snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 18 November 2016, 10:58 PM

Default Is the Million Letter March real?

Hey all. I saw this site recently and I'm wondering if it's real or a scam to collect a lot of personal info from people. I've looked but haven't been able to get a clear answer. Perhaps someone else's Google Fu is better than mine?

https://millionlettermarch.typeform.com/to/rihb0D
Old 19 November 2016, 12:18 AM

Who, precisely, are they going to send the letters to?

They say they'll be sent "to the doorstep of the Electoral College", as if that were a place. But the Electoral College doesn't all meet in one place. The electors from each state meet in that state. The votes are officially counted all in one place, at the Senate, but by then they've already been cast.

As near as I can tell (though admittedly I didn't spend a long time on it), there's no way to contact the College as a whole. Some people have been contacting individual electors directly; but that's a bit tricky, as this seems to in at least some cases be being taken as harassment, which is more likely to make them dig in their heels than to switch votes.

And there's already a petition at change.org, which is at least a recognized organization that's known to do this sort of thing. (Theirs says the petition will be sent to the electors.)
Old 19 November 2016, 01:01 PM

It's my understanding that the Electoral College does actually meet in one place to cast their votes. That's one of the reasons we had one, for when travel was hard for people.
Old 19 November 2016, 06:54 PM

Yup, travel was difficult. Which is probably why they do meet in their respective states, rather than all the electors having to travel (most of them much further) to one location.