snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 05 May 2018, 02:03 AM

Default NRA silent on “good guy with gun”?

David Hogg retweeted this.

Quote:
Today, Siwatu-Salama Ra is in prison, in the only correctional facility in Michigan that houses women — one with severe overcrowding problems and structural issues. There she will stay, away from her young daughter and in the midst of a high-risk pregnancy. Because she defended herself with a legally owned — and unloaded — gun, in a state where doing so appears to be perfectly legal. And for now, the NRA, the nation’s most vigorous defender of the right to bear arms, is curiously and conspicuously silent.
Old 05 May 2018, 03:42 AM

This is not a surprise. The concept of self-defense has always applied asymmetrically: racism isn't a bug, they consider it a feature.
Old 06 May 2018, 03:07 AM

Mouse

To go with Crocoduck’s words, I think the Philando Castile case is proof of their BS. Because Philando Castile is the kind of scenario they fear: a law-abiding citizen gunned down in front of his girlfriend and four-year-old daughter for exercising his rights as a citizen. The NRA should be horrified, talking about how those bullets came close to hitting his four-year-old kid, how Castile had a permit, making it legal to for him to conceal carry. The gun, which he had a permit for, stayed in the glove box. As the cops grew more aggressive, he kept it together and stayed calm, yet the State gunned him down anyway. Heck, in the aftermath, his girlfriend managed to stay calm, remember to be all polite, always addressing the guys who gunned down her boyfriend as “Sir” or “Officer,” because she knew if she didn’t, they would kill her too.

Yet despite the facts mentioned, the NRA was oddly silent when it came to Philando Castile. It was the Left, which tends to favor gun control legislation, who protested and spoke on his behalf. But I’m sure the fact that Castile is Black in no way influenced the NRA’s judgement, and I am a horrible person to imply otherwise.

It’s hard to buy into the gun nuts “Standing up to guvmint tyranny” argument, given that they collectively worship the violent enforcement dealt out by the State.
Old 06 May 2018, 03:39 AM

I have heard people (pro-gun folks) arguing that Castille was smoking weed (IIRC, the cop claimed that he had smelled weed) and that put Castille immediately in the wrong and that when he mentioned he had a gun the cop thought he was going for it. In short, a Blue Lives Matter argument - backed up when the cop was not charged. Therefore cop killed a thug.

It's really sad. It seriously appears to me that the more fervent members of the NRA love living in conspiracy and delusion. If it's not their delusion that, should a shooting take place, they can turn into John McClane, its the conspiracy notion that there is an effort to take their guns and those people are Democrats (particularly Nancy Pelosi).
Old 06 May 2018, 05:55 AM

Meanwhile, Trump and Pence just appeared at an NRA rally where guns weren't permitted.
Old 06 May 2018, 02:14 PM

Every gun show I have attended has had a policy that requires all firearms on the premises be unloaded and the action rendered inoperable with tie wraps or some other form. I don't know if this is an insurance or legal requirement. Also, although both Pence and turnip say they wouldn't mind if their audiences were carrying guns, the Secret Service does.
Old 06 May 2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
although both Pence and turnip say they wouldn't mind if their audiences were carrying guns, the Secret Service does.
Which, of course, both Pence and Trump know perfectly well.

I wonder what they'd say if the Secret Service said 'It's OK with us'?
Old 06 May 2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Every gun show I have attended has had a policy that requires all firearms on the premises be unloaded and the action rendered inoperable with tie wraps or some other form. I don't know if this is an insurance or legal requirement. Also, although both Pence and turnip say they wouldn't mind if their audiences were carrying guns, the Secret Service does.
In addition, regardless of what the NRA or secret service says most public venues have a standing ban on weapons.
Old 06 May 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
In addition, regardless of what the NRA or secret service says most public venues have a standing ban on weapons.
That has been a contentious thing on Facebook with memes calling the NRA hypocrites because they ban guns at their own events. I pretty much contend that it's not their call and (AFAIK) they really haven't ever been against private venues banning guns. They target the government setting up gun free zones and loosening regulations on guns in general.
Old 06 May 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Which, of course, both Pence and Trump know perfectly well.

I wonder what they'd say if the Secret Service said 'It's OK with us'?
Hmmm, what would happen if T&P visited a school where teachers were required to be armed at all times?
Old 06 May 2018, 11:30 PM

Thank you mbravo. You have given us a new term for this dynamic duo - tp.
Old 06 May 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
That has been a contentious thing on Facebook with memes calling the NRA hypocrites because they ban guns at their own events. I pretty much contend that it's not their call and (AFAIK) they really haven't ever been against private venues banning guns. They target the government setting up gun free zones and loosening regulations on guns in general.
To a lot of people on both sides of the issue, private owners banning guns in their businesses and the government banning guns in public buildings is a distinction without a difference. I don't know if the NRA itself has put out any official statements condemning gun bans in privately owned buildings, but plenty of NRA members have and the organization has not done anything to stop them.

It's also lied about places where shootings occurred being weapons-free zones when they weren't. Umpqua Community College here in Roseburg had a policy of asking people not to bring weapons on campus but wouldn't stop people from doing so. It was still called a weapons-free zone after the shooting in 2015 and the fact that there were several people on campus with legal concealed handguns was largely ignored (since they didn't go charging off to save the day and instead chose to stay with everyone else in lockdown).
Old 07 May 2018, 12:03 AM

TP....hmmm...how appropriate considering what sh***y human beings the two of them are.
Old 07 May 2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
To a lot of people on both sides of the issue, private owners banning guns in their businesses and the government banning guns in public buildings is a distinction without a difference.
I'm not sure people fail to recognize the difference or just still have strong feelings on the subject, but yeah. Remember the open-carry kerfluffle between 5-10 years ago? I haven't heard anything on it lately but wouldn't be surprised if it's still at issue.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...99433593489048

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/sta...rry-gun-policy
Old 07 May 2018, 02:33 PM

Since one of the NRA's big arguments against gun-free zones is that criminals will ignore the rules and law-abiding gun owners will be defenseless, I'm not sure that there would be a difference between a private owner or a public building banning guns.