snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 08 June 2018, 12:24 PM

Default D-Day is example of America's 'strong relationship with German government'...

'You have six months to educate Heather Nauert on the history and significance of Pearl Harbor before she cites it as an example of strong US-Japan relations'

A State Department spokeswoman has been ridiculed for citing the D-Day invasion as an example of America’s “very strong relationship” with Germany. “We have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany,” Heather Nauert said. “Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government of Germany.” During the D-Day invasion on 6 June, 1944, around 156,000 British, American, Canadian and other Allied troops stormed the beaches of Normandy to establish a foothold in Nazi-occupied France.

Ms Nauert’s comments were mocked online and dissected by MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, who pointed out the State Department spokeswoman had been hired directly from Fox News.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8387221.html
Old 08 June 2018, 01:18 PM

United States

From the article:
Quote:
Another [Twitter user] asked: “How is she qualified to work in the state dept?”
Better question: How was she even qualified to work for a major news organization?
Old 08 June 2018, 02:57 PM

Ignorance is a good thing, not a liability at FAUX News.
Old 08 June 2018, 03:34 PM

I was going to make a joke about it not necessarily being inaccurate if the point was to threaten Germany. But I can't bring myself to even pretend to take seriously a remark that going back to D-Day reflects a "very long history."
Old 09 June 2018, 02:22 AM

Mouse

If we could somehow convert grave-spinning into a viable energy source, the late Dwight Eisenhower could probably singlehandedly end our dependence upon Middle Eastern oil. After all, he helped plan D-Day, and thus was able to add "Defeated Hitler" on his already incredibly impressive resume.
Old 09 June 2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
But I can't bring myself to even pretend to take seriously a remark that going back to D-Day reflects a "very long history."
Depending on your definition, Germany as a state doesn't have a very long history.
Old 09 June 2018, 05:00 PM

But how do the Germans see it?
Old 11 June 2018, 05:58 AM

Germany

It's complicated.

Germany today takes the colours of it's flag and the words and music of it's national anthem from the 1848 liberal, democratic and unifying movement (the 1848ers). So, the impression of what is "Germany" goes further back than 1948, when the Federal Republic of Germany was founded, or 1871, when the first "national German state", the German Empire, was proclaimed. Germany accepts both World Wars and the atrocities of the Nazi regime as part of it's national history and feels (in it's majority) responsible to remember these horrors and work against them happening ever again.

On the other hand, there are those who claim a much longer German history, going back to ancient Teutons fighting the Romans. You find this historic claims mainly among the very conservative and the far right, going along with a picture of "Germany" and "Germans" that isn't so very different from that of the Nazis themselves. Just last week, a leader of the populist-right-wing party AfD, Alexander Gauland, draw ire (and rightly so!) for claiming that "Hitler and the Nazis are just bird shit in more than 1,000 years of successful German history."

So, every reference to the history of Germany is burdened with difficulties, political pitfalls, wrong (or correct!) associations and possible revisionism. It's, as I said, complicated.

Last edited by Don Enrico; 11 June 2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11 June 2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Depending on your definition, Germany as a state doesn't have a very long history.
It's easy to pick and choose definitions... the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has only existed since 1922! I doubt we're going to get a nice 100th birthday celebration though, not least because at this rate it might not even make it that far. But people will still be talking about "a thousand years of our nation's unbroken history" even if it doesn't. (I don't know why right-wing nationalists like the number 1,000 so much. Maybe they can't cope with more than one significant figure.)