snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 April 2018, 08:37 PM

Default Sean Hannity is the client whose identity Michael Cohen wanted kept secret

President Donald Trump's personal attorney has been forced to reveal that one of his clients is Fox News host Sean Hannity, CBS News' Jeff Pegues confirmed Monday. Lawyers for Michael Cohen argued in court on Monday that they could not identify Hannity because he asked that his name not be disclosed in connection with an FBI seizure of Cohen's files. But Judge Kimba Wood made one of the lawyers identify him in open court.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-ha...d-kept-secret/
Old 16 April 2018, 10:38 PM

Baseball

That is a plot twist I would never have envisioned.

Wow, the lynchpin is Cohen.
Old 16 April 2018, 11:03 PM

What plot twist? Or, how is it a plot twist?
Old 17 April 2018, 01:47 AM

Amazing plot twist. It's like in Star Wars when you find out Vader is actually on the Dark Side. And Luke is all like "Nooooooooooo!"
Old 17 April 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Amazing plot twist. It's like in Star Wars when you find out Vader is actually on the Dark Side. And Luke is all like "Nooooooooooo!"
Um, spoilers alert please?

Yeah, it is not that surprising that the totally innocent person who just asked legal questions, and considered himself a client totally protected by client-lawyer protections, and never paid any money to the lawyer, was a Fox person.

It is surprising to me that Cohen apparently just had three clients. Don't most have a LOT more clients, unless they are on someone's full-time staff?
Old 17 April 2018, 02:32 PM

I don't understand why it was legally necessary to disclose Cohen's other clients. Yes, there is a conflict of interest with regards to Hannity, but AFAIK, that's an ethical matter, there is no legal requirement for a pundit to disclose a relationship like that. Yes, the independent legal team needs to separate the documents that pertain to Trump from the ones that don't, but why wouldn't that happen during the separation process? And yes, the existence of an attorney-client relationship isn't itself protected but not protected doesn't mean it has to be published.
Old 17 April 2018, 02:41 PM

Cohen and his lawyers where trying to argue that some nature of his clients and business would prevent the normal independent team from reviewing the documents and that Cohen's and Trump's lawyers should have the first pass to filter the documents.

The CNN article I read this morning indicated that the judge was willing to let Cohen answer be sealed, but his lawyer went ahead and named Hannity in open court.
Old 17 April 2018, 03:21 PM

GenYus, why do you think it would be a conflict of interest for Cohen?

ETA: Oh, never mind. The conflict is for Hannity, who did not disclose his relationship, but criticized the raid.

Last edited by erwins; 17 April 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 17 April 2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post

ETA: Oh, never mind. The conflict is for Hannity, who did not disclose his relationship, but criticized the raid.
There's a slime aspect that I cannot ignore. I can't put my finger on it though.
Maybe it's because I pundits--regardless of bias--as people who should discuss issues, but not be afraid to say something like 'while I normally agree with So-and-So, I have to call him out on this issue--I think his position is wrong.' And then of course explain why the pundit thinks So-and-So is wrong. Maybe it's what DH says about the yes-man is your enemy, but your friend will argue with you.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 17 April 2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 17 April 2018, 06:31 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
What plot twist? Or, how is it a plot twist?
That the loudest spokesperson for Trump outside his actual administration has a legal linkage to him through a shady fixer.

As it was stated by a pundit today "you try to put that in a screenplay or manuscript, it would get tossed for being too unbelievable."

I always viewed Hannity as a contrarian to the Democratic Party, much like Limbaugh. I never expected him to be legally intertwined in the GOP so much (and I know it is an allegation of him being a client, but with Cohen's history and client base, there will be more).
Old 17 April 2018, 08:16 PM

I was surprised when mentioning this development to someone that they had no idea who Sean Hannity is. I'm jealous that they've managed to avoid knowing about this slimy little man.