snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 07 June 2018, 10:32 AM

Default Teenager pleads guilty to falsifying rape claims against football players

This kind of case never ends well...

Quote:
A 19-year-old woman from New York has revealed that she lied about an alleged rape that was reported in 2016.

Appearing in court on Tuesday June 5, Nikki Yovino plead guilty to charges of falsely reporting an incident and interfering with police, The Connecticut Post reports.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world...ers/ar-AAyk5YU

Aside from what happened to the two individuals accused, cases like this can unfairly discredit those with legitimate accusations.
Old 07 June 2018, 01:02 PM

She got out way too easy.

OY
Old 08 June 2018, 01:38 AM

Mouse

Sometimes burglaries turn out to be related to insurance scams, but no one uses that as a knee-jerk reason to automatically dismiss burglaries.

I read the blurb, but I thought I'd ask some of my wiser Snopesters as to what will likely happen to Liar as a result of these charges. How much jail time will she face and under what circumstances (minimum security, medium security, etc.) or is this one of those things where she gets a suspended sentence or community service? I'm not suggesting we be all "Off with her head!" about this; I'm just curious.
Old 08 June 2018, 05:13 AM

I'm curious if there's evidence that she lied, besides her recantation.

https://www.propublica.org/article/f...lievable-story

Very long, but worth reading all the way through. Won a Pulitzer.
Old 08 June 2018, 05:46 AM

IIRC, isn't it pretty common for rape victims to say that going to the police is as bad or even worse thn the actual rape?
Old 08 June 2018, 05:54 AM

I'm not sure there could be much evidence that she lied as there wasn't much evidence of a rape. The men say they had consentual sex so any physical evidence like semen or skin cells would not be useful. About all that would he left would be testimony.

This report talks about explicit texts between Yovino and the men she accused and says there is video of the encounter. But it also talks about witnesses that corroborated her accusation of rape. The texts could be because it was consentual or could be reaction to the rape. So nothing either way. She certainly could be recounting due to coercion, but I don't think we could know.

http://abc7ny.com/news/woman-charged...-rape/1767775/