snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 14 July 2016, 01:40 PM

Icon104 Thumb-sucking and nail-biting might prevent allergies

If you’re a parent, you might want to think twice about shooing a thumb from your child’s mouth. Researchers in New Zealand have found that children who suck their thumbs or bite their nails are less likely to develop allergies later in their lives. The research comes from a long-term project known as the Dunedin Multidisciplinary Health and Development Study, which has followed more than 1,000 children from Dunedin, New Zealand, since birth. The study is now in its fifth decade. Stephanie Lynch, a medical student who is part of the current study, said that through the years, participants were asked detailed questions about their lives. From these answers, Lynch and study lead author Bob Hancox were able to collect the data on thumb-sucking and nail-biting. Children in the study were reported by their parents as being thumb-suckers or nail-biters at ages 5, 7, 9 and 11.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ent-allergies/
Old 14 July 2016, 02:11 PM

Glasses

I sucked my thumb (and then my little finger) for years, and I have allergies up the kazoo. Apparently my thumb/finger weren't dirty enough to save me from my genetics.

Seaboe
Old 14 July 2016, 02:27 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I sucked my thumb (and then my little finger) for years, and I have allergies up the kazoo. Apparently my thumb/finger weren't dirty enough to save me from my genetics.

Seaboe

Same here. I tell people that my respiratory system came from a dollar store.
Old 14 July 2016, 02:35 PM

Yeah, based on that article, I would hate to see what her allergies would have been if she HADN'T sucked her thumb until the fifth grade. As it is now, I think she shows up in the annual report of Zyrtec.