snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 24 October 2014, 06:55 PM

Default Several hurt in shooting at Seattle-area high school

As many as six people were injured in a shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Washington state, according to law enforcement sources.

http://kdvr.com/2014/10/24/6-reporte...a-high-school/
Old 24 October 2014, 07:13 PM

And Monday the 27th was going to be long enough since the last mass shooting that it wouldn't be "too soon" to have a frank discussion about guns in American.
Old 24 October 2014, 07:30 PM

This is one town over from us. I just got 2 emails and a phone call form DS's school assuring me that they were all safe.
Old 25 October 2014, 04:16 PM

At least they did not say it was a semi-automatic handgun.

Quote:
The gun used in the shooting has been traced to Fryberg’s father, a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN. It is a “high capacity” one, but did not have an extended magazine, the source said.
Old 25 October 2014, 04:55 PM

I wonder what the reaction would be if cases of ebola showed up in several schools per year and took out a few random students/teachers at a time?

I hate the absolute lack of shock I feel every time I hear of another US school shooting :-(
Old 25 October 2014, 05:38 PM

I know what you mean, quink.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be if cases of ebola showed up in several schools per year and took out a few random students/teachers at a time?

I hate the absolute lack of shock I feel every time I hear of another US school shooting :-(
This is one of those time I wish Snopes had a "Like" button.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:47 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
What do you mean by this?
Old 26 October 2014, 02:51 AM

Almost every time you hear about a school shooting with a hand gun the news adds the word "semi-automatic" in front of it. Though they did make sure the words "high capacity" and "extended magazine" were associated with the weapon even if not used in the shooting.
Old 26 October 2014, 08:17 AM

I don't get that complaint. If it's a semi-automatic what's wrong with reporting that?
Old 26 October 2014, 08:45 AM

The most important thing in any story about a shooting is to not make guns seem bad.
Old 26 October 2014, 12:38 PM

Icon05

The gun shops call them semi-automatic. The ads do too. So do the magazines and gun clubs. When news reporters use the same word, apparently it has some nefarious meaning.
Old 26 October 2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
Agreed. Sadly it's the result of allowing the NRA to repeatedly claim that such mayhem is the 'price' Americans have to pay for their freedom.
Old 26 October 2014, 02:29 PM

My complaint is not that they did not attach semi-automatic to the hand gun as commonly done. It is that the news is attaching the words "high capacity" and "extended magazine" to the hand gun even though they had nothing to do with the shooting.
Old 26 October 2014, 04:59 PM

They said it didn't have an extended magazine. And at least one student reported taking the opportunity when the shooter was reloading to run away. The capacity of the weapon is relevant to the shooting.

Last edited by erwins; 26 October 2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 26 October 2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Almost every time you hear about a school shooting with a hand gun the news adds the word "semi-automatic" in front of it. Though they did make sure the words "high capacity" and "extended magazine" were associated with the weapon even if not used in the shooting.
Your complaint is that someone correctly described the gun in a quote for an article?

And the quote only uses "extended magazine" to point out that the gun didn't have one. Some association there.
Old 27 October 2014, 01:15 AM

Why point out a gun that can use a magazine did not did not have a specially purchased extended magazine if it did not normally come with one. There is no reason to even mention that it is possible to buy a extended magazines for handguns that use magazines. Then it is worded to make it sound like this handgun is special because you could buy the extended magazine. So the way I see it, is that there was no reason even to mention the possibility of having used the specialty magazine unless they were trying to create an association between the two, even if it was not used.
Old 27 October 2014, 01:36 AM

Baseball

I've frequently seen reporters, especially giving live reports, that seem to want to throw in any fact about something technical they know. I've seen them describe howitzers as "essentially cannons that shoot bombs many miles to explode, hopefully, on the enemy".**

I can see some reporters using the "extended magazine" or "semi-automatic" terms because that is all they have in their box of understanding about the issues surrounding weapons. Even if they are not relative.

**I took the public affairs course in '99 and we had video tapes of many examples of reporters getting technical information wrong. This one jumped out at me because I am artillery. The reporter could have stopped at a howitzer is essentially a cannon (technically correct). I think everyone has an idea of what a cannon does. Ensuring reporters get the technical information right is what our public affairs people do well.
Old 27 October 2014, 01:50 AM

But in this case it's a reporter who's quoting a law enforcement source who presumably did have knowledge about weapons in general.
Old 27 October 2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
My complaint is not that they did not attach semi-automatic to the hand gun as commonly done.
Then your comment seems to make even less sense:
Quote:
This implies that there would be something wrong with using that term and you certainly seemed to confirm it when you said this:
Quote:
Almost every time you hear about a school shooting with a hand gun the news adds the word "semi-automatic" in front of it.