snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 10 January 2013, 12:03 AM

Judge Defense lawyer in India rape case blames victim

The lawyer representing three of the men accused of gang-raping a student aboard a bus in India last month blamed the victim for the attack, saying "respected" women in India are not raped.

Manohar Lal Sharma said 23-year-old Jyoti Singh Pandey and her male friend were "wholly responsible" for the horrific torture they suffered in the Dec. 16 attack in New Delhi because they were an unmarried couple on the streets at night, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1236369
Old 10 January 2013, 04:05 AM

Wow.. At least in the US and Europe we find ways to thinly veil our victim blaming, you aren't even trying India..
Old 10 January 2013, 05:37 AM

I do wonder how much effort the defense lawyer is really putting in to it, given that all other lawyers registered in the district have decided to boycott the case.

Given earlier reports I read that said a rape victim should remain anonymous lest she bring shame to her family and other such assorted dross, I'm heartened to see that her family disagrees:
Quote:
Her name is Jyoti.

The 23-year-old student at the center of a barbaric gang-rape case in India — and whose death has put a spotlight on violence against women — has been identified by her own father, Britain’s The Sunday People reported.

“We want the world to know her real name,” Badri Singh Pandey, 53, told the newspaper from his ancestral village in northern India.

“I am proud of her,” he added. “Revealing her name will give courage to other women who have survived these attacks. They will find strength from my daughter.”
Old 10 January 2013, 01:38 PM

How exactly will raped women find courage from a woman who died from injuries from a brutal rape? I'm hoping he's not hoping for a "See, it could have been worse." making the other women feel better.
Old 10 January 2013, 01:59 PM

I think what he is trying to say is that by publicizing her name, these women who have survived won't feel like they have to hide in shame because of what happened to them, and more women may be willing to come forward to name their attackers. By not hiding who she was it may help take away the stigma applied to the rape victims who are otherwise told to stay quiet because it was their fault.
Old 10 January 2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Wow.. At least in the US and Europe we find ways to thinly veil our victim blaming, you aren't even trying India..
Looks like their clergy (or whatever he is) can be as crass as some of the ones here:

Quote:
Indian spiritual leader Asaram Bapu said a rape victim who later died of her wounds was 'as guilty' as her attackers.
Old 10 January 2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
How exactly will raped women find courage from a woman who died from injuries from a brutal rape? I'm hoping he's not hoping for a "See, it could have been worse." making the other women feel better.
I viewed it more as showing that there is more grieving for a daughter than shame from the stigma of her being raped. Not courage to women so much as encouraging other families of rape victims not to be ashamed. It's a big change from tradition.
Old 10 January 2013, 06:50 PM

I can't get the cut & paste to work on my phone so I can't quote but I love how he degrades her male friend as well by saying he should of protected her. Because 5 on 1 is such good odds.

OTOH, someone has to mount a defense for them or they cannot have a trial. Better someone take the case & get it over with than they continue to delay the trial while they continue the hunt for someone to defend these wastes of skin.
Old 10 January 2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
"Guilt is not one-side" Bapu said in the sermon.

“She should have called the culprits brothers and begged before them to stop," he added.
Quote:
The lawyer representing three of the men accused of gang-raping a student aboard a bus in India last month blamed the victim for the attack, saying "respected" women in India are not raped.
In my better moments I don't wish ill to anyone. This isn't one of my better moments and I'm having some very dark thoughts.

I can cope with the fact that there will always be vile, dangerous people who aren't capable of true compassion or empathy. But I can't really cope with the idea of those people being in positions of authority. I'm heartened by the response the attack created, and I hope it's fueled a real, sustained desire for change - it seems it has, but time will tell.
Old 10 January 2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em View Post
Given earlier reports I read that said a rape victim should remain anonymous lest she bring shame to her family and other such assorted dross, I'm heartened to see that her family disagrees:
They don't, actually:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20930101

Quote:
The victim's father has denied weekend reports in a British newspaper that he wanted his daughter's name published.

He told BBC Hindi last week that he would have no problem with her name being used on a new law against rape.
It's illegal to name rape victims in India without a specific agreement to lift anonymity by the relevant parties, which wasn't provided. There was a more detailed article about it on the BBC which I can't find.