snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 30 April 2018, 02:30 AM

So the sequence of events was:
1) you fell down the stairs and broke your leg, but the break wasn't immediately obvious
2) you went to the hospital and they did nothing
3) you went to the hospital several more times complaining of pain and still they did nothing
4) the bone started poking out
5) you called 911, and police showed up even though you reported an accident (is this the same police department whose officer you previously reported?)
6) you were taken to the hospital and your husband was arrested
7) a month later, you were able to get the charges dismissed
8) you had further surgeries on your leg
Is that correct?
And at some point-- in 2 or 3 or 8? You signed a liability release for the hospital. Those aren’t necessarily airtight in the situation you describe, but you have at least two personal injury/medical malpractice attorneys "sniffing around," so presumably you know where to inquire further about that. And at some point before this happened, you acquired some bruises playing sports that were still visible when 5-6 happened, but which didn't raise alarms at the hospital in 2-3? Was this a different hospital than the one you went to when your dog bit you and the doctor told you if you didn't leave your husband you'd be dead by 40?

I feel like I'm missing something.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:16 AM

A bit over ten years ago, my youngest daughter fell while skateboarding, and some pain, but the next morning she was complaining the arm hurt.

We went to a clinic, had the arm xrayed - it was a greenstick fracture. They wrapped it up and she is now fine.

They didn't seem to hesitate a bit when we told them what happened. Xray was relatively cheap and showed the problem as soon as the film was developed.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:30 AM

Missing something indeed. As with the previous events, with every telling, essential (and at least worrisome if not downright alarming) details are added. Yet it still feels like there are important parts missing. Whatever help it is you need to get out of these situations, Plurabelle, I hope you get it yesterday.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:44 AM

Now that I think about it, I've never heard of anyone lying about breaking a bone in order to get narcotics. If the doctors suspected someone of this wouldn't an x-ray be exactly what they would order? Rather than refusing the x-ray and patient?

Also what liability wavier do you sign when they don't treat you?
Old 14 May 2018, 06:26 PM

The issue is that I'm an alcoholic and well-known to our local ER. When they see me, I'm typically in withdrawal and having seizures. A lot of the nurses refuse to treat me because I'm an abomination and have withheld treatment on their own prerogative and so I had to call the doctors and then all hell broke loose (which is my own fault, going to a religious hospital, but it's the closest). I have had seizures while a nurse screamed "that's what you get!" Granted, she was fired, but I still blame them for letting it happen...

When I went to them initially and said I thought my leg was broken, they said "sure, whatever, drunko." They gave me some advil and sent me home.

I wasn't even drunk, but my history preceded me.

Which is why everyone ignored me and thought I was playing for painkillers.

I don't like painkillers, and I REALLY don't want to become addicted to them. But I will ask for them when I need them, and my orthopedist is kind enough to write me 2-3 day RXs, so we can chat briefly if I need a refill. Which I really havent. Just right after surgery or the bone adjustments.
Old 14 May 2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
So the sequence of events was:
1) you fell down the stairs and broke your leg, but the break wasn't immediately obvious
2) you went to the hospital and they did nothing
3) you went to the hospital several more times complaining of pain and still they did nothing
4) the bone started poking out
5) you called 911, and police showed up even though you reported an accident (is this the same police department whose officer you previously reported?)
6) you were taken to the hospital and your husband was arrested
7) a month later, you were able to get the charges dismissed
8) you had further surgeries on your leg
Is that correct?
And at some point-- in 2 or 3 or 8? You signed a liability release for the hospital. Those aren’t necessarily airtight in the situation you describe, but you have at least two personal injury/medical malpractice attorneys "sniffing around," so presumably you know where to inquire further about that. And at some point before this happened, you acquired some bruises playing sports that were still visible when 5-6 happened, but which didn't raise alarms at the hospital in 2-3? Was this a different hospital than the one you went to when your dog bit you and the doctor told you if you didn't leave your husband you'd be dead by 40?

I feel like I'm missing something.
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No, I didn't go several more times - just the once, and then once the bone poked out, I apologize if I said that/implied that.
4. yes
5. Yes & yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes

I did start seeking out a different hospital (which has worked well). Right now I am covered in bruises and bad scratches because I'm a fricking moron and bought myself a cake where the third ingredient was coconut oil - and I'm anaphylactic allergic to coconut - so I was flipping out a couple of days ago, tearing my skin apart from the itch, seizing up, and I thought it was my damn cat - but my husband showed up at the hospital with his tail between his legs saying "Jess's birthday cake was mostly coconut oil."

Last edited by Plurabelle; 14 May 2018 at 06:41 PM.