snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 10 June 2018, 12:58 PM

Default What cars did you see today?

... Since we were hijacking the "odd things" thread with talk about Maseratis and Teslas! Several of us seem to be interested in car spotting, but we've been twisting the definition of "odd" and this might deserve its own thread.

I saw a couple of interesting cars on my walk yesterday, apart from walking past a Lamborghini / Ferrari dealership in Penn that I'd not known was there. (I'm not sure that cars in a dealership window count...) Both were in Maidenhead, along the road by the river.

One was one of the TVR Wedges, which used to be more common but which I've not seen for a while. I don't know which model it was exactly, but it was one of the earlier ones before they started to round the corners, and it was pale blue with a small wing on the back.

And I saw a Chevrolet pickup truck from the 1950s, which would be unusual in the UK anyway, but this one had been very nicely restored to show standard and was shiny and new-looking. Again, I'm not sure which model it was but it could have been one of the 1950s versions of the Chevrolet Task Force - the photo captioned "1957 GMC Suburban Carrier" is a reasonable match.

Maybe this thread is redundant and we'll get bored with it, but between posts about this in the current "odd things" and "unhijackable" it seems there should be enough posts to fill it... Of course, genuinely odd cars can still go in odd things...
Old 10 June 2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... Since we were hijacking the "odd things" thread with talk about Maseratis and Teslas! Several of us seem to be interested in car spotting, but we've been twisting the definition of "odd" and this might deserve its own thread.
"Odd" (as far as cars go) is sort of subjective. A car may not be unusual by production numbers, or could be part of a production line that has long ceased, but if it shows up in an area where it isn't common, calling it "odd" isn't a stretch. Tesla, for all it's publicity of late (not to mention their sticker price) is still likely to have only a handful of dealerships in larger markets.

Almost every weekend in the summer, I have a really good chance of seeing Ford Model T's or other cars from the late 1920's to the early 1930's. That's because there is an active car club in Denver whose members collect them... to the point where I almost don't even give them a second look, and I've seen more of them than any model of Tesla.

There was also a club in Colorado for owners of mogs, but I don't know if they are still active or not. (There's no way I'll ever not notice a mog, no matter how many times I've seen them.)

~Psihala
(*Used to car-pool with someone who imported a right-side drive Suzuki Samurai... and took the brunt of other driver's reactions if they thought he did something boneheaded.)
Old 10 June 2018, 07:01 PM

I wish I knew car models better because I saw two interesting cars today. This morning was a 1960s CitroŽn 2CV (yellow), and in the evening something that had the backend of a 1950 Chevy Fleetline (red).
Old 10 June 2018, 07:17 PM

I saw this one Friday but forgot to mention it: On my way home from work I saw someone driving a vintage 1960s Porsche a few cars ahead of me at a traffic light.

I don't know if this counts as interesting or not, but my neighbor is selling a late 1970s Ford Ranchero. I saw it today because I see it every day.

ETA: They say that if you drive around California long enough you'll eventually see one of every car ever made. Partly because they never rust here, but also California is often the place where imported car brands are first introduced in the US before they expand sales to the entire nation. So California is probably the only place you'd find a 1960s Toyota or Datsun, because they were only sold on the west coast in those days I believe.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 10 June 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10 June 2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
This morning was a 1960s CitroŽn 2CV (yellow)
There was a nice old CitroŽn DS 23 parked outside my corner shop just now. It looked like it might have needed a bit of a polish, but it clearly still worked so somebody must have been looking after it anyway. I prefer the DS to the 2CV. This is a good example of a car that isn't really unusual enough to put in the other thread but I still like seeing because there aren't many around any more! I assume the owner of this one must live nearby but I don't remember seeing it before.

My aunt used to have a 2CV and my cousin loved it in the days when he was driving her car - he might even have been given it / bought it as his own first car eventually. Theirs was blue, as far as I remember.
Old 11 June 2018, 02:07 PM

Glasses

I saw an old, 1960s style Citroen (I have no idea of the model) last week. Today I saw the yellow Gran Torino I often see (because it's parked outside a house I walk my dog past) as well as one of the original Chargers (from the images I looked up, it's circa 1968) in a parking lot here at work.

The very first foreign car I saw and noticed was a Citroen, in about 1966. A school friend's parents had one. At the age of 6, I was extremely impressed by the velour seats.

Seaboe
Old 11 June 2018, 03:50 PM

This morning I saw an old 1960s station wagon of some sort, but I couldn't identify the make or model. Cosmetically, at least, it looked old and worn out. I'm guessing either it's someone's half finished project car, or the owner just likes the patina.

ETA: A Rambler Classic, maybe? That doesn't seem quite, though; all of those have four headlights and I'm pretty sure the car I saw had just two. It did seem like a more modest sized wagon for the era, though; not one of the huge barges some American makes were building back then.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 11 June 2018 at 04:01 PM.