snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 01 June 2017, 12:57 PM

Default It was 50 years ago today . . .

Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play!

http://classicalwcrb.org/post/it-was...today#stream/0

Brings back a lot of memories for me, like being at my cousins' house listening to it.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 01 June 2017, 01:04 PM

One of my favourite albums. I have it on CD now (the vinyl long since gone the way of most vinyl at least IME). 50 years? Wow.
Old 01 June 2017, 01:11 PM

Icon22

Suddenly, I feel very old

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "But wasn't it only 20 years ago today?" ab Arthur
Old 01 June 2017, 01:46 PM

Hey, wasn't that last week?

-- though, to be honest, that's not a time in my life I really want to go back to; at least not unless I could somehow do it in a different state of mind the second time around.
Old 01 June 2017, 01:51 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
One of my favourite albums. I have it on CD now (the vinyl long since gone the way of most vinyl at least IME). 50 years? Wow.

I believe CHOM are playing a freshly pressed copy on Sunday night with a chance to win it.
Old 01 June 2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Hey, wasn't that last week?

-- though, to be honest, that's not a time in my life I really want to go back to; at least not unless I could somehow do it in a different state of mind the second time around.
No, last week was the 40th anniversary of Star Wars - this week is Sgt. Pepper's. There is a mashup of the two, released for the anniversaries, available on Youtube, called Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans. A group did an outstanding job of changing the lyrics to Star Wars, but otherwise matching the feel of Sgt. Pepper's.
Old 01 June 2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieuan ab Arthur View Post
Well, no, based on that it was actually 70 years ago today...
Old 01 June 2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
No, last week was the 40th anniversary of Star Wars - this week is Sgt. Pepper's.
I didn't mean, wasn't the anniversary last week. I meant, obviously facetiously, wasn't it just last week that the Sgt. Pepper's album first came out?

Apparently I need to recalibrate my joke-making capability.

Or possibly my joke-understanding capability, if you understood all of that already and were responding with one of your own.
Old 01 June 2017, 05:27 PM

No, this was all on my end. I thought perhaps you had heard about the Star Wars/Sgt. Pepper's mashup, and so thought all of this went down a week ago. My mistake.
Old 01 June 2017, 06:28 PM

... And the rabbit dropped his avocado and said, "No, that was the duck".

Ha! I've been waiting to use that line for ages and I never thought I'd get such a great set-up! Thanks everybody, I love these classic in-joke threads.
Old 01 June 2017, 08:03 PM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I love these classic in-joke threads.
No soap, radio!
Old 01 June 2017, 08:22 PM

Icon24

If this board did likes, I'd give you lots of them...
Old 02 June 2017, 09:48 PM

Icon106

SiriusXM had a special today on the making of the album. It made me appreciate all the more just how revolutionary this album was.

The lead singer from Foo Fighters said "You listened to songs like I Want To Hold Your Hand, She Love You, Please Please Me, then you listened to this album and you think to yourself 'Are these REALLY the same four guys?"

From the show, I gathered that they didn't just break all the rules of composing and recording music extant at the time. They ripped them to shreds, threw them in the dumpster, and set them on fire.
Old 02 June 2017, 10:38 PM

Should I cross-post this in Embarrassing Moments?

I was probably one of about six early-teenagers on the planet who didn't much like the Beatles. I was going to boarding school, and spending my summers mostly at home, where the music played was mostly classical. And in my memory the album this story is about was Rubber Soul; but looking at the timeline and the songs involved and which school I remember this happening in, it has to have actually been Sgt Pepper.

I came back from summer vacation, and somebody, of course, was playing records. I thought what I was listening to was odd and interesting, and asked, 'Hey, who is this?' . . .

a moment of silence, during which everybody stared at me. Chorus: "It's the Beatles!"

-- well, I wasn't quite that clueless. I knew who the Beatles were. I just had no idea they sounded like that.

(Eventually I wound up liking the early stuff, too. But it took the later work to get me there.)
Old 02 June 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
From the show, I gathered that they didn't just break all the rules of composing and recording music extant at the time. They ripped them to shreds, threw them in the dumpster, and set them on fire.
NPR (or one of the other producers of public radio content -- I'm not sure if it was actually NPR) aired a show about the album on Monday. It mentioned that before they recorded Sgt. Pepper The Beatles decided they weren't going to tour anymore, so they weren't limited by having to write songs that they could perform live.
Old 02 June 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
NPR (or one of the other producers of public radio content -- I'm not sure if it was actually NPR) aired a show about the album on Monday. It mentioned that before they recorded Sgt. Pepper The Beatles decided they weren't going to tour anymore, so they weren't limited by having to write songs that they could perform live.
Ringo addressed that very point on the show. He said the recording studio became their favorite place to be. They tired of concerts because "Nobody was really listening to the music anyway. All we could hear was the fan's screaming and yelling during the shows, so we decided to just put an end to it."
Old 03 June 2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Ringo [ . . . ] They tired of concerts because "Nobody was really listening to the music anyway. All we could hear was the fan's screaming and yelling during the shows, so we decided to just put an end to it."
Hah!

One of the things that put me against them early on was everybody screaming all the way through the shows (I didn't actually go to any, but I saw some clips on the news.) I didn't see how anybody could possibly hear anything but their own screaming -- the audiences weren't listening to the music.

Fifty-some years later, I find out that the Beatles were also annoyed by that.

(This is an entirely silly thing to feel vindicated about. Plus which, I think that at thirteen some part of me thought that meant the music wasn't worth listening to; which does not follow.)
Old 03 June 2017, 01:25 AM

As fantastic as it is, I wouldn't put this album in their top three. (I would put it way up there with the most influential albums of all time.)
Old 03 June 2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Ringo addressed that very point on the show. He said the recording studio became their favorite place to be. They tired of concerts because "Nobody was really listening to the music anyway. All we could hear was the fan's screaming and yelling during the shows, so we decided to just put an end to it."
About twenty years ago (not today it is just an estimate ) I got quite obsessed with The Beatles and read a fair bit on them. I remember reading at one point the got off stage and realise that the had played a completely different song to each other, they couldn't hear each other because of the screaming. I don't know if it was the finale deciding factor but it probably helped. They felt the fans weren't there to hear the music they were just there to scream.
Old 03 June 2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieuan ab Arthur View Post
Suddenly, I feel very old

Ta ra 'wan,

I when it was 20 years ago today. I was in grade 12 and was just becoming aware of who they were. But yeah it does make me feel old surely it is only 40 years ago today, 40 years ago I could handle.

But since we are talking music I am listening to my cousin second album. All my cousins a fair bit younger then me, and since they are now, to a cousin, all officially adults, well now that makes me feel older.