snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 August 2013, 10:37 PM

Crash I got hit by a car today

I went to run an errand at lunch time today. As I was biking back to work I stopped at a traffic light, in the lane going straight ahead. There was an old lady stopped beside me in the right turn only lane. When the light turned green I started riding towards the bike lane on the opposite side of the intersection. The old lady also went straight ahead even though she was in the right turn lane and drove right into the back of me.

I'm not sure if the lady who hit me was actually cited for going straight from the right turn lane, but the police officer who came out said he's going to have her driving privileges reviewed. In his opinion she probably shouldn't be driving anymore. I might be called to testify at that hearing.

My injuries were surprisingly minor, pretty much just a scrapped knee and a bruised elbow. I imagine she was driving in typical little old lady fashion and going really slowly, so I pretty much just got knocked over. The bike didn't fare quite as well. The rear wheel is completely bent out of shape. That looks like the only damage, but I might use this as an excuse to upgrade to a nice road bike anyway.

I know I'm probably reinforcing a lot of people's opinions that riding on the road is dangerous. Still, I've always heard that getting from behind by someone going the same direction as you is actually the least likely form of accident. If you think about it, if that happens it means the driver really screwed up. I just happened to be the victim of someone who really screwed up.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 01 August 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01 August 2013, 11:02 PM

Eek. Glad you came out of that only bruised a bit.
Old 01 August 2013, 11:04 PM

No, it sounds like she was definitely in the wrong.

I'm glad you're okay!
Old 01 August 2013, 11:12 PM

Yikes! Glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Old 01 August 2013, 11:14 PM

What everyone else said.
Old 02 August 2013, 01:46 AM

Ouch! -- and glad it wasn't worse.
Old 02 August 2013, 02:01 PM

Really nothing to add other than another "glad you're okay" here.
Old 02 August 2013, 02:51 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I've always heard that getting from behind by someone going the same direction as you is actually the least likely form of accident. If you think about it, if that happens it means the driver really screwed up. I just happened to be the victim of someone who really screwed up.
Although the words don't say it, it sounds like you're making excuses for her. She was in the wrong from minute one and the fact that she was a little old lady should not get her off the hook.

Have you already called her insurance company? They should pay for your injuries and replace your bike. You don't have to close the claim quickly; just get things started and then wait at least a couple weeks to make sure there's no lingering damage.

Note: I'm making these suggestions from the point of view who someone who has hit a bicyclist. It was absolutely awful, and I at least had the excuse that there was no way I could've seen him coming (and I had witnesses to that effect).

I'm very glad you're not badly hurt (although, I admit, the fact that you felt well enough to post clued me in that you probably weren't). I hope the officer's recommendations are followed and that, if her license is revoked, she actually stops driving.

Seaboe
Old 02 August 2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Although the words don't say it, it sounds like you're making excuses for her. She was in the wrong from minute one and the fact that she was a little old lady should not get her off the hook.
That wasn't my intent at all. I was trying to reassure people that this accident doesn't mean cycling is unsafe, and the only reason this accident happened is exactly because this lady was completely in the wrong.

Quote:
Have you already called her insurance company? They should pay for your injuries and replace your bike. You don't have to close the claim quickly; just get things started and then wait at least a couple weeks to make sure there's no lingering damage.
I was actually never given any contact information for her insurance, just a police report number. AFIK in California when a police report is filed it automatically gets sent to the insurance company. The last time I was in a car accident the other driver's insurance company actually contacted me.
Old 02 August 2013, 04:42 PM

Thank DOYC you weren't seriously hurt!

That could have been so much worse.
Old 02 August 2013, 04:57 PM

Huh, the last time I was in a car crash (I was rear ended at a stop light), getting the other person's insurance information was my top priority- I called my agent and gave them the information and they took care of the rest. Though I guess sense you were on a bike you wouldn't be calling your auto insurance agent.
Old 02 August 2013, 06:34 PM

Glasses

If you don't hear from the insurance company in a few days, I would call your agent (even though you were on a bike).

Seaboe
Old 02 August 2013, 07:08 PM

Just a couple of thoughts:

The damage to your bike is definitely covered by her insurance. If you don't hear from her insurance contact the police and get the info. And remember, you might feel fine right now but what if your back or neck starts hurting in a couple of weeks.

I am glad that you are ok, but no matter how much in the right you were, were you really taking into account what would happen if she did go straight instead of turning right. I have avoided several accidents by assuming that other drivers were going to do something unpredictable. In other words it sounds like you rode in front of her before making sure that she actually was turning right.

dewey
Old 02 August 2013, 07:58 PM

Add another "glad you're OK" from me.
Old 02 August 2013, 08:11 PM

Here is another I'm glad you are okay. I'm also wondering if my sisters and I should work on getting our father's license revoked. He has improved a bit from when I posted about it last fall but I still worry.
Old 02 August 2013, 10:06 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Thank DOYC you weren't seriously hurt!

That could have been so much worse.

Ditto that!

Many years ago, I was sideswiped while riding my bike on a residential street. The driver turned left, I was in the road, I hit the side of the car and went over. The bike was fine, I was beat up a bit but fine. We exchanged information and went on our ways. I was so sore the next morning! Every part of me hurt like the world's troubles. The driver did call me that morning to see if I was OK. What I remember most was that I was wearing a thick purple bangle at the time. That bangle split in half, but I think that if I had not been wearing it, my right arm would've been seriously hurt.
Old 02 August 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
Just a couple of thoughts:
I am glad that you are ok, but no matter how much in the right you were, were you really taking into account what would happen if she did go straight instead of turning right. I have avoided several accidents by assuming that other drivers were going to do something unpredictable. In other words it sounds like you rode in front of her before making sure that she actually was turning right.
Well, even before the light changed I already was sort of in front of her. Well, in front of her and on her left. I always try to make sure I'm in a position where drivers will be more likely to see me, so I try to be a little bit ahead of them rather than right beside them when I'm at a traffic light. I actually did think it was a little odd that she was just sitting there at the light rather than making a right turn on red, which would have been perfectly legal there. My mistake was assuming that she actually saw me there and wouldn't run into me even if she wasn't going to go right.
Old 03 August 2013, 10:35 PM

I recommend you get checked out by a doctor even though you feel fine. I was hit by a driver who was looking right at me and hurt much less initially than you were but the next day, oy!

You may not notice problems for a few days that your doctor might notice sooner.

Also, her insurance should pay for your bike repairs. (Or give you the money for repairs that you can use to help pay for a new bike.)
Old 04 August 2013, 03:58 AM

I remember waking up the next morning feeling sore all over as I previously mentioned, but also thinking: I should get a tetanus shot! I was scraped up a bit, but nothing serious.
Old 14 August 2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
No, it sounds like she was definitely in the wrong.

I'm glad you're okay!
The old woman driver was in the right. However she was wrong.

Sorry couldn't resist.