snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 10 June 2007, 11:28 AM

Default Surf's Up? Airliner blows beachgoers into water

...or are they just taking advantage of the waves?
Old 10 June 2007, 12:15 PM

Airplane

It looks real enough to me. Jet blast is pretty powerful. That looks like the beech at St Maarten's, which is just off the end of the airport's runway (and a favorite of airline photographers).

~Psihala

Last edited by Psihala; 10 June 2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10 June 2007, 01:38 PM

D'oh!

There's another demonstration here from BBC's Top Gear program. It's rather long, but at least it isn't located on a 9/11 conspiracy site. My only complaint about this video is that they 'fuzz out' some parts of the video.
(If they're not going to 'fuzz out' the name of the airline in every shot, why do it all?)

No video, but here's an article about the dangers of jet blasts as well.

~Psihala
(*Never thought I'd ever get photographic evidence from the 'dark side', (ie, the video in my initial post), but it was the one that came in the quickest on my slow DSL connection. I'm sure Googling for 'jet blast' will turn up other sources of it that I wasn't able to get.)

Last edited by Psihala; 10 June 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10 June 2007, 09:50 PM
Rehcsif

Wouldn't it be insanely loud there (to the tune of hearing damage without protection)?
Old 10 June 2007, 10:46 PM
PrometheusX303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
There's another demonstration here from BBC's Top Gear program.
I'm guessing the LoTR music was not in the original program.
Old 10 June 2007, 11:31 PM

It doesn't look to me like they're being blown into the water - it looks like they are jumping in the water to escape the sandblast.
Old 10 June 2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
There's another demonstration here from BBC's Top Gear program. It's rather long, but at least it isn't located on a 9/11 conspiracy site. My only complaint about this video is that they 'fuzz out' some parts of the video.
(If they're not going to 'fuzz out' the name of the airline in every shot, why do it all?)
It's also worth noting that if you pay attention to the shots inside the cockpit, you'll notice the pilot is only throttling up two of the plane's four engines for that demonstration. The jet in the OP video would be producing twice the jet blast.
Old 11 June 2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehcsif View Post
Wouldn't it be insanely loud there (to the tune of hearing damage without protection)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
It doesn't look to me like they're being blown into the water - it looks like they are jumping in the water to escape the sandblast.

There is an area just east of the South runway at LAX where you can (unofficially) stand and enjoy how the blast feels from different types of jets from just across the road(it's in the engine configuration). The biggest danger there is not noise (it's not any louder than one flying overhead at a few hundred feet), but rather the random debris kicked up by the blast. I definitely agree with Roadie that they're just jumping in the water to avoid the blast debris.
Old 11 June 2007, 09:20 AM

Do they usually close the beach for takeoffs, or is that plane starting from a different position than usual? I've seen loads of photos of aircraft landing on that runway from that direction with people on the beach, but if they usually take off in that direction too, why doesn't that happen every time? I can't believe it's intentional or safe...
Old 11 June 2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Do they usually close the beach for takeoffs, or is that plane starting from a different position than usual? I've seen loads of photos of aircraft landing on that runway from that direction with people on the beach, but if they usually take off in that direction too, why doesn't that happen every time? I can't believe it's intentional or safe...
IIRC they have to start out over the beach because of a rock close to the other end of the runway.
Old 11 June 2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
In some of the photos I've seen you can see a sign that reads something like "Danger! Jet blast from departing aircraft can cause serious injury or death!" but as far as I know they don't officially close the beach for every departure. It would be difficult to clear the beach for every departure, so the more practical options would be to close the beach premantly or stay with the status quo, and lets face it, part of the allure of visiting St. Maarten is the the chance to stand that close to the end of the runway.

ETA: There's a photo of the sign on Wikipedia.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 11 June 2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11 June 2007, 04:22 PM

Gah. I know better than to read comments on video sharing sites, but I did. I was getting annoyed with people saying "Hammond is also a presenter on Top Gear". FFS, the clip was on Top Gear.
Old 11 June 2007, 04:34 PM

in a related post, this video linked to the one in the OP made me laugh for quite a while.