snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 October 2017, 12:19 PM

Default Personal belief: PJW is both wrong and genius at the same time

And nobody realises how utterly played they are. Not even him.

Here's his latest piece of half-baked opinion probably mixed with outright lies and misrepresentation (complete with the use of the word "autistic" as an insult, because I'm a triggered libtard cuckflake or whatever):

Old 26 October 2017, 01:19 PM

Having briefly looked up PJW: I suspect I don't want to give that site a hit.
Old 26 October 2017, 01:27 PM

Jaded

You had me at conspiracy theorist--no thanks. Maybe when I get home I'll watch him along with DH. We'll be sure to be sitting down.
Old 26 October 2017, 01:58 PM

I could have happily gone forward with my life never having heard of this creep .
Old 26 October 2017, 04:02 PM

Here is a rather skilled deconstruction of another video he posted (in which he claimed women sucked at sports).
Old 26 October 2017, 04:07 PM

I think we define "genius" differently.
Old 26 October 2017, 04:08 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Here is a rather skilled deconstruction of another video he posted (in which he claimed women sucked at sports).
Hey, I don't know him from Adam! I don't remember going to junior high school with him!

Dawn--phys ed phailure-Storm
Old 26 October 2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I think we define "genius" differently.
I'm going more for "he works both sides to his advantage".

Another video concerns a tweet he made concerning British history. He used a lack of context to say that the people calling him wrong were idiots.
Old 26 October 2017, 08:42 PM

Here's the exchange in question there.
Old 27 October 2017, 12:08 AM

Mouse

Probably not going to watch his stuff. I don't possibly know what PJW can offer that's different from any of the other alt-Right, Neo-Nazi shitstains out there. With any luck, maybe the alt-Right will oversaturate their own market and collapse under their own shittiness. Trouble is, they'll take a lot of people with them as well.

The Nib published an interesting political cartoon. It talks about how bullies would draw swastikas all over her and her Jewish girlfriend's things and whenever called on it, said, "It was just a joke." They kept playing that joke all the way through graduation and now...well, let's just say it's no longer a joke to him anymore.

I just thought it was interesting, is all. We're in the mess we're in right now, because we got complacent, allowed ourselves to believe that Racism, Sexism, and just about any instutionalized -ism, had been safely resolved, so we didn't have to worry about them anymore. In being so willfully blind, we allowed those alt-right shitstains to germinate and spread their awful awful beliefs.
Old 27 October 2017, 12:42 AM

"It's a joke" is relying on the idea that if your intentions were supposedly good, it should excuse the outcome, which is BS. If you say "I'm sorry, it was just a joke. I didn't realize how serious the subject was for you and I won't do it again," then maybe they deserve to be let off. But mostly it's just trotted out as some sort of get out of trouble free card with a disingenuous "I'm sorry you were offended."
Old 27 October 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
He used a lack of context to say that the people calling him wrong were idiots.
Unfortunately, that's a pretty common thing to do.

Why do you think he's a genius? I'm confused. (And I'm still not going to watch him, though I watched part of the video you posted as a deconstruction.)
Old 27 October 2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Unfortunately, that's a pretty common thing to do.

Why do you think he's a genius? I'm confused. (And I'm still not going to watch him, though I watched part of the video you posted as a deconstruction.)
Maybe "genius" is overstating it, but he seems to have a better sense of his audience than, say, Carlgon of Swinkad (who failed so hard he ended up saying that surveys were worse than surveys. I'm sure it'll pop up in your YT feeds now.)
Old 27 October 2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it'll pop up in your YT feeds now.)
It might, if I had such a thing. But that sounds like a good reason not to.
Old 28 October 2017, 02:12 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
"It's a joke" is relying on the idea that if your intentions were supposedly good, it should excuse the outcome, which is BS. If you say "I'm sorry, it was just a joke. I didn't realize how serious the subject was for you and I won't do it again," then maybe they deserve to be let off. But mostly it's just trotted out as some sort of get out of trouble free card with a disingenuous "I'm sorry you were offended."
Yeah, I keep wondering if this logical fallacy has been given a specific name, beyond the general title of "Being an Asshole." Maybe there are legitimate examples of people overreacting to a joke, but too often, like you said, "I was only kidding" is the crutch of an asshole who made an assholish statement, but doesn't want to own up to it. It usually turns up in discussions like this:

Person X: I hope Person Y gets raped, tortured, and left in a ditch to die.

Person Z: You're a horrible person and you're being horrible!

Person X: I was only kidding! God, why do you have to be so sensitive about everything.

Also humor is subjective. You may legitimately believe that you have created the funniest joke ever, someone else's tastes may be different and as a result, they'll be like "Dude, not funny." Maybe they have a legitimate point, maybe they spent too much time sniffing paint fumes, but the point remains.
Old 28 October 2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It might, if I had such a thing. But that sounds like a good reason not to.
Here's the video (I should note, however, that Hbomberguy, when he's not making these rather amusing videos, has a somewhat worrying extreme left political view. That view is not at all apparent in his YouTube output. Also, it's the best way to experience the very not-awesome "Alt-Right Dogs" video). (Note: The Garrett video referenced is no longer online. He's probably been replaced by the likes of Thom Avella and "Shaun", the latter of whom I linked earlier in the thread)

Here is another video (from Shaun), showcasing a different example of Carl's attention span.

And here is an episode of Knightmare. After deconstructing all that crap that us libtarded cuckflake (is that a word?) SJW types find distasteful, you'll probably need it.
Old 28 October 2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks -- but actually I'm not going to watch a lot of videos about this; or probably any videos about this.

I can read an article a whole lot faster than reading a video; though I don't want to give annoying people hits on their sites for articles, either.
Old 29 October 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:

I can read an article a whole lot faster than reading a video; though I don't want to give annoying people hits on their sites for articles, either.
Luckily for that, there is archive.is.

(And yes, the article is so very wrong)
Old 29 October 2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
We're in the mess we're in right now, because we got complacent, allowed ourselves to believe that Racism, Sexism, and just about any instutionalized -ism, had been safely resolved, so we didn't have to worry about them anymore. In being so willfully blind, we allowed those alt-right shitstains to germinate and spread their awful awful beliefs.
I sure didn't think those -isms had been "safely resolved."
Old 29 October 2017, 05:05 PM

Mouse, what would you have had us doing differently to prevent the alt-right from germinating and spreading, had we not been so complacent or willfully blind?