snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 01 June 2018, 06:39 PM

Default Chelsea Clinton Points To Right-Wing Hypocrisy In Samantha Bee Outrage

“Feckless ****,” the fiery insult that comedian Samantha Bee flung at first daughter Ivanka Trump on Wednesday night, rankled many conservatives, who said Bee crossed a line. The White House called for TBS to cancel her show, “Full Frontal.” But at least one observer saw hypocrisy in all the backlash. Oliver Willis, a writer at the progressive news site Shareblue, unearthed a 1994 interview in which musician Ted Nugent used the same c-word to refer to then-first lady Hillary Clinton.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/polit...huD?li=AAggv0m
Old 01 June 2018, 07:13 PM

I personally find use of "the c-word" to refer to a woman to be only marginally less offensive than the use of the n-word to refer to a person of African descent. (The c-word, used instead to mean a particular part of a woman's anatomy, is crude, but not offensive in the same way.) I realize attitudes on this vary. I posted the above on Facebook, and a few women said it didn't particularly bother them. (I suggested that the fact that the person using the word was a woman might mitigate matters slightly; one woman agreed with me, another thought that made it worse.) And it seems to be used much more casually in some other English-speaking countries, though then I've usually heard it being applied to men.

In any case, while of course the right is being hypocritical, I don't much care for the particular example used here, equating Samantha Bee with Ted Nugent. If that's the best we can do, it's not very good. (I don't quite equate it with the Roseanne situation either, mainly because it's not like Samantha Bee has a history of this kind of slur.)

Finally, there's the argument Mark Evanier rasies:

Quote:
One of the reasons that what Samantha Bee was wrong is this: She did a report that made some serious allegations about Ivanka Trump — allegations that oughta be discussed. But nobody's discussing what Ivanka did. They're just discussing what Samantha did.
And that's the problem with a lot of our journalism these days. We hear so much about Trump's outrageous remarks and Twitter attacks that there's less focus on what he's actually doing. While I think it's important to point out just how incredibly inappropriate his communication style is for a President, it shouldn't outweigh his lack of competence and the damage he is doing to several branches of government (and how that's going to hurt all of us, but most of all, many of the people who voted for him).
Old 01 June 2018, 07:34 PM

If Bee hadn't used the c-word, no one would be discussing what Ivanka did anyway.
Old 01 June 2018, 08:49 PM

I agree, GenYus. I would argue that we are talking about it more since the episode, since at least it keeps getting brought up that we aren't talking about it. Without the controversy of the word, the rest of the bit would have been seen by her viewers and then quickly forgotten.
Old 01 June 2018, 10:45 PM

Baseball

I like David Frum's take on it.

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status...79936782135296

Trump's conservatives only demand that Trump's women be respected. All others are free to be disrespected.

His article in the Atlantic today was also very, very good.