnson.
Uh, yeah. That was my point.
Old 12 May 2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave
Agreed. But the filthiest song of that era has to be "Shake Rattle and Roll." There was an unofficial custom back then of "cleaning up" the lyrics to dirty songs like that when white artists covered them. But when super-non-threatening Bill Haley cleaned up the words to "Shake Rattle and Roll," the dirtiest double entendre in the song - "I'm like a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store" - was so well-hidden that he left it in. And in a time when Lucille Ball couldn't say "pregnant" on television, it made the top ten.

Okay--the "one-eyed cat" *COULD* refer to a certain part of the male anatomy more often compared to a snake, and the "seafood store" *COULD* refer to the common reference to a certain part of the female anatomy (with its alleged "fishy" smell) or, less specifically, a woman (based on the slang word "fish" for woman, derived from "fishwife").
(Note, my caps and asterisks are intended to emphazise this as only a theory. It really would be just as easy to accept the simile as being completely literal.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
No. I think he's singing about an actual wounded, one-eyed stray cat. Poor thing probably hasn't eaten in weeks, so he's peeping in the front window of the local fish market.

Could be. But in the original version of the song, the next line is "I can look at you, tell you ain't no child no more." It's doesn't really take a stretch of the imagination to see that as suggestive.
Old 14 May 2007, 05:31 PM

Icon101

Since you all seem to be so good at fielding these references, maybe one of you filthy-minded smart people ( or is that smart-minded filthy people?) can answer this one for me - it's been bothering me for years and no one I've ever asked knows the answer.

On the Alanis Morissette song, "All I Really Want", there's this line: "I'm like Estella/I like to reel it in and then spit it out, I'm frustrated by your apathy".

Now, it's entirely possible that there's nothing whatsoever off-color about that line, but I've always wondered. Anyone?

Ali "in your endo" Baba
Old 14 May 2007, 06:59 PM

I have always felt that Linda Ronstadt's performance of the great Warren Zevon's Poor, Poor, Pitiful, Me was the epitomy of the Rock and Roll entendre.

(snip)
Well I met a man out in Hollywood
Now I ain't naming names
Well he really worked me over good
Just like Jesse James
Yes he really worked me over good
He was a credit to his gender
Put me through some changes Lord
Sort of like a Waring blender
Old 14 May 2007, 07:51 PM
Grendel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
If you can find the live version of Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion featuring Jimmy Page (you can tell it's Page due to the five minute solo after the song finishes) features the line "I've got the garage but I'll park it in the rear" (instead of "I can't say baby where I'll be in a year"). That one's fairly obvious, I'd say.
When I saw them live (Permanent Vacation tour), Steven Tyler sang "A month on the road and I'll be cummin' in your hand" instead of "eating from your hand", in the same song.

He also sang "Cream On" instead of "Dream On" a few times.
Old 15 May 2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
I would argue Shakespeare never hid his dirty words. He may have phrased them in many filthy puns, but he wanted people to understand him.

Listening to Robert Johnson the other day, one lyric in a song which I cannot recall the name of had a line about "your juice running down my leg" which I can't believe no one at the time caught.

Sister "was it okay because people assumed no one was listening anyway?" Ray
Your interpretation is sort of right. The only reason Robert Johnson was ever recorded was due to a government project during the great depression. As part of the WPA, people went around the counrty preserving folk art, of which rural blues was a part. So Johnson's recordings were porobably never intended for mass market. In fact, most black recordings were placed under the labe of "race music" and so the artists were not as tightly scrutinized as other artists. It made it possible for Billie Holliday to record strange fruit.http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/billie+..._20017859.html
Old 15 May 2007, 06:17 PM

Shout

I didn't know Johnson was recorded under the WPA. I knew people wanted to record his playing for tradition, but not for the WPA.

Since "Strange Fruit" wound up becoming a hit song, I suppose that one backfired a bit.

Sister "not that I mind, mind you" Ray
Old 15 May 2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBaba View Post
On the Alanis Morissette song, "All I Really Want", there's this line: "I'm like Estella/I like to reel it in and then spit it out, I'm frustrated by your apathy".
Doing a quick Google Search found this:

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=12432

Quote:
(From www.definitelyalanis.com):Alanis compares herself to a woman named "Estella". This is a reference to the character Estella in Charles Dickens' novel Great Expectations. Estella has a tendency to use the men in her life and be used by them at the same time, hence the lyric "I'm like Estella. I like to reel it in and then spit it out. I'm frustrated by your apathy." As Alanis put it, "Estella has man troubles to say the least."
Old 15 May 2007, 09:53 PM
Giant Communist Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Joe View Post
The only reason Robert Johnson was ever recorded was due to a government project during the great depression. As part of the WPA, people went around the counrty preserving folk art, of which rural blues was a part.
I think you may be confusing this with Lead Belly, who was recorded by John and Alan Lomax as part of a project for the Library of Congress. H. C. Speir put Johnson in contact with Ernie Oertle who recorded him. Speir worked for ARC, a record company whose labels included Melotone, Perfect, Oriole, Banner and Vocalion. Most of Johnson's stuff was released on Melotone, Vocalion or Perfect.
Old 15 May 2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Since "Strange Fruit" wound up becoming a hit song, I suppose that one backfired a bit.
Strange Fruit wasn't a Robert Johnson song.

ETA: Unless you mean a different song called Strange Fruit.
Old 15 May 2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Strange Fruit wasn't a Robert Johnson song.

ETA: Unless you mean a different song called Strange Fruit.
In Cowboy Joe's original post he said that it was Billie Holiday's version of Strange Fruit that the WPA recorded.
Old 16 May 2007, 03:15 AM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
In Cowboy Joe's original post he said that it was Billie Holiday's version of Strange Fruit that the WPA recorded.
Yes, I meant Billie Holiday.

Sister "did robert johnson ever have what one would call a hit?" Ray
Old 16 May 2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Communist Robot View Post
I think you may be confusing this with Lead Belly, who was recorded by John and Alan Lomax as part of a project for the Library of Congress. H. C. Speir put Johnson in contact with Ernie Oertle who recorded him. Speir worked for ARC, a record company whose labels included Melotone, Perfect, Oriole, Banner and Vocalion. Most of Johnson's stuff was released on Melotone, Vocalion or Perfect.
You are right and I stand corrected. Been a while since I thought about all of the old rural blues history.

To end any other confusion by my post, I did say Billie Holiday recorded "strange Fruit" but did not mean to imply that that song was part of any WPA or Library of Congress effort. My point was simply that race music not intended for commercial (read white) audiences was allowed to get away with a lot more metaphore than other artists would be allowed to. Much of the early blues would make your mom blush if she understood the references, which weren't all that veiled to begin with. So an artist like Holliday could sing a song about strange fruit which every black listener would understand because it was considered unlikely that white people would hear it. The lyrics about lynching might be grounds for lynching in some quarters.
Old 17 May 2007, 04:37 AM
Bassist

Driver

But who could ignore Aretha Franklin's lyrics to Pink Cadillac??
Goin' ridin' on the freeway of love
Wind's against our back
In my pink cadillac
Wind's against our back
Ain't we ridin' on the freeway of love
In my pink Cadillac?

Never you mind the exit signs
We got lots of time
We can't quit 'til we get
To the other side

With the radio playin' our song
We keep rollin' on
Who knows how far a car can get
Before you think about slowin' on down

City traffic movin' way too slow
Drop the pedal and go...go...go
I've always interpreted these as not really talking about cars and a Sunday afternoon road trip