snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 June 2018, 03:49 AM

La Croix isn't unpleasant, just bland. It's club soda with 1ppm flavor. I actually kind of like it, because I like unflavored and very lightly flavored sparkling water.
Old 02 June 2018, 08:14 AM

Whalephant

We got a new Swingline stapler for the front desk. It's white and looks so completely wrong it practically gives me the creeps.
Old 02 June 2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you for being a patron of the Dallas Morning News. Unfortunately, our site is unavailable to European Union visitors while we work with our partners to ensure your data is protected. We're committed to serving our communities and are eager to become technically compliant to provide award-winning journalism to all of our readers.
It seems that the Seattle PI is not the only newspaper who isn't ready for GDPR.

I keep running into different versions of this. I don't have the option of clicking, "I understand and I waive my rights" or something similar. It's almost like I'm not able to choose what I see.
Old 02 June 2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I always have a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. So today I bought the ingredients to make dinner on the assumption that I already had chicken in the freezer. I just went to make dinner, and there in fact was not any chicken in the freezer. Now I don't know what I'm going to have for dinner.
I did have chicken (drumsticks) in the freezer but I took it out a couple of days ago so that I could make a sort of Thai-style chicken soup / curry, intending to make it the next night so there was time for the chicken to thaw. But for various reasons I haven't made it yet, and I can't refreeze the chicken, and I don't know how long it will keep now that it's thawed...!

It's only been two or three days and it's in the fridge so it should still be fine yet but I'm not sure I can be bothered to cook it tonight either!
Old 02 June 2018, 05:56 PM

France

Thursday evening, I was a victim of the big Visa card european breakdown.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/1/17...network-outage

Thankfully, it was nothing important (just a magazine and a few snacks and beverages), but two of my colleagues couldn't get gas in their car. Let's hope whatever caused that breakdown has since been found and repaired.
Old 03 June 2018, 08:55 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I always have a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. So today I bought the ingredients to make dinner on the assumption that I already had chicken in the freezer. I just went to make dinner, and there in fact was not any chicken in the freezer. Now I don't know what I'm going to have for dinner.
Not that I am accusing anyone, but... have you asked Nelson what he knows about your missing chicken?
Old 03 June 2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Not that I am accusing anyone, but... have you asked Nelson what he knows about your missing chicken?
I tried giving him chicken giblets once. He was just like "What's this strange food you're trying to feed me?" So I don't think he would be interested in the chicken.
Old 04 June 2018, 02:07 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I don't have the option of clicking, "I understand and I waive my rights" or something similar. It's almost like I'm not able to choose what I see.
From my understanding of European privacy laws (which may be horribly inaccurate), the waivers have to be very specific, and carefully applied. It wouldn't surprise me if most websites don't have the appropriate waiver prepared in advance.

Seaboe
Old 05 June 2018, 10:35 PM

I bought some Trader Joe's white truffle flavored potato chips as a snack for at work. I just tried one, and I do not like them at all. The truffle flavor is extremely strong and completely overpowers everything else.
Old 06 June 2018, 02:30 PM

Glasses

Even the garlic?

Seaboe
Old 07 June 2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
It seems that the Seattle PI is not the only newspaper who isn't ready for GDPR.

I keep running into different versions of this. I don't have the option of clicking, "I understand and I waive my rights" or something similar. It's almost like I'm not able to choose what I see.
So that's what the disclaimer on the local news-talk site is all about!
It says:
This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.
Old 07 June 2018, 06:07 PM

Bang Head

The bath chairs/stools that disabled people use while showering do not last long at all. DH needs to get another one, and this time I'll look on Amazon for one that lasts longer than three months. The FWP? The durable ones cost twice as much as the cheap ones with the aluminum legs.
Old 07 June 2018, 06:33 PM

Still a bargain if they last for more than twice as long.
Old 07 June 2018, 07:08 PM

That's the Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice.
Old 11 June 2018, 10:36 PM

CBS News has a slideshow on their website of the 12 US states that have volcanoes. I know it's click baity, but I clicked it out of curiosity (which I suppose is exactly what click bait is supposed to make you do). There seems to be something wrong with their slideshow -- when I click the arrow to go to the next entry the picture changes but the caption stays the same. I tried it in multiple browsers. So all I know is that Wyoming is #12 on the list.
Old 11 June 2018, 10:51 PM

Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska.

Which is to say, it worked fine for me.
Old 11 June 2018, 11:04 PM

It appears to be fixed, as it is working fine for me now, too.

ETA: Well it was for a brief moment. Now it's back to being stuck on Wyoming again. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I'm browsing from work. It seems like the company's web filtering software sometimes makes sites behave strangely.

ETA2: New FWP: I can overhear two coworkers talking about Solo in the conference room near my cube. I was planning on seeing it this weekend. I don't want to hear any spoilers.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 11 June 2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12 June 2018, 08:25 PM

My old laptop power supply finally failed so I got a new one. The new one (as is usual now) doesn't have a disk player, but that doesn't matter as nothing comes on disk these days anyway.

Today I thought I'd get round to copying some of my files and photos from my backup drive to the new PC, and also my iTunes library. I happened to go into town so I bought a couple of new CDs for the first time in ages, thinking I'd add those at the same time.

So of course, I went to the new computer to try to rip the CD and... of course, no disk player... I can't get anything new onto my iPod!
Old 13 June 2018, 12:54 PM

D'oh!

I accidentally cut the power cord with the hedge trimmer last evening, so now I have to get a new one. Nice going Dawn!
Not only that, but before I do any more yard work, I have to go downstairs and turn the outdoor circuit back on.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:54 PM

If you're getting an entire new hedge trimmer, not just a new cord, let me just drop in here that in at least some makes battery-powered tools are a LOT better than they used to be.

And no cord to cut through.