snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 17 April 2007, 09:52 PM
Valancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleupp View Post
Whenever I hear talk about filthy lyrics and how we must protect our precious widdle children, I remember how naive and stupid I was when I was little. My best friend and I loved Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and it never occurred to us that the later part of the song was about anything but a baseball game. He's rounding the bases...sounded plausible to us, even despite the grunts and moans clearly audible in the background.
LOL- so I'm not the only one who thought it really was a baseball game!

Along the same lines, I totally missed most of the innuendos in the movie Grease when I watched it in grade 5.
Old 17 April 2007, 11:44 PM

Cole Porter could be rather naughty. I think of a few lines from "My Heart Belongs to Daddy":

I may invite
A boy some night
To dine on my fine finnian haddie;
I just adore
When he asks for more,
But my heart belongs to Daddy.....

I never dream
Of "making" the team,
'Cause my heart belongs to Daddy....

So I want to warn you, Laddie,
Though I think you're perfectly swell,
That my heart belongs to Daddy,
'Cause my Daddy treats it so well---
Mmm,
He treats it,
And treats it,
And then he repeats it!
Yes Daddy treats it so well!
Old 18 April 2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave View Post
Agreed. But the filthiest song of that era has to be "Shake Rattle and Roll." There was an unofficial custom back then of "cleaning up" the lyrics to dirty songs like that when white artists covered them. But when super-non-threatening Bill Haley cleaned up the words to "Shake Rattle and Roll," the dirtiest double entendre in the song - "I'm like a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store" - was so well-hidden that he left it in.
And it remained so well-hidden that I never gave it a second thought until now!

Ramblin Dave, you just left me shrieking with laughter and crying "25 years old and I just now get it!"

Quote:
Along the same lines, I totally missed most of the innuendos in the movie Grease when I watched it in grade 5.
Me, too. I was more shocked by a cuss word like "crap" than the sexual innuendo, because most of it went over my head.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:10 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
I remember reading in a newspaper, in like 1976, and there's this article in there about how disgusting rock lyrics are, and they used "Walk This Way" as an example of how lyrics should be nice and wholesome. I couln't believe it. Obviously, they didn't get the meaning of "you ain't seen nothin' till you're down on the muffin."

-Stephen Tyler
from the liner notes of Pandora's Box
Twenty years later, I finally got it.
Old 18 April 2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKboy View Post
Someone was telling me that the song "Do wah diddy" (its on one of the singstar games, which is how I know it mainly) originally had lyrics in the chorus.

Instead of "Do whah diddy, diddy dum diddy dee"

it was "Do what daddy did to mom to get me"

It kind of sort of fits if you slightly slur the words, so its feasible, but I dont know if its true, or simply people assigning obscene meanings to nonsense (like "Louie Louie").
I'd have to say it's definitely the "obscene meanings to nonsense", since the song's first verse goes

There she was just a-walkin' down the street, singin' "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do"
Snappin' her fingers and shufflin' her feet, singin' "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do"
She looked good (looked good), she looked fine (looked fine)
She looked good, she looked fine and I nearly lost my mind

The words don't have any "hidden" meaning; it's just a type of scat singing.
Old 18 April 2007, 09:34 AM

Icon106

Robert Gordon's 'Fire' disturbs me somehow. It's supposed to be a song about love and passion, a girl playing hard-to-get, but it strikes me as being a bit stalker-y, rapist-y, these first verses at least :

I'm drivin' in my car, you turn on the radio
I'm pullin' you close, but you just say no
You say you don't like it, but girl I know you're a liar
'Cause when we kiss, ooh, fire

Late at night, I'm chasin you home
I say I wanna stay, you say you wanna be alone
You say you don't need me, but you can't hide your desire

The rest is less disturbing:

You've had a hold on me right from the start
It felt so good, I couldn't tear it apart
Got my nerves all jumpin', actin' like a fool
'Cause your kisses they burn, but your heart stays cool

Romeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah
Baby, you can bet the love they couldn't deny
Well, now your words say split, but your words they lie

Love the song, though.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiling Fan View Post
Robert Gordon's 'Fire' disturbs me somehow. It's supposed to be a song about love and passion, a girl playing hard-to-get, but it strikes me as being a bit stalker-y, rapist-y, these first verses at least .....

Love the song, though.
It is especially disturbing when you hear Robin Williams sing it in the voice of Elmer Fudd.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
It is especially disturbing when you hear Robin Williams sing it in the voice of Elmer Fudd.
". . .when we kiss. . oo-oo . . fi-wuh. . ."

But I thought the line was "I'm takin' you home," not "I'm chasin' you home." Changes the tone a bit.
Old 18 April 2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceiling Fan View Post
Robert Gordon's 'Fire' disturbs me somehow. It's supposed to be a song about love and passion, a girl playing hard-to-get, but it strikes me as being a bit stalker-y, rapist-y, these first verses at least :

Love the song, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Brad, that's the first thing I think of every single time I hear the song, ever since that Robin Williams video!
Old 20 April 2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
But I thought the line was "I'm takin' you home," not "I'm chasin' you home." Changes the tone a bit.
I'm almost certain it was originally "takin'." Bruce Springsteen wrote it, and "takin'" is definitely more in keeping with his style than "chasin'."
Old 20 April 2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire_Buddha View Post
I always remember the song thanks Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy. There is a bit part in the actual movie, but on the DVD there is a music video where Ron and the news crew are singing it. I can't listen to that song without thinking about it.
In the music video Will Farrell actually says "This song is about noon-time love making...The Naughty kind!!"
Old 24 April 2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I'm almost certain it was originally "takin'." Bruce Springsteen wrote it, and "takin'" is definitely more in keeping with his style than "chasin'."
According to Bruuuce's official site, it's "takin'."
Old 24 April 2007, 03:42 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Agreed. But the filthiest song of that era has to be "Shake Rattle and Roll." There was an unofficial custom back then of "cleaning up" the lyrics to dirty songs like that when white artists covered them. But when super-non-threatening Bill Haley cleaned up the words to "Shake Rattle and Roll," the dirtiest double entendre in the song - "I'm like a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store" - was so well-hidden that he left it in. And in a time when Lucille Ball couldn't say "pregnant" on television, it made the top ten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
And it remained so well-hidden that I never gave it a second thought until now!

Ramblin Dave, you just left me shrieking with laughter and crying "25 years old and I just now get it!"
I still don't get it!
Old 24 April 2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
I'd have to say it's definitely the "obscene meanings to nonsense", since the song's first verse goes

There she was just a-walkin' down the street, singin' "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do"
Snappin' her fingers and shufflin' her feet, singin' "Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do"
She looked good (looked good), she looked fine (looked fine)
She looked good, she looked fine and I nearly lost my mind

The words don't have any "hidden" meaning; it's just a type of scat singing.
But Manfred Mann probably took the lyrics from Bo Diddley's "Diddy Wah Diddy" from 1957 (written by Diddley and Willie Dixon):

Quote:
"She kisses me all the time
She'd gonna drive me out of my mind
[unclear], she says she's ready
Heading right back to diddy wah diddy."

"Ain't no town, ain't no city
But oh how they love in diddy wah diddy."
Nothing blatant, but there seems to be a touch of innuendo.

There's also another song titled "Diddy Wah Diddy," but the lyrics go "I wish I knew what Diddy Wah Diddy" means.
Old 24 April 2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
But Manfred Mann probably took the lyrics from Bo Diddley's "Diddy Wah Diddy" from 1957 (written by Diddley and Willie Dixon):
Nitpick: Manfred Mann took the lyrics from Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry, who wrote "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and recorded it first with their group, The Raindrops. But they may well have been fans of the Bo Diddley song. (Barry and Greenwich also wrote Tommy James' first big hit, "Hanky Panky," which also might be dirty but probably isn't.)
Old 24 April 2007, 11:13 PM

Dirty song lyrics (hidden or not) aside, my favorite hidden dirty words/phrases are from Shakespeare.
Old 25 April 2007, 01:00 AM

Spit Take

I would argue Shakespeare never hid his dirty words. He may have phrased them in many filthy puns, but he wanted people to understand him.

Listening to Robert Johnson the other day, one lyric in a song which I cannot recall the name of had a line about "your juice running down my leg" which I can't believe no one at the time caught.

Sister "was it okay because people assumed no one was listening anyway?" Ray
Old 25 April 2007, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave
Agreed. But the filthiest song of that era has to be "Shake Rattle and Roll." There was an unofficial custom back then of "cleaning up" the lyrics to dirty songs like that when white artists covered them. But when super-non-threatening Bill Haley cleaned up the words to "Shake Rattle and Roll," the dirtiest double entendre in the song - "I'm like a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store" - was so well-hidden that he left it in. And in a time when Lucille Ball couldn't say "pregnant" on television, it made the top ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
I still don't get it!
Okay--the "one-eyed cat" *COULD* refer to a certain part of the male anatomy more often compared to a snake, and the "seafood store" *COULD* refer to the common reference to a certain part of the female anatomy (with its alleged "fishy" smell) or, less specifically, a woman (based on the slang word "fish" for woman, derived from "fishwife").
(Note, my caps and asterisks are intended to emphazise this as only a theory. It really would be just as easy to accept the simile as being completely literal.)
Old 25 April 2007, 01:26 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave

Okay--the "one-eyed cat" *COULD* refer to a certain part of the male anatomy more often compared to a snake, and the "seafood store" *COULD* refer to the common reference to a certain part of the female anatomy (with its alleged "fishy" smell) or, less specifically, a woman (based on the slang word "fish" for woman, derived from "fishwife").
(Note, my caps and asterisks are intended to emphazise this as only a theory. It really would be just as easy to accept the simile as being completely literal.)
No. I think he's singing about an actual wounded, one-eyed stray cat. Poor thing probably hasn't eaten in weeks, so he's peeping in the front window of the local fish market.
Old 25 April 2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Listening to Robert Johnson the other day, one lyric in a song which I cannot recall the name of had a line about "your juice running down my leg" which I can't believe no one at the time caught.
Led Zeppelin's "Lemon Song" had a pretty blatent similar line: "Squueze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg."