Fight Have you belted your kid today?

Comment: I heard about a mis-worded slogan encouraging parents to make
sure their kids wore seat belts: "Have you belted your kid today?"
Supposedly a true story that it ran in a PSA at some point before someone
recognized the alternate meaning of the phrase. Always wondered whether
it was a true story or not.
Old 16 January 2009, 07:41 PM

Vanishing

True story or not, I can think of some that might deliberately misinterpret the saying. If DS1 or DS2 give me problems about getting belted in, maybe I could offer them the other belt.

[Hijack] Massachusetts recently enacted a law (http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph...r_seat_faq.pdf) that kids under 8 have to ride in a booster seat, so they should already be "belted". Problem for me was that kids under 5 had to be in a convertible car seat and not a booster seat. DS1 was a few months shy of 5 so there was no way I was going to get a convertible seat just for a few months. Guess DS2's stuck in his convertible seat for awhile. The convertible seats also have a weight limit, so I don't know what we'll do if DS2 passes the weight limit before the age limit.[/Hijack]

Last edited by Phantom; 16 January 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 16 January 2009, 07:56 PM

Going on my aging memory, but it was a real campaign. The double meaning was intential. I don't remember when or how long it ran. A Google search indicates that it might have been a Texas only campaign.
Old 16 January 2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
True story or not, I can think of some that might deliberately misinterpret the saying. If DS1 or DS2 give me problems about getting belted in, maybe I could offer them the other belt.

[Hijack] Massachusetts recently enacted a law (http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph...r_seat_faq.pdf) that kids under 8 have to ride in a booster seat, so they should already be "belted". Problem for me was that kids under 5 had to be in a convertible car seat and not a booster seat. DS1 was a few months shy of 5 so there was no way I was going to get a convertible seat just for a few months. Guess DS2's stuck in his convertible seat for awhile. The convertible seats also have a weight limit, so I don't know what we'll do if DS2 passes the weight limit before the age limit.[/Hijack]
BC also has a booster seat law, and my 3 year old granddaughter uses one, despite being under 5. The reason is that the law also gives weight and height restrictions and she is above both of these. My guess is that the Massachusetts law has the same thing.
Old 16 January 2009, 08:38 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

AFA the OP is concerned, I suspect the double meaning is intentional, meant to make people take a second look so they actually absorb the message.

The Kitten is past her 8th birthday, but she will continue to use a booster seat until she is tall enough to wear a seatbelt safely (when it crosses her shoulder/chest instead of her throat).

We didn't have no stinkin' carseats when I was a kid, and we weren't made to wear seatbelts in the back seat -- but my parents' rule was that we weren't allowed to ride in the front seat until we were tall enough to wear a shoulder belt safely. No fair! Nobody else's parents had that rule! Late bloomer that I was, I couldn't ride up front until I was almost a teenager. My parents sure were smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana M View Post
BC also has a booster seat law, and my 3 year old granddaughter uses one, despite being under 5. The reason is that the law also gives weight and height restrictions and she is above both of these. My guess is that the Massachusetts law has the same thing.
Height only, not weight:
Quote:
“no child under the age of eight and measuring less than fifty-seven inches shall ride as a passenger in a motor vehicle on any way unless such child is properly fastened and secured, according to the manufacturers’ instructions, by a child passenger restraint”
Four Kitties
Old 16 January 2009, 08:39 PM

Most of the state laws have dual age and height/weight requirements, with an understood "whichever comes first," so people with dwarfism or other growth disorders don't end up in carseats at age 30.
Old 17 January 2009, 02:44 AM
covel

The slogan seems like it would have been one that would have ticked off a lot of parents. Then again, it depends on when it was ran. If the same campaign was launched today, there would probably be a big reaction to that.

(Here in the UK, any child under 4'5" and under 12 has to have an age appropriate car seat. My son has just now reached that height at 10 and I am thankful because I really didn't want him to have to be in a booster seat at 11!)
Old 17 January 2009, 03:54 PM
Fun with a 9mm

As kids, we had a game called "Belt Tag" that we played with our dad and grandpa. They would sit in lawn chairs in the yard, talking and my brother and sister and I would annoy them until one of them took off their belt as a "threat". We would spend hours dodging the belt as they whipped it at us. This was in NO WAY abusive, I swear! We would beg them to play it. Getting belted left welts. Mother and grandmother would raise hell with them for that!
Old 17 January 2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Most of the state laws have dual age and height/weight requirements, with an understood "whichever comes first," so people with dwarfism or other growth disorders don't end up in carseats at age 30.
But if it is the height that is the problem, and keeping people safe should overrule their own choices, why should people with those conditions not be required to have booster seats?
Old 17 April 2009, 08:28 PM

Tangentially, Mr Embra's father makes instructional videos for a living, and went to film schoolchildren in class once, introducing himself with the line, "I've come to shoot the kids"...
Old 17 April 2009, 08:39 PM

Canada

I found a "Who cares if you belt your kids?" campaign
Old 17 April 2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya
But if it is the height that is the problem, and keeping people safe should overrule their own choices, why should people with those conditions not be required to have booster seats?
I just noticed I never replied to this.

There're probably two main reasons. The first is that belting kids in is forcing parents to make a particular choice when the kids aren't able to make an informed choice. People with dwarfism are adults making choices for themselves.

The second is that for various reasons, dwarves may be safer than kids. I am not an expert on dwarfism, but because adults with dwarfism are adults with fully calcified bones and closed growth plates, maybe they are not as vulnerable as children. Also, because they can watch the road and interpret what is happening, they may be safer.

Then, there is the fact that dwarves are not shaped like children even if they are the same height, so they may not fit in or be protected by children's carseats. In the case where a particular adult has a medical need, whether they are a dwarf or not, for extra protection or restraint in a car, they probably have custom made restraints, which are expensive, but paid for by medicare.

Although, for all I know, some little people who drive may use the bottom part of child booster seats, along with the pedal extenders and other things you can get from various places. Little People of America has conventions, and there are vendors with these sorts of things, and there are catalogs, and auto parts stores can probably order them, and there's Google.

ETA: Aha! If anyone is curious: http://www.pedalextenders.com/.
Old 17 April 2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Going on my aging memory, but it was a real campaign. The double meaning was intential. I don't remember when or how long it ran. A Google search indicates that it might have been a Texas only campaign.
I remember them as well-I'm pretty sure it was a national campaign.
Old 19 April 2009, 04:55 PM
Bassist

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I remember them as well-I'm pretty sure it was a national campaign.
I don't remember the PSA campaign, but did see a bumper sticker along those lines a while ago:

"Hug your kids at home,
Belt them in the car"

Old 20 April 2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I agree, although, usually, they get cars rebuilt to suit them, so that problem is resolved anyway. If riding in a "foreign" car (ie not built for them), though, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable precaution.