snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 06 August 2009, 06:18 PM

Icon13 Don't water your plants at midday

Comment: I was told by two gardener that one should never water plants in
full sunlight 11am to 3:30pm, otherwise it harms the plant. I wanted to
know if this was true or not.
Old 06 August 2009, 06:23 PM

I have heard advice not to do this, but the basis was simply that in the direct sun, you'll lose a lot more of it to evaporation. In cooler and shadier times of the day, the water soaks in better.

I have also heard the claim that the beads of water can form a lens which will focus the sunlight and make pinhole burns on the plants. It would be exceedingly rare that the angle of the sun and the positioning and shape of the water droplet would combine to make any sort of dangerous effect.
Old 06 August 2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I have heard advice not to do this, but the basis was simply that in the direct sun, you'll lose a lot more of it to evaporation. In cooler and shadier times of the day, the water soaks in better.
This is one reason I don't do it, evaporation. Not sure if watering then would really harm the plant. I've never heard that pinhole burn thing before but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. And generally I'm not at home to do it those times even if that were the perfect time to do it. We'd like to set up a timer & all that good stuff but just haven't gotten around to it.

I have watered things during that time but it was mostly because I'd literally just planted it in a planter or the ground. But for the most part, I'm an evening waterer.

I've heard early morning is better than evening, but I'm not haulin' my cookies outta bed any earlier than I have to & watering after 5PM has worked fine for me all these years.
Old 07 August 2009, 12:41 AM

All I can say at this point is that my standard routine is to water my plants at 11.30 and 15.30. As yet all are doing well and none have caught fire (even pin-point burns)
Old 07 August 2009, 03:48 AM

On the subject of pinhole burns, I did an experiment with snapdragons for the science fair when I was in middle school. The purpose was to determine which solution kept cut flowers fresh longest, and I chose snapdragons because they are cool. (For the record, diluted Sprite beat everything else, including plain water, club soda, sugar water, beer, and all three brands of powdered flower food; the flowers in Sprite actually grew and produced more blossoms!) What? Oh, right, the point. I spritzed all of them with water in addition to keeping them in vases, and I noticed little bleached spots where I'd sprayed. I was keeping them indoors, though, so I have a hard time believing the 60-watt bulb burned them from 10 feet away...
Old 07 August 2009, 06:45 AM

It rains in central Florida almost every afternoon in the summer usually between 1:00 and 3:00 PM EDT. I haven't noticed it hurting the lush vegetation around here.
Old 07 August 2009, 07:17 AM

I was told not water from the top in direct sunlight because "it brings the roots to the surface". Nature doesn't seem to observe this rule.
Old 07 August 2009, 01:15 PM

I've seen "don't water your lawns at midday," especially when there's a shortage of water. But that's also about evaporation: the water on top of the soil when you move on will evaporate in the sun; less will evaporate when it's cooler and thus more will sink into the soil.
Old 07 August 2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
I was told not water from the top in direct sunlight because "it brings the roots to the surface". Nature doesn't seem to observe this rule.
"Brings roots to the surface", huh, never heard that one. I'd think gravity would keep that from happening.

I think root watering is a little better because the water goes where it needs to go, especially when a plant is young & trying to establish roots. All the nurseries around here do it but they also turn on giant sprinklers to water from above so there goes that "roots to the surface" theory.
Old 07 August 2009, 04:09 PM

The most important reason not to water your plants at those time may have to do with the temperature of the water in the hose. If the water hose is laying around in the sun with water it. The water may be hot enough to damage the plants when it first comes out.
Old 10 August 2009, 07:55 AM

Australia

The most important reason not to water your plants at midday in Sydney is because it's illegal. Watering is only permitted before 10am and after 4pm, else you can be fined $220.

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Saving...Introduced.cfm
Old 10 August 2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
The most important reason not to water your plants at midday in Sydney is because it's illegal. Watering is only permitted before 10am and after 4pm, else you can be fined $220.
Ditto with local hosepipe bans in bits of the UK. Watering plants at midnight is usually safer.
Old 10 August 2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I have also heard the claim that the beads of water can form a lens which will focus the sunlight and make pinhole burns on the plants. It would be exceedingly rare that the angle of the sun and the positioning and shape of the water droplet would combine to make any sort of dangerous effect.
I've heard that also, and I guess that when you water plants from above with a hose or some kind of sprinkler, you produce so many water droplets that some will have the right size/shape/position to make that happen. As in: watering your whole lawn wil produce five to seven minuscle pinhole burns - much less holes than your average garden insect produces...

Don Enrico
Old 12 August 2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:

The ONLY plant that I've ever heard any warnings about involving water and light was African violets. My third-grade class had a VERY small "greenhouse" which had a couple of African violet plants and our teacher always cautioned us to be careful when watering those plants to avoid letting any water splash on the leaves because they'd spot or burn (I don't recall which).
Technically, though, if beads of water could form a lens, it wouldn't matter what time of day they were watered. Any sunlight could conceivably be focused through a water-bead lens to burn the plant. (Specific note here: I'm not directly responding to TNM on this. I'm just responding to the claim that he's heard.)