snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 24 May 2018, 05:35 PM

Chicken Trump Pulls Out of North Korea Summit Meeting with Kim Jong-un

President Trump has notified Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader, that he has canceled their much-anticipated meeting to discuss steps toward denuclearization and peace because of recent “tremendous anger and open hostility” by Pyongyang toward members of his administration.

In a letter dated Thursday to Mr. Kim, the American president left open the possibility that the two could meet in the future. But hours later, Mr. Trump warned that the United States and its allies are prepared to respond should “foolish or reckless acts be taken by North Korea.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/w...mp-summit.html

Well I guess this means no Nobel Prize for the Trumpster. We'll be lucky if he doesn't manage to get the war he seems to so desperately want.
Old 24 May 2018, 11:20 PM

To the surprise of no one.

Really, it was just another blunder of his to start the talks. The reason there have never been any prior talks was because the US hasn't had anything to gain, and holding them legitimizes the NK regime, which runs counter to Us foreign policy regarding NK.
Old 24 May 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
... which runs counter to Us foreign policy regarding NK.
I'm pretty sure that under the Turnip the US has no foreign policy regarding NK.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:18 AM

We have one, but only while Fox and Friends is on.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:41 AM

I've never read the Art of the Deal. I'm assuming it advises to start fights you have no reason to start and no way to win (you can always quit and claim you did), give your adversaries everything they want before you quit the game, and become a pawn in the geopolitical opposition if you think you have a chance to do a business deal on yet another hideous hotel.
Old 25 May 2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I've never read the Art of the Deal.
We don't know that Trump has either.

According to this report, one of the reasons Trump cancelled the summit was because he believed Kim might cancel first.

Last edited by GenYus234; 25 May 2018 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Missing word
Old 25 May 2018, 05:26 AM

They may have. That would have made little difference. Once they got a place at the table with no concessions whatsoever, they already had everything they wanted from a confidence game they've been playing for decades but which no one had yet taken the bait.
Old 25 May 2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I've never read the Art of the Deal. I'm assuming it advises to start fights you have no reason to start and no way to win (you can always quit and claim you did), give your adversaries everything they want before you quit the game, and become a pawn in the geopolitical opposition if you think you have a chance to do a business deal on yet another hideous hotel.
And also send them letters saying that your phallic long-range weapon is bigger than their phallic long-range weapon.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:20 PM

I heard he pulled out because they insulted his buddy, Mike...

https://politics.theonion.com/other-...pes-1826305704

This gives lots of people hope of avoiding talking to Trump!

Old 25 May 2018, 03:49 PM

Apparently it's back on again now, thus showing that Trump was carrying out a masterly stroke of diplomatic genius as part of his careful and detailed plan for world peace, or something:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ummit-reversal
Old 25 May 2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Apparently it's back on again now, thus showing that Trump was carrying out a masterly stroke of diplomatic genius as part of his careful and detailed plan for world peace, or something:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ummit-reversal
"could be back on"
Old 28 May 2018, 06:09 AM

On the "Tagesschau" (important German tv news show) website, they were reporting about the commemorative coin the White House apparently has minted whether the summit happens or not. Several commentors complaint that they, too, did not meet with President Trump, and where was their commemorative coin? One suggested the White House should set up a website that lets you upload your profile picture, choose a flag and a title, and have your very own non-summit coin posted to you.

Old 28 May 2018, 01:18 PM

I suppose it's faintly possible that North and South Korea will unite over their joint sheer frustration with Trump.

Before Trump decides this would be a great thing to claim credit for: while it might, depending on how it worked out, be good for the people in Korea, I suspect it wouldn't work out well for the USA. We would then have a united Korea -- a united nuclear-armed Korea, united in its fury at the US. I doubt they'd nuke us, but they might be in a good position to further mess up what influence we've got left in the area, including on trade issues.

-- and no, I don't think it's actually going to happen. I don't see Kim agreeing to give up his position; and I don't see South Korea agreeing to join in with what North Korea's apparently turned into in order to allow him to keep it. Maybe they'll get another visit for divided families out of it while a few of the people concerned are still alive.
Old 06 June 2018, 11:40 PM

Giuliani: Kim Jong-un 'begged' for summit to take place

Quote:
Well, Kim Jong-un got back on his hands and knees and begged for it, which is exactly the position you want to put him in.
Shut up! Seriously, has Giuliani taken a short position on people?
Old 07 June 2018, 01:54 AM

I believe at this point, Trump's team is trying to provoke a war.
Old 07 June 2018, 02:57 PM

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't know that Giuliani is following the gameplan* of Team Trump either. I think he's following the gameplan** of a plethora of meth-addicted hamsters who are pulling random levers that tell him what to say.

I do have to admit that Giuliani has done one thing that I would have said was impossible. He has revealed that there is someone less stable than Trump.

* Such as it is.
** Such as it is.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:23 PM

I believe that Giuliani is doing exactly what he was hired to do, sow confusion and muddy the waters. I fear he is doing this very well.
Old 07 June 2018, 03:58 PM

Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I believe at this point, Trump's team is trying to provoke a war.
If this was anyone other than Trump, I'd disagree because of the threat of nukes. But Trump seems to have an nightmare obsession with the idea of a nuclear holocaust - a real Eddie Albert in Dreamscape fixation. Even if he doesn't really want one, he may think it's a viable option to "losing". He may also be tempted by the jolly candylike button on the football.
Old 07 June 2018, 04:41 PM

I really don't have anything to add, except I just now noticed the chicken message icon. Well played.

As you were...
Old 07 June 2018, 05:14 PM

Icon106

There last time there was this much public squabbling over a relationship, we got the 1977 album of the year: Rumors.

Dawn-chains keep us together--Storm