snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 30 December 2014, 06:17 PM

Default My apartment building was condemned

About 1pm, my next-door neighbors knocked on my door and told me this, and I thought, "Well, maybe it's just a rumor." About half an hour later, the maintenance guy and the cops show up and tell us we have about an hour to grab some clothes and our pets and get out. Apparently, the building violates fire codes. DSS is paying for most of us to stay in a motel for a week, and China is at the animal shelter next door to my mom(who volunteers there, so I know China is in good hands). My ARC worker is trying to find me another apartment, but if it takes longer than a week I don't know what I'm going to do. I suppose if worse comes to absolute worst, I could stay with Mom for awhile, but I'd have to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room.
Old 30 December 2014, 06:27 PM

Oh smittykins, that sucks. I'm sorry. I hope your ARC workers finds you a place soon. I don't know what the legalities are, but IMO you should be getting some of your rent back.
Old 30 December 2014, 06:30 PM

So sorry to hear that. What a time of year to deal with it, too, although at least this winter is not (yet) as severe as last winter was. Will you be able to recover any of your other stuff later? What was the cause of the condemnation?

It always strikes me as odd that a condition can be around for so long and then they give you such a short time to get out. I would understand better if it was a gas leak requiring trenching, or toxic chemicals permeating the facility. But if it is, say, an electrical problem, then they ought to be able to at least cut off the electricity and give you a couple of days. Or move you out immediately, but give you access to get your things over the next few days. It depends on the threat, of course, but it seems the response is always 'NOW, NOW NOW!'
Old 30 December 2014, 06:44 PM

John(the maintaince guy)said it violated fire code(apparently the sprinkler system didn't work, and someone got stuck in the elevator on Friday). He says he'll open the building for a few hours every day this week so people can clear out ther apartments.

Now, if I can first-world rant a bit, the motel room is clean and warm, but the TV picture rolls constantly, and the wifi is password-protected. Good thing my phone has a good data plan.
Old 30 December 2014, 07:25 PM

If you are staying in the hotel, they should give you the password to the WiFi.
Old 30 December 2014, 07:32 PM

Every place I've stayed that has wi-fi, the password was on a card in the room.
Old 30 December 2014, 07:39 PM

Password protecting wi-fi in a hotel is silly: they have to give it out to so many people anyway that it's hardly secure.
Old 30 December 2014, 08:41 PM

It all depends on how often they change the password or whether they use one single password for all guests. Some hotels give out individual passwords for each stay. In other cases the purpose is to prevent random patrons of a nearby restaurant or competing hotel from using their wifi.
Old 30 December 2014, 09:36 PM

I usually seem the password handwritten on a card, so it would be easy for housekeeping to change them out.
Old 31 December 2014, 02:16 AM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Password protecting wi-fi in a hotel is silly: they have to give it out to so many people anyway that it's hardly secure.
That's not really correct. Depending on the type of security used, a password that is known can protect everyone. It sounds impossible but the public password is used only to negotiate a secret password that cannot be found from eavesdropping. So if your hotel or coffee shop offers a public password it may be offering you very good protection. It won't keep out people who are using the network without permission but it may certainly be keeping your communication private. (You still have to be careful, for example, that you're connecting to the right network, etc. Also, not all wi-fi spots are using secure protocols.)
Old 02 January 2015, 12:00 PM

They replaced my TV yesterday, only to find out the TV isn't the problem, it's the cable.
But on a positive note, I get to visit China today!