snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 04 June 2018, 05:24 PM

Default Supreme Court sidesteps abortion dispute between Trump lawyers and ACLU over teen imm

Supreme Court sidesteps abortion dispute between Trump lawyers and ACLU over teen immigrant
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...604-story.html

Quote:
The Supreme Court decided Monday to sidestep an abortion dispute between the Trump administration and ACLU lawyers over a young immigrant woman who ended her pregnancy.

After six months of delay, the justices issued a short, unsigned opinion that wipes away the lower court rulings in the case that had supported the young womanís right to obtain an abortion.

The outcome leaves unresolved the question of whether young immigrants who crossed the border illegally have a right to obtain an abortion.
We have a president declaring he has the absolute right to pardon himself and cronies backing him up. This is no time for SCOTUS to wimp out.
Old 04 June 2018, 08:26 PM

Every other branch of government seems to be trying to kiss his ass, why should SCOTUS be any different.
Old 05 June 2018, 02:40 AM

Mouse

Is this the case involving a teenage Mexican immigrant? If thatís the case, you think he would be in favor of her getting an abortion, given his hatred of minorities. Then again, in a competition between hatred of minorities and hatred of women, maybe hatred of women wins out. That usually seems to be the case.
Old 05 June 2018, 03:43 AM

Remember, Trump believes that live is a zero-sum game. For him to win, someone else has to lose. And if someone loses, it must mean he wins. Making a Mexican have a miserable life is probably better than outright killing them in his book.
Old 06 June 2018, 03:13 AM

I mean, yeah, but Trump didn't decide this case. SCOTUS did, and made some pretty puzzling choices that to me look like cowardice.
Old 06 June 2018, 03:42 AM

Sometimes they play to a draw, I think. Each side realizes they aren't going to get what they want from a case, so they "punt." Likely Kennedy wouldn't agree to essentially overturn Roe v. Wade, but also didn't want to agree that the government had to "facilitate" abortions.

I'm not thrilled by them vacating the lower court ruling, but it could have been far worse.