snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 12 May 2018, 07:35 AM

I was just watching the Ron Howard documentary on The Beatles ("The Beatles: Eight Days a Week The Touring Years") and it went to segregation of audiences in some states of the US at that time and their reaction to it.

So in over 50 years how far have we come?
Old 12 May 2018, 07:57 AM

Well Yale desegregated in the 1850s to 1870s and I don't think you'd find any students there in the 1960's or 1970's calling the police on anyone for sleeping in the commons. We've come far but in some ways there's been a reversal.

All told, humans are getting better and better toward each other but that doesn't excuse getting worse in some ways.
Old 12 May 2018, 09:37 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Seriously, I've been wondering if this kind of thing is happening more often in the past year or two, or if it's just that the media are finally paying some attention. I strongly suspect the latter is the main reason we seem to be hearing about these incidents more frequently, but I worry that the former may also be true.
When I worked at the hotel in Wausau, Wisconsin from 1998_2000 we had a black maintenance guy.

Wausau was about 40,00- the biggest town in the area- and mostly white with I think the biggest minority being Hmong. He told me once that every time someone from a small town called for maintenance and he went up they would refuse to let him in until they'd verified who he was with the Front Desk. This never happened with the white maintenance men.

Just like our black, middle-aged cashier at the retail store got complaints about her behavior. She was uppity. She's rude. Yeah, no. Saying "I'm sorry, sir, but the second doesn't include CDs; it's for tapes only" is neither rude nor uppity.

It's been there all along- just mostly unnoticed if you're white.
Old 12 May 2018, 12:59 PM

Obviously, I'm aware that a lot of it has been there all along, and that part of the reason the media didn't cover it is that it wasn't news. "Someone called the cops because a black man was walking through a white neighborhood? Well, of course they did."

But from a personal perspective, it seems like it's worse now than it was just two or three years ago. Part of that is that I think in the wake of several high-profile stories in the past few years -- Treyvon Martin, Ferguson, all the others -- that (1) black people are speaking up about it more (much as women are speaking up more about sexual harassment), and (2) the media are listening.

That's good; I hope it means white people will take a closer look at themselves and their behavior -- our behavior -- and be moved to try to change.

But in the short run there is bound to be a backlash, too. I do think the apparent increase in racial tensions over the past few years is partially attributable to the fact that Obama's election made it finally sink into the collective white consciousness that they don't necessarily have a permanent lock on power.

That doesn't mean I regret that Obama was elected; but the elation I felt at the time -- that maybe we were finally moving past this crap -- was premature. Social progress is never fast enough for the oppressed, and always seems too fast to the privileged.
Old 12 May 2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't think you'd find any students there in the 1960's or 1970's calling the police on anyone for sleeping in the commons. We've come far but in some ways there's been a reversal.
I would be very surprised if this were true.

As E.Q. Taft mentioned, we are in a time of particular awareness and taking reports of this kind seriously. I am not old enough to remember the 60s, but I do remember the very casual and ingrained racism of the late 70s and 80s.

I've also heard an African American man speak about being a touring musician with a mixed race group in the 60s. I'm not sure what you could possibly think was better about the 60s in terms of someone recognizing that a black person might belong in a place the person thinks of as white people's space.
Old 12 May 2018, 09:03 PM

You're right, erwins. That was an unfounded assertion.