snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 29 March 2018, 02:23 PM

Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I am guessing that unfortunately, it has nothing to do with being really into Nerf.
You've mixed it up with a scruffy Terf herder.

FWP: I had to put cash in a drink vending machine because my phone wasn't smart enough.
Old 29 March 2018, 03:47 PM

Icon102

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to use a comma in a paragraph on a draft for a work brochure. See my thread in the SLC.
Old 05 April 2018, 09:12 PM

We're predicted to get some very heavy rains tomorrow and Saturday, both of which are my days off (I work a 9/80 schedule, so I get every other Friday off in addition to the normal weekend). I wanted to do a DIY oil change on my car sometime this weekend, and if Sunday will be the only sunny day that will be the only day I can do it. But I had other outdoor things I wanted to do on Sunday, and I don't want to have to try to squeeze both into one day. I can't do the oil change in the garage because the floor is too smooth -- when I try to drive the car up on ramps so I can work under it the car just pushes them across the floor rather than driving up them.
Old 05 April 2018, 09:33 PM

That seems like a problem in need of an engineering solution. Rubber mat under the ramps? Drive car partway into garage and try to wedge ramps under tires, then drive up them? Couple of bags of kitty litter behind each ramp, possibly on top of rubber mat or other grippy thing?
Old 06 April 2018, 05:15 PM

A common solution is to put the ramps on a scrap (or two) of carpet or use door mats. The mat should extend in front of the ramp so the wheel goes on the mat then the ramp on the mat.

You can also use the car jack to lift one side, shove the ramp under that wheel then do the other side.
Old 06 April 2018, 05:16 PM

Also, if you go really fast you can usually get the car up the ramps.
Old 06 April 2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
A common solution is to put the ramps on a scrap (or two) of carpet or use door mats. The mat should extend in front of the ramp so the wheel goes on the mat then the ramp on the mat.

You can also use the car jack to lift one side, shove the ramp under that wheel then do the other side.
Do NOT use 4 jacks to raise the car. You might get a nasty surprise.
Old 06 April 2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Do NOT use 4 jacks to raise the car. You might get a nasty surprise.
Who has four jacks? (Well I do, but i'm weird.)
Old 06 April 2018, 07:17 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Also, if you go really fast you can usually get the car up the ramps.
For a split-second before going over the ramps and through the back wall of the garage?

Seaboe
Old 07 April 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
We're predicted to get some very heavy rains tomorrow and Saturday, both of which are my days off (I work a 9/80 schedule, so I get every other Friday off in addition to the normal weekend). I wanted to do a DIY oil change on my car sometime this weekend, and if Sunday will be the only sunny day that will be the only day I can do it.
So the rain let up sooner than predicted and I was able to do it outside in the driveway today, so that turned out to be a non-problem. But a new problem arose. I also wanted to change the fluid in the transmission*. So when I bought the oil change supplies I also bought 2 quarts of gear oil and a fluid pump, which I thought was everything I needed. But as it turns out the plug to drain the transmission oil requires a 24mm socket, which is bigger than the biggest socket in my set. So now I have to wait and do that another day when I can buy the right sized socket. It would have been so much more convenient if I could have done at the same time I was changing the oil.

*I'm not sure if that's ever been done on this car before, and sometimes it grinds a bit when shifting into 3rd. This apparently is not an uncommon problem with Toyota manual transmissions from the looks of some Toyota forums, and some claim they've had success with simply changing the fluid. I figure it can't hurt anyway.
Old 08 April 2018, 06:53 PM

I need to buy new bedsheets, but I'm so particular about the way fabric feels, that I'm having a hard time finding ones I can tolerate. In college I had a set of cotton "t-shirt" sheets, the original ones marketed in the late 90's, which were the most comfortable sheets I've ever owned. However, they eventually wore out after many years and needed replacing. But since then I've never been able to find t-shirt sheets of the same quality -- they're all poorly sized, easily pilled, haphazardly sewn, cheaply made crap.

I'm very much Goldilocks when it comes to bedsheets: most are too stiff, too hot, too slippery, too scratchy, etc., but that original set of t-shirt sheets was just right, and I'm afraid I'll never find ones that feel the same again.
Old 08 April 2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
So do I but then I have 6 cars, all of which run except 1.
Old 08 April 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I'm very much Goldilocks when it comes to bedsheets: most are too stiff, too hot, too slippery, too scratchy, etc., but that original set of t-shirt sheets was just right, and I'm afraid I'll never find ones that feel the same again.
I'm picky, too. FWIW, if you happen to remember a brand that's too stiff, I'd probably love it.
Old 09 April 2018, 02:39 AM

Mouse

Mothereffin’ charging cords. Even though I don’t use Apple’s super awful kind, they still break down entirely too much. I assume the shittiness of the product is by design.
Old 09 April 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
So do I but then I have 6 cars, all of which run except 1.
My dad had 4, because he planned on installing them on his old trailer, so he could stabilize it. He decided to use them to raise the car to change the tires before installing them. He never did get to install them, as he no longer had 4 jacks after.
Old 09 April 2018, 01:46 PM

I was afraid the last half of that last sentence was going to be a lot worse than it was.
Old 09 April 2018, 03:03 PM

Every button on my new range his labeled with words, except the light which is a symbol. For some reason this makes it hard for me to find the light button.
Old 09 April 2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I was afraid the last half of that last sentence was going to be a lot worse than it was.
Only because, even after removing all bolts, some of the tires still would not come off, so he decided to apply some blunt force to the reluctant tire with a sledgehammer.

As you probably expected, the jacks collapsed, but my dad was at arm-swinging distance and did not get crushed.
Old 09 April 2018, 05:13 PM

Two good reasons why g-you should loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the vehicle.
Old 09 April 2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Two good reasons why g-you should loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the vehicle.
But in the case Alarm describes the problem wasn't the lug nuts, and whether they were loosened before or after jacking up the vehicle wouldn't have made any difference.

The proper way to release a frozen wheel is to first, in a safe setting, jack up the single wheel then kick the tire once or twice. (Be aware that the car may well fall off the jack, so one or two lug nuts should be in place though loosened, to hold the tire.) If that doesn't work, put the lug nuts back on but loosened a turn or so, then put the car back on the ground. That will often pop the wheel loose. If that doesn't work, then roll the car forward and back a few feet to see if that will do it. If none of that works, saturate the entire vicinity with liquid wrench and go have a beer.

As others have posted, it is not a good idea to use four jacks and then kick or bang any part of the car. Even four jack stands are risky if you are vigorously shaking the car.